Re: [S-R] Extent of Ottoman Empire in Upper Hungary (Slovakia)

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7, 2007
      Hi Helene:

      Here's a link to an interesting encyclopedia article regarding the CUMANS
      (KUNOK in Hungarian)

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans)

      Interestingly, the village of HELCMANOVCE may well have a CUMAN origin, as
      one of the old names of the village is NAGYKUNCZFALVA which appears to
      literally translate as "Great Cuman Village."

      In regard to the Turks, the Slovak surname TUREK literally means "TURK" and
      I've seen this surname in the Spis and Saris regions.

      Best regards,

      David

    • fernbrough
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2007
        Thanks for all of your input and advice.

        I intend to do more reading and searching.

        I asked the question because I knew after the occupied lands were
        vacated, Slovaks moved and settled into these areas.

        I thought Mala Vieska, just north of Kosice was one of these areas.

        Thanks, again.
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2007
          I tried to locate Mala Vieska on my Slovak Road Atlas. There was no such place listed.
          I did an online search and found references to it. One even gave the coordinates 48 degrees 48 minutes by 21 degrees 15 minutes.
          Google Earth placed those coordinates in present Druzstevna pri Hornade. It appears your village was incorporated into another.
          There is a website for the town, www.druzstevna.sk, it is only in Slovak. Nonetheless, if you click on the Historia link you will find the story of Mala Vieska.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2007
            Helene,
            It was your message about Dr. Sutherland's reference to the Plavci and Plavec that got me investigating them years ago. My ancestal village of Hromos is only 3 km from Plavec and Plavnica.
            I wrote Dr. Nora Berend in England, she lectures on the Cumani. I told her of Dr. Sutherland's reference. She said that she has never in research found such a reference.
            If you can ask Dr. Sutherland where he learned of the Plavci and Plav town connection I would very much be interested in it.
            The Historical Atlas of Central Europe, Map 6: Central Europe, ca. 1250 refer to the Cumani in Hungary as the Kuns. The settled predominately in central Hungary between the Ipel' and Tisza rivers.
            The Avars are interesting. Their Avar Khanate in the north was in the Slovaks territory. The H.A.C.E., Map 3:Central Europe, 7th and 8th centuries shows the Slovaks occupied the the territory south of the Carpathian Mountains, west almost to the Morava River, east and south to what is much of modern Slovakia. What the Avars did was bring new Slavs with them when the invaded from the east and then took them to the Balkans, along with established Slavs of the territory, ie. the Slovaks. When the Avars retreated back to their Khanate the Slavs stayed behind. Resulting in Carinthian and Pannonian Slavs being established. The Slavic Croats and Serbs were established when the Byzantine Emperor invited them to settle in the Empires hinderlands as a buffer to the Avars.
            The Avars were a nomadic people of Mongolian or Turco-Tatar origin. After their defeat in the 810s it only took a decade for the reference to Avars was no longer used. A number of them are said to have gone to Nitra (Slovakia) to help form a new state. Their hypothetical descendants, the Szekely (who apparently preserved the Avar Dragon Totem well into the 15th century were relocated to Transylvania in the 12th century.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007
              Hello:

              In regard to the Cumans (also known as POLOVCY in Russian and POLOVTSI in
              Ukrainian), there are several counties in Hungarian -- BACS-KISKUN and
              JASZ-NAGYKUN-SZOLNOK that had significant populations of Cumans (KUN in Hungarian --
              KUNOK (plural) in Hungarian). I believe that the PALOC people in NOGRAD
              county -- centered around HOLLOKO -- may possibly be of Cuman origin as well, as
              I have seen a reference that the name is derived from the Slavic name for the
              Cumans. The village of HOLLOKO in northern Hungary is on the UNESCO World
              Heritage List.

              Best regards,

              David

            • Paul Tomasko
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                Hello everyone

                I have been following along with these postings finding it very interesting.
                In my family which comes from the village of Siba, County Saris, my
                fathers brother has a very distinctive Asian look to him. He really looks
                like the guy from the movie Karate Kid, (you know wax on, wax off) I do not
                have any proof or cement facts and just figured that when the Khan invaded
                they raped, and burned villages. Or there was always the chance my 5th or
                6th Great Grandmother really liked a big hulking Mongol and took him as a
                husband. My question is...Is this a trait that is seen often in families
                coming from North Eastern Slovakia?

                Thank you all

                Paul Tomasko

                searching surnames: Tomasko, Tomascin, Tomascsin, Tomastyik, Mackanin,
                Macskanyin, Homa

              • david1law@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                  Hi Paul:

                  It would be hard to tell, based upon looks alone, whether any bloodline
                  traces back to an Asian ancestor, although it certainly possible. The city of
                  PRESOV in SARIS county was a cross-roads to the north and south, as well as to
                  the east and west, and over time, there were at least several Asian groups
                  that may have influenced the genetics of the population, including the Mongols,
                  the Cumans, and the Sarmatians. Interestingly, the Slavic name for the
                  Cumans -- POLOVTSI means "pale" or "yellow" so that may also be a possibility. In
                  addition, a Sarmatian tribe known as the IAZYGES (JASZ in Hungarian),
                  another ethnic group from the Sea of Azov area in Asia, probably had the most
                  profound interaction with the Slavs, and were a neighboring people as the word for
                  "tongue" / "language" / "accent" in Slovak is JAZYK and derived from the
                  name of the Sarmatian IAZGYES/JAZYGES.

