Re: [S-R] Extent of Ottoman Empire in Upper Hungary (Slovakia)

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7 4:51 AM
      Thanks Michael! Intrigued by the Cumani people. Dr.
      Tony Sutherland of Jednota told me that they were also
      called the Plavci people and the various places with
      Plavec in the village name were settled by them for
      example Plavec in Saris in eastern Slovakia and
      Plavecky Podhradie in southwestern Slovakia.

      Fascinating to think of such a major migration by such
      an exotic peoples. Also intrigued with the fierce
      Avars who were known for their beautiful motifs,
      (possibly related to the famed Scythians) and for
      their songs!

      helene

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7 5:10 AM
        Hi Helene:

        Here's a link to an interesting encyclopedia article regarding the CUMANS
        (KUNOK in Hungarian)

        _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans)

        Interestingly, the village of HELCMANOVCE may well have a CUMAN origin, as
        one of the old names of the village is NAGYKUNCZFALVA which appears to
        literally translate as "Great Cuman Village."

        In regard to the Turks, the Slovak surname TUREK literally means "TURK" and
        I've seen this surname in the Spis and Saris regions.

        Best regards,

        David

      • fernbrough
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7 5:46 AM
          Thanks for all of your input and advice.

          I intend to do more reading and searching.

          I asked the question because I knew after the occupied lands were
          vacated, Slovaks moved and settled into these areas.

          I thought Mala Vieska, just north of Kosice was one of these areas.

          Thanks, again.
        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7 3:00 PM
            I tried to locate Mala Vieska on my Slovak Road Atlas. There was no such place listed.
            I did an online search and found references to it. One even gave the coordinates 48 degrees 48 minutes by 21 degrees 15 minutes.
            Google Earth placed those coordinates in present Druzstevna pri Hornade. It appears your village was incorporated into another.
            There is a website for the town, www.druzstevna.sk, it is only in Slovak. Nonetheless, if you click on the Historia link you will find the story of Mala Vieska.
            Michael Mojher

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7 4:08 PM
              Helene,
              It was your message about Dr. Sutherland's reference to the Plavci and Plavec that got me investigating them years ago. My ancestal village of Hromos is only 3 km from Plavec and Plavnica.
              I wrote Dr. Nora Berend in England, she lectures on the Cumani. I told her of Dr. Sutherland's reference. She said that she has never in research found such a reference.
              If you can ask Dr. Sutherland where he learned of the Plavci and Plav town connection I would very much be interested in it.
              The Historical Atlas of Central Europe, Map 6: Central Europe, ca. 1250 refer to the Cumani in Hungary as the Kuns. The settled predominately in central Hungary between the Ipel' and Tisza rivers.
              The Avars are interesting. Their Avar Khanate in the north was in the Slovaks territory. The H.A.C.E., Map 3:Central Europe, 7th and 8th centuries shows the Slovaks occupied the the territory south of the Carpathian Mountains, west almost to the Morava River, east and south to what is much of modern Slovakia. What the Avars did was bring new Slavs with them when the invaded from the east and then took them to the Balkans, along with established Slavs of the territory, ie. the Slovaks. When the Avars retreated back to their Khanate the Slavs stayed behind. Resulting in Carinthian and Pannonian Slavs being established. The Slavic Croats and Serbs were established when the Byzantine Emperor invited them to settle in the Empires hinderlands as a buffer to the Avars.
              The Avars were a nomadic people of Mongolian or Turco-Tatar origin. After their defeat in the 810s it only took a decade for the reference to Avars was no longer used. A number of them are said to have gone to Nitra (Slovakia) to help form a new state. Their hypothetical descendants, the Szekely (who apparently preserved the Avar Dragon Totem well into the 15th century were relocated to Transylvania in the 12th century.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7 4:27 PM
                Hello:

                In regard to the Cumans (also known as POLOVCY in Russian and POLOVTSI in
                Ukrainian), there are several counties in Hungarian -- BACS-KISKUN and
                JASZ-NAGYKUN-SZOLNOK that had significant populations of Cumans (KUN in Hungarian --
                KUNOK (plural) in Hungarian). I believe that the PALOC people in NOGRAD
                county -- centered around HOLLOKO -- may possibly be of Cuman origin as well, as
                I have seen a reference that the name is derived from the Slavic name for the
                Cumans. The village of HOLLOKO in northern Hungary is on the UNESCO World
                Heritage List.

                Best regards,

                David

              • Paul Tomasko
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7 5:12 PM
                  Hello everyone

                  I have been following along with these postings finding it very interesting.
                  In my family which comes from the village of Siba, County Saris, my
                  fathers brother has a very distinctive Asian look to him. He really looks
                  like the guy from the movie Karate Kid, (you know wax on, wax off) I do not
                  have any proof or cement facts and just figured that when the Khan invaded
                  they raped, and burned villages. Or there was always the chance my 5th or
                  6th Great Grandmother really liked a big hulking Mongol and took him as a
                  husband. My question is...Is this a trait that is seen often in families
                  coming from North Eastern Slovakia?

