Re: [S-R] Extent of Ottoman Empire in Upper Hungary (Slovakia)

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 24 , May 6, 2007
      Have you seen Karel Plicka's photograph of women in
      Levice - they look totally oriental - maybe it was the
      earlier incursion of Tatars that casued this

      However I seem to recall that that area was occupied
      by the Turks much longer than a year - more like
      decades.

      But this is only an impression - nice to get more info
      on something that is hard to research in English.
      thanks to all

      helene

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 24 , May 6, 2007
        The Ottoman Empire extended over much of Hungary for 150 years or so, but
        there were continuous wars that constantly shifted the borders. Read
        Gardonyi's Eclipse of the Crescent Moon about the attack on the fortress at
        Eger when the Turks tried to extend their dominion. Between 50,000 and
        200,000 Turks (estimates vary) were defeated by 2000 defenders at Eger. It
        is a very exciting tale based on history. But 30 years later the Turks
        returned and Eger finally fell. At the height of the Ottoman Empire, Eger
        was included, near its northernmost border.

        Janet

        _____

        --- Michael Mojher <mgmojher@comcast. <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net> net>
        wrote:

        > An article in Spectacular Slovakia said in 1663 the
        > Ottoman's controlled Nita, Nove Zamky and Levice,
        > only for one year.

        http://farechase. <http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097>
        yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 24 , May 6, 2007
          Helene,
          In the 1200's a people called the Cumani joined forces with the Hungarian Empire to make a stand against Genghis Khan. Genghis Khan died before reaching Hungary. The Hungarians allowed 40,000 Cumani to settle in through out the Empire. What is interesting about the Cumani is that the emigrated from along the Yellow River below Mongolia. They were not a purely Asian race. They belonged to a Turkic group. Nonetheless, they had a very distinctive look, some with very 'almond' eyes.
          I suspect that your photograph of the women in Levice was of Cumani heritage. By the Ottoman invasion they had been living in Hungary for 400 years.
          Michael
          Have you seen Karel Plicka's photograph of women in
          Levice - they look totally oriental - maybe it was the
          earlier incursion of Tatars that casued this

          However I seem to recall that that area was occupied
          by the Turks much longer than a year - more like
          decades.

          But this is only an impression - nice to get more info
          on something that is hard to research in English.
          thanks to all

          helene

          --- Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > An article in Spectacular Slovakia said in 1663 the
          > Ottoman's controlled Nita, Nove Zamky and Levice,
          > only for one year.

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2007
            Thanks Michael! Intrigued by the Cumani people. Dr.
            Tony Sutherland of Jednota told me that they were also
            called the Plavci people and the various places with
            Plavec in the village name were settled by them for
            example Plavec in Saris in eastern Slovakia and
            Plavecky Podhradie in southwestern Slovakia.

            Fascinating to think of such a major migration by such
            an exotic peoples. Also intrigued with the fierce
            Avars who were known for their beautiful motifs,
            (possibly related to the famed Scythians) and for
            their songs!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007
              Hi Helene:

              Here's a link to an interesting encyclopedia article regarding the CUMANS
              (KUNOK in Hungarian)

              _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans)

              Interestingly, the village of HELCMANOVCE may well have a CUMAN origin, as
              one of the old names of the village is NAGYKUNCZFALVA which appears to
              literally translate as "Great Cuman Village."

              In regard to the Turks, the Slovak surname TUREK literally means "TURK" and
              I've seen this surname in the Spis and Saris regions.

              Best regards,

              David

            • fernbrough
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                Thanks for all of your input and advice.

                I intend to do more reading and searching.

                I asked the question because I knew after the occupied lands were
                vacated, Slovaks moved and settled into these areas.

                I thought Mala Vieska, just north of Kosice was one of these areas.

