Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
      Greg,

      Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of the LDS) wrecks through
      your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are just use to being in it
      that it's all you can see.

      I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative comments about the LDS their
      efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our ancestors ---- and that was
      all it was a simple correction to a mistake and chastening for your total
      disrespect for others.

      Peace to you!!!!

      This is an end to something that our ancestors would be vehemently against.

      Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be attached for defending a
      group of people (LDS) from misinformation.
    • gregory lantay
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
        A RESPONSE FOR EVERYONE TO READ:

        How is this guy or gal? I myself have high regard for
        the LDS church, its mission, and for 99.8% of its
        members. I'm retired and have no problems at all, I
        just like to say it the way it is - I'm sorry if what
        I've said may have been misintrepreted! I live in
        AMERICA (USA) and not in Europe or someplace else.
        I'm not bashing anyone in particular, and especially
        not the LDS church. JAWJOHNSON is the problem!!!

        I don't believe I've said anything wrong or bad, nor
        am I saying anything wrong or bad right now. I don't
        know what your problem is? You're apparently taking
        what I've written way out of context and have
        interpreted it in some kind of weird way?? You're
        reminding of a a weirdo I say on TTV briefly before I
        tuned him out (his name was Howard Stern). Who are
        you to judge anyone?

        So STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Forget you! -
        I HOPE THEY PULL YOU OFF THIS WEB-SITE or at least
        slap your hand. I repeat myself, I have no problems
        with anyone or anything except for the way some
        individuals like jawjohnson put themselves above the
        LDS church and everyone else by makeing judgments.
        SO STOP IT!!!!

        I'm now done with you! "please go crawl back under the
        rock you came out from under".
        Greg

        --- Jawjohnson16@... wrote:
        > Greg,
        >
        > Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of
        > the LDS) wrecks through
        > your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are
        > just use to being in it
        > that it's all you can see.
        >
        > I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative
        > comments about the LDS their
        > efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our
        > ancestors ---- and that was
        > all it was a simple correction to a mistake and
        > chastening for your total
        > disrespect for others.
        >
        > Peace to you!!!!
        >
        > This is an end to something that our ancestors would
        > be vehemently against.
        >
        > Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be
        > attached for defending a
        > group of people (LDS) from misinformation.

        > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for
        > trying @Backup
        > Get automatic protection and access to your
        > important computer files.
        > Install today:

        http://click.egroups.com/1/4874/0/_/545880/_/959909511/

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Fred Corbett
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
          You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
          verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
          spelled different from what you expected.

          Fred

          Eric Haas wrote:

          > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
          >
          > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
          > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
          > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
          > > security number to find out more information about her?
          >
          > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
          > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

          > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
          > experiments.
        • Kathleen Duvall
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
            > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
            > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
            > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
            > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
            > fingers do the walking. >

            How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
            information?

            I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
            her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
            all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
            They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.

            I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
            disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......

            As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
            many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
            on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
            Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
            only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
            the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
            Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
            brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937

            From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
            names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
            out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
            now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
            puzzle.

            And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
            my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
            Zsuzsa.

            I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!

            Kathleen in Florida
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
              Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
              1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

              > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
              > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
              > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
              > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
              > > fingers do the walking. >
              >
              > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
              > information?
              >
              > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
              > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
              > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
              > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
              >
              > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
              > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
              >
              > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
              > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
              > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
              > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
              > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
              > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
              > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
              > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
              >
              > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
              > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
              > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
              > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
              > puzzle.
              >
              > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
              > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
              > Zsuzsa.
              >
              > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
              >
              > Kathleen in Florida

              > Old school buds here:

            • Kathleen Duvall
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                > You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
                > pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
                > think it is more fun to do it the hard way.>

                And there's the Eureka factor. Have you ever found that crucial piece
                of information and say Eureka! I have -- corny as I must have sounded,
                alone as I was. :) It's a great feeling.

                Kathleen in Florida
                researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
              • Brecosky
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                  Kathleen:

                  I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                  south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                  can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                  this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                  connection!

                  Anita B.

                  SNIP
                  > They settled in Pittsburgh
                  SNIP
                  > Kathleen in Florida
                • jallen50
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                    in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.

                    Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                    1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                    > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                    > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                    > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                    > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                    > > fingers do the walking. >
                    >
                    > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                    > information?
                    >
                    > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                    > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                    > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                    > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                    >
                    > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                    > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                    >
                    > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                    > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                    > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                    > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                    > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                    > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                    > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                    > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                    >
                    > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                    > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                    > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                    > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                    > puzzle.
                    >
                    > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                    > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                    > Zsuzsa.
                    >
                    > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                    >
                    > Kathleen in Florida

                    > Old school buds here:

                    Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                    more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                    rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/0/_/545880/_/960337979/
                  • Kathleen Duvall
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                      > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                      > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                      > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                      > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                      > connection! Anita B.>

                      Thanks so much Anita!

                      I was born in Pittsburgh. My family moved to Arizona in 1956 --
                      everyone still thought it was the land of opportunity, I guess! I love
                      Pennsylvania and wish they had never moved.

                      After WWII, my parents lived with my grandparents in a section of
                      Pittsburgh that I think has since been torn down to make 3 Rivers
                      Stadium. My husband and I were up there in 1994 trying to find the
                      street they lived on and that I remembered so well, but even though it
                      was on the map, we couldn't locate it anywhere.

                      Just reminiscing.

                      Kathleen in Florida
                      researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                    • Kathleen Duvall
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                        > Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                        > in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.>

                        Me too! I want to know too. :)

                        Kathleen in Florida
                        researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                      • Kathleen Duvall
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                          > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                          > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                          > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                          > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                          > connection! Anita B.>

                          Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                          population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                          Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

                          Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
                          the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
                          card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
                          she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
                          were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                          work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

                          I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                          then (1911 and on)?

                          I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                          wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                          a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                          security number to find out more information about her?

                          Thanks so much!

                          Kathleen in Florida
                          researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                        • Eric Haas
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                            Kathleen Duvall wrote:

                            > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                            > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                            > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                            > security number to find out more information about her?

                            With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                            application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
                          • Frank Kurchina
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
                              wrote:
                              > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
                              live just
                              > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
                              anything I
                              > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
                              only been on
                              > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
                              Pittsburgh
                              > > connection! Anita B.>
                              >
                              > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                              > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                              > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
                              >
                              > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
                              in
                              > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
                              Security
                              > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
                              assumed
                              > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
                              women
                              > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                              > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
                              >
                              > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                              > then (1911 and on)?
                              >
                              > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                              > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
                              did have
                              > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
                              social
                              > security number to find out more information about her?
                              >
                              > Thanks so much!
                              >
                              > Kathleen in Florida
                              > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                              Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
                              5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

                              http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
                              0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
                              23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                              59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

                              http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
                              &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
                              =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                              Social Security began in 1937.
                              If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
                              applied for her death benefit payments.

                              You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
                              The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
                              entered from the SSDI information.
                              The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
                              origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

                              Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

                              =>
                              1.Certificate of Arrival
                              (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
                              about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
                              individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
                              port of entry upon arrival)

                              2.Declaration of Intention
                              (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
                              of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
                              foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
                              embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

                              3.Petition for Naturalization
                              (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
                              names of two witnesses)

                              4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
                              (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
                              items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
                              souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

                              Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
                              her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
                              if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
                              to wait until after 21st birthday.
                              Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

                              Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
                              Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
                              Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
                              Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
                              were already living.

                              No green cards back then.