                  Thank you all

                  Paul Tomasko

                  searching surnames: Tomasko, Tomascin, Tomascsin, Tomastyik, Mackanin,
                  Macskanyin, Homa

                • david1law@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7 7:24 PM
                    Hi Paul:

                    It would be hard to tell, based upon looks alone, whether any bloodline
                    traces back to an Asian ancestor, although it certainly possible. The city of
                    PRESOV in SARIS county was a cross-roads to the north and south, as well as to
                    the east and west, and over time, there were at least several Asian groups
                    that may have influenced the genetics of the population, including the Mongols,
                    the Cumans, and the Sarmatians. Interestingly, the Slavic name for the
                    Cumans -- POLOVTSI means "pale" or "yellow" so that may also be a possibility. In
                    addition, a Sarmatian tribe known as the IAZYGES (JASZ in Hungarian),
                    another ethnic group from the Sea of Azov area in Asia, probably had the most
                    profound interaction with the Slavs, and were a neighboring people as the word for
                    "tongue" / "language" / "accent" in Slovak is JAZYK and derived from the
                    name of the Sarmatian IAZGYES/JAZYGES.

                    _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges)

                    Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                    between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                    _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_
                    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians)

                    I find the history of the territory of Slovakia and the various ethnic
                    groups who influenced the region over the centuries to be quite fascinating. By
                    the way, there was a great show on the History Channel's Digging for the Truth
                    with Josh Bernstein regarding the Mongols and tracing some the DNA of some
                    modern day Mongols back to Genghis Khan. I believe it was the episode "Lost
                    World of Genghis Khan." You may be able to find some information about the
                    show on the web if you do a GOOGLE search).

                    Your surname -- TOMASKO -- also caught my attention. One of my great,
                    great, great grandmothers is a SUSANNA TOMASOV. I have found the TOMASOV surname
                    to be rather uncommon in Slovakia, and it has been mentioned to me from a
                    very reliable source that there are other variations of the surname, one of
                    which may be TOMASKO. (Helene, if you are reading this posting, please be so kind
                    as to refresh my recollection as to other derivations of the TOMASOV
                    surname. I believe you mentioned to me a long time ago that it may be something
                    like TOMKO or TOMASKO). My TOMASOV clan is from the village of HRISOVCE in SPIS
                    county, right on the border of SARIS. I do not know if there is any
                    connection, but you never know.

                    Best regards,

                    David

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7 8:01 PM
                      Paul,
                      Slovakia is one of those 'cross-road' locations where migration paths over history have come through or near it. In an earlier reply I wrote of the Avars from Mongolia in 700's and 800's. In the 900's the Magyars came. Around 1050 the Pechenegs, who were allied with the Cumani were in the upper half of modern Slovakia. In the 1200's the Cumani/Kuns.
                      Siba is in the traditional area of the Sub-Carpathian Rusyns. The potential to have any and all of these groups in our DNA is there.
                      I submitted my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic project. My 12 marker analysis showed my DNA migration path left Africa, went through the Middle East, Central Asia, Northeast Europe and finally with major populations in France, Spain and the British Isles. The 12 marker analysis is good for my ancestors 10,000 years ago. By having more markers done I would get more specific and closer to me profile of my DNA. It would also narrow the pool of people that are related to me. With the 12 marker I have been sent a list of over 1000 people that have identical DNA profiles. Which means 10,000 years ago we shared a common ancestor. Talk about distant cousins!
                      Michael

                    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7 10:04 PM
                        Dear David,
                        Hrisovce had 53 house numbers in 1869 Census.
                        #25 was Alojz Tomasov
                        I have a client, who also has ancestors from Hrisovce ( actually I am
                        working on that right now).
                        The whole village was heavily interrelated.
                        Please, contact me off list.
                        Regards,
                        Vladimir

                        _____

                        _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_>
                        .org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia
                        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges> .org/wiki/Iazyges)

                        Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                        between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                        _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_>
                        .org/wiki/Sarmatians_

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 8 1:07 AM
                          Hi Vladimir:

                          Thank you very much for the information regarding Hrisovce. I would
                          definitely like to learn more about the potential contact. What is your e-mail
                          address? Thank you again.

                          Please

                          Best regards,

                          David

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 8 2:03 PM
                            Dear David,
                            here I am
                            Vladimir Bohinc
                            Professional Genealogist
                            KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
                            Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
                            e-mail: konekta@...
                            web page: www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/>

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 9 5:13 PM
                              Thanks to all for the really fascinating comments on
                              this topic - this is where our group shines - all that
                              wonderful knowledge and expertise and willingness to
                              share. Bravo!!!!

                              helene

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • david1law@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 17 8:48 AM
                                Dear Vladimir:

                                Thank you very much for putting me in touch with Stephen Zehala, whose
                                ancestors are also from the village of Hrisovce. He spoke very highly of your
                                genealogical work for him. You became their adopted family hero. It definitely
                                looks like we share common roots in the TOMASOV clan. You were also right
                                that I would recognize many of the other names connected with their family.
                                Thank you again, my friend.

                                Best regards,

                                David

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 17 6:56 PM
                                  Hi Helene:

                                  Thank you for the postings of the surnames and villages in the SLOVAK PRIDE
                                  database. Your work helped me to connect to a third cousin of mine, ALENA
                                  BALOGA, in the village of HRISOVCE, where my grandfather ANDREW BALOGA and my
                                  great grandfather NICHOLAS BALOGA were born. ALENA is a descendant of my
                                  great grandfather's brother MATHIAS BALOGA, and we are both descendants of my
                                  great, great grandparents JAN BALOGA and SUSANNA TOMASOV. Thank you again for
                                  all your work

                                  Best regards,

                                  David Michael Baloga