                  _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges)

                  Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                  between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                  _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_
                  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians)

                  I find the history of the territory of Slovakia and the various ethnic
                  groups who influenced the region over the centuries to be quite fascinating. By
                  the way, there was a great show on the History Channel's Digging for the Truth
                  with Josh Bernstein regarding the Mongols and tracing some the DNA of some
                  modern day Mongols back to Genghis Khan. I believe it was the episode "Lost
                  World of Genghis Khan." You may be able to find some information about the
                  show on the web if you do a GOOGLE search).

                  Your surname -- TOMASKO -- also caught my attention. One of my great,
                  great, great grandmothers is a SUSANNA TOMASOV. I have found the TOMASOV surname
                  to be rather uncommon in Slovakia, and it has been mentioned to me from a
                  very reliable source that there are other variations of the surname, one of
                  which may be TOMASKO. (Helene, if you are reading this posting, please be so kind
                  as to refresh my recollection as to other derivations of the TOMASOV
                  surname. I believe you mentioned to me a long time ago that it may be something
                  like TOMKO or TOMASKO). My TOMASOV clan is from the village of HRISOVCE in SPIS
                  county, right on the border of SARIS. I do not know if there is any
                  connection, but you never know.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                    Paul,
                    Slovakia is one of those 'cross-road' locations where migration paths over history have come through or near it. In an earlier reply I wrote of the Avars from Mongolia in 700's and 800's. In the 900's the Magyars came. Around 1050 the Pechenegs, who were allied with the Cumani were in the upper half of modern Slovakia. In the 1200's the Cumani/Kuns.
                    Siba is in the traditional area of the Sub-Carpathian Rusyns. The potential to have any and all of these groups in our DNA is there.
                    I submitted my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic project. My 12 marker analysis showed my DNA migration path left Africa, went through the Middle East, Central Asia, Northeast Europe and finally with major populations in France, Spain and the British Isles. The 12 marker analysis is good for my ancestors 10,000 years ago. By having more markers done I would get more specific and closer to me profile of my DNA. It would also narrow the pool of people that are related to me. With the 12 marker I have been sent a list of over 1000 people that have identical DNA profiles. Which means 10,000 years ago we shared a common ancestor. Talk about distant cousins!
                    Michael

                  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Dear David,
                      Hrisovce had 53 house numbers in 1869 Census.
                      #25 was Alojz Tomasov
                      I have a client, who also has ancestors from Hrisovce ( actually I am
                      working on that right now).
                      The whole village was heavily interrelated.
                      Please, contact me off list.
                      Regards,
                      Vladimir

                      _____

                      _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_>
                      .org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia
                      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges> .org/wiki/Iazyges)

                      Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                      between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                      _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_>
                      .org/wiki/Sarmatians_

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 8, 2007
                        Hi Vladimir:

                        Thank you very much for the information regarding Hrisovce. I would
                        definitely like to learn more about the potential contact. What is your e-mail
                        address? Thank you again.

                        Please

                        Best regards,

                        David

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 8, 2007
                          Dear David,
                          here I am
                          Vladimir Bohinc
                          Professional Genealogist
                          KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
                          Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
                          e-mail: konekta@...
                          web page: www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/>

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 9, 2007
                            Thanks to all for the really fascinating comments on
                            this topic - this is where our group shines - all that
                            wonderful knowledge and expertise and willingness to
                            share. Bravo!!!!

                            helene

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • david1law@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17, 2007
                              Dear Vladimir:

                              Thank you very much for putting me in touch with Stephen Zehala, whose
                              ancestors are also from the village of Hrisovce. He spoke very highly of your
                              genealogical work for him. You became their adopted family hero. It definitely
                              looks like we share common roots in the TOMASOV clan. You were also right
                              that I would recognize many of the other names connected with their family.
                              Thank you again, my friend.

                              Best regards,

                              David

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 17, 2007
                                Hi Helene:

                                Thank you for the postings of the surnames and villages in the SLOVAK PRIDE
                                database. Your work helped me to connect to a third cousin of mine, ALENA
                                BALOGA, in the village of HRISOVCE, where my grandfather ANDREW BALOGA and my
                                great grandfather NICHOLAS BALOGA were born. ALENA is a descendant of my
                                great grandfather's brother MATHIAS BALOGA, and we are both descendants of my
                                great, great grandparents JAN BALOGA and SUSANNA TOMASOV. Thank you again for
                                all your work

                                Best regards,

                                David Michael Baloga