                Thanks, again.
              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                  I tried to locate Mala Vieska on my Slovak Road Atlas. There was no such place listed.
                  I did an online search and found references to it. One even gave the coordinates 48 degrees 48 minutes by 21 degrees 15 minutes.
                  Google Earth placed those coordinates in present Druzstevna pri Hornade. It appears your village was incorporated into another.
                  There is a website for the town, www.druzstevna.sk, it is only in Slovak. Nonetheless, if you click on the Historia link you will find the story of Mala Vieska.
                  Michael Mojher

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                    Helene,
                    It was your message about Dr. Sutherland's reference to the Plavci and Plavec that got me investigating them years ago. My ancestal village of Hromos is only 3 km from Plavec and Plavnica.
                    I wrote Dr. Nora Berend in England, she lectures on the Cumani. I told her of Dr. Sutherland's reference. She said that she has never in research found such a reference.
                    If you can ask Dr. Sutherland where he learned of the Plavci and Plav town connection I would very much be interested in it.
                    The Historical Atlas of Central Europe, Map 6: Central Europe, ca. 1250 refer to the Cumani in Hungary as the Kuns. The settled predominately in central Hungary between the Ipel' and Tisza rivers.
                    The Avars are interesting. Their Avar Khanate in the north was in the Slovaks territory. The H.A.C.E., Map 3:Central Europe, 7th and 8th centuries shows the Slovaks occupied the the territory south of the Carpathian Mountains, west almost to the Morava River, east and south to what is much of modern Slovakia. What the Avars did was bring new Slavs with them when the invaded from the east and then took them to the Balkans, along with established Slavs of the territory, ie. the Slovaks. When the Avars retreated back to their Khanate the Slavs stayed behind. Resulting in Carinthian and Pannonian Slavs being established. The Slavic Croats and Serbs were established when the Byzantine Emperor invited them to settle in the Empires hinderlands as a buffer to the Avars.
                    The Avars were a nomadic people of Mongolian or Turco-Tatar origin. After their defeat in the 810s it only took a decade for the reference to Avars was no longer used. A number of them are said to have gone to Nitra (Slovakia) to help form a new state. Their hypothetical descendants, the Szekely (who apparently preserved the Avar Dragon Totem well into the 15th century were relocated to Transylvania in the 12th century.

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Hello:

                      In regard to the Cumans (also known as POLOVCY in Russian and POLOVTSI in
                      Ukrainian), there are several counties in Hungarian -- BACS-KISKUN and
                      JASZ-NAGYKUN-SZOLNOK that had significant populations of Cumans (KUN in Hungarian --
                      KUNOK (plural) in Hungarian). I believe that the PALOC people in NOGRAD
                      county -- centered around HOLLOKO -- may possibly be of Cuman origin as well, as
                      I have seen a reference that the name is derived from the Slavic name for the
                      Cumans. The village of HOLLOKO in northern Hungary is on the UNESCO World
                      Heritage List.

                      Best regards,

                      David

                    • Paul Tomasko
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        Hello everyone

                        I have been following along with these postings finding it very interesting.
                        In my family which comes from the village of Siba, County Saris, my
                        fathers brother has a very distinctive Asian look to him. He really looks
                        like the guy from the movie Karate Kid, (you know wax on, wax off) I do not
                        have any proof or cement facts and just figured that when the Khan invaded
                        they raped, and burned villages. Or there was always the chance my 5th or
                        6th Great Grandmother really liked a big hulking Mongol and took him as a
                        husband. My question is...Is this a trait that is seen often in families
                        coming from North Eastern Slovakia?

                        Thank you all

                        Paul Tomasko

                        searching surnames: Tomasko, Tomascin, Tomascsin, Tomastyik, Mackanin,
                        Macskanyin, Homa

                      • david1law@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          Hi Paul:

                          It would be hard to tell, based upon looks alone, whether any bloodline
                          traces back to an Asian ancestor, although it certainly possible. The city of
                          PRESOV in SARIS county was a cross-roads to the north and south, as well as to
                          the east and west, and over time, there were at least several Asian groups
                          that may have influenced the genetics of the population, including the Mongols,
                          the Cumans, and the Sarmatians. Interestingly, the Slavic name for the
                          Cumans -- POLOVTSI means "pale" or "yellow" so that may also be a possibility. In
                          addition, a Sarmatian tribe known as the IAZYGES (JASZ in Hungarian),
                          another ethnic group from the Sea of Azov area in Asia, probably had the most
                          profound interaction with the Slavs, and were a neighboring people as the word for
                          "tongue" / "language" / "accent" in Slovak is JAZYK and derived from the
                          name of the Sarmatian IAZGYES/JAZYGES.

                          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges)

                          Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                          between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_
                          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians)

                          I find the history of the territory of Slovakia and the various ethnic
                          groups who influenced the region over the centuries to be quite fascinating. By
                          the way, there was a great show on the History Channel's Digging for the Truth
                          with Josh Bernstein regarding the Mongols and tracing some the DNA of some
                          modern day Mongols back to Genghis Khan. I believe it was the episode "Lost
                          World of Genghis Khan." You may be able to find some information about the
                          show on the web if you do a GOOGLE search).

                          Your surname -- TOMASKO -- also caught my attention. One of my great,
                          great, great grandmothers is a SUSANNA TOMASOV. I have found the TOMASOV surname
                          to be rather uncommon in Slovakia, and it has been mentioned to me from a
                          very reliable source that there are other variations of the surname, one of
                          which may be TOMASKO. (Helene, if you are reading this posting, please be so kind
                          as to refresh my recollection as to other derivations of the TOMASOV
                          surname. I believe you mentioned to me a long time ago that it may be something
                          like TOMKO or TOMASKO). My TOMASOV clan is from the village of HRISOVCE in SPIS
                          county, right on the border of SARIS. I do not know if there is any
                          connection, but you never know.

                          Best regards,

                          David

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Paul,
                            Slovakia is one of those 'cross-road' locations where migration paths over history have come through or near it. In an earlier reply I wrote of the Avars from Mongolia in 700's and 800's. In the 900's the Magyars came. Around 1050 the Pechenegs, who were allied with the Cumani were in the upper half of modern Slovakia. In the 1200's the Cumani/Kuns.
                            Siba is in the traditional area of the Sub-Carpathian Rusyns. The potential to have any and all of these groups in our DNA is there.
                            I submitted my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic project. My 12 marker analysis showed my DNA migration path left Africa, went through the Middle East, Central Asia, Northeast Europe and finally with major populations in France, Spain and the British Isles. The 12 marker analysis is good for my ancestors 10,000 years ago. By having more markers done I would get more specific and closer to me profile of my DNA. It would also narrow the pool of people that are related to me. With the 12 marker I have been sent a list of over 1000 people that have identical DNA profiles. Which means 10,000 years ago we shared a common ancestor. Talk about distant cousins!
                            Michael

                          • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                              Dear David,
                              Hrisovce had 53 house numbers in 1869 Census.
                              #25 was Alojz Tomasov
                              I have a client, who also has ancestors from Hrisovce ( actually I am
                              working on that right now).
                              The whole village was heavily interrelated.
                              Please, contact me off list.
                              Regards,
                              Vladimir

                              _____

                              _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_>
                              .org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia
                              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges> .org/wiki/Iazyges)

                              Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                              between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                              _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_>
                              .org/wiki/Sarmatians_

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 8, 2007
                                Hi Vladimir:

                                Thank you very much for the information regarding Hrisovce. I would
                                definitely like to learn more about the potential contact. What is your e-mail
                                address? Thank you again.

                                Please

                                Best regards,

                                David

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 8, 2007
                                  Dear David,
                                  here I am
                                  Vladimir Bohinc
                                  Professional Genealogist
                                  KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
                                  Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
                                  e-mail: konekta@...
                                  web page: www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/>

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 9, 2007
                                    Thanks to all for the really fascinating comments on
                                    this topic - this is where our group shines - all that
                                    wonderful knowledge and expertise and willingness to
                                    share. Bravo!!!!

                                    helene

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • david1law@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 17, 2007
                                      Dear Vladimir:

                                      Thank you very much for putting me in touch with Stephen Zehala, whose
                                      ancestors are also from the village of Hrisovce. He spoke very highly of your
                                      genealogical work for him. You became their adopted family hero. It definitely
                                      looks like we share common roots in the TOMASOV clan. You were also right
                                      that I would recognize many of the other names connected with their family.
                                      Thank you again, my friend.

                                      Best regards,

                                      David

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 17, 2007
                                        Hi Helene:

                                        Thank you for the postings of the surnames and villages in the SLOVAK PRIDE
                                        database. Your work helped me to connect to a third cousin of mine, ALENA
                                        BALOGA, in the village of HRISOVCE, where my grandfather ANDREW BALOGA and my
                                        great grandfather NICHOLAS BALOGA were born. ALENA is a descendant of my
                                        great grandfather's brother MATHIAS BALOGA, and we are both descendants of my
                                        great, great grandparents JAN BALOGA and SUSANNA TOMASOV. Thank you again for
                                        all your work

                                        Best regards,

                                        David Michael Baloga