Extent of Ottoman Empire in Upper Hungary (Slovakia)

  • fernbrough
    Message 1 of 24 , May 6, 2007
      Are there any maps that show the extent the Ottoman Empire extended in
      current day eastern Slovakia in the 1600's?

      I am specifically interested in seeing a map(s) at village level.

      My relatives came from Raslavice (Saros), Mala Vieska (Saros)and
      Komarany (Zemplin).

      Thanks in advance.

      Bob S.
    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 24 , May 6, 2007
        No Turks there. They took only the southern belt of present Slovakia.
        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 24 , May 6, 2007
          Bob,
          I didn't find a detailed map. From the Historical Atlas of Central Europe:
          "The Ottoman sphere in Central Europe was basically divided into two categories (1) core provinces ruled directly by the Ottoman central administration in the capital of Istanbul; and (2) vassal or tributary states that had varying degrees of self-rule and in some cases virtual independence....
          The second category, vassal or tributary states, included ... Transylvania ... .
          The height of Transylvanian power was reached during the first half of the seventeenth century... . ..., they followed an independents foreign policy which allowed them to negotiate in 1645 the acquisition from the Habsburgs of seven counties in eastern Slovakia and Carpathian Rus."
          Those seven counties were not directly under Ottoman rule.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 24 , May 6, 2007
            Interesting - i read somewhere that they came up the
            rivers into Moravia and Slovakia - would be curious to
            know which rivers and how far up - some were in
            eastern Slovakia I recall.

            helene

            --- konekta@... wrote:

            > No Turks there. They took only the southern belt of
            > present Slovakia.
            > Vladimir
            >
            > _____

            Bored stiff? Loosen up...
            http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 24 , May 6, 2007
              Bob,

              I did a quick Google search using their "images" function (above the
              search bar) and came up with
              http://historicaltextarchive.com/hungary/hutor1.gif

              among other results. In reading history, I have run across no
              specific maps down to the village level, nor for the similar Hungarian
              occupation of southern Slovakia in 1939 (other than one I failed to
              photograph in the Budapest Ethnographic Museum). So I believe you
              will have to sort out the history from specifics of your local area.
              There is no easy answer, in other words.

              Remember also that even with the limits of Turkish occupation, the
              northern and eastern parts of Slovakia were fortified to fight off
              Turkish incursions into Northern Hungary (Slovakia). Thus the Spis
              castle was reinforced & expanded at that time to provide better
              protection from Turkish raids.

              Invariably all Turks and Hungarians I have met outside of Slovakia are
              great people.

              One last hint. I have found that with most internet graphics I can
              copy the image with a right click & insert it into a photo program
              (Irfanview is great) and can enlarge it to make it easier to read and
              comprehend. I just redid the image above from 618 pixels wide to 1200
              wide, and while not perfectly clear, I can locate known Slovak towns.
              This map seems to confirm what Vlad said, the Turks were only in the
              southern reaches of Slovakia.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "fernbrough" <rmom@...> wrote:

              > Are there any maps that show the extent the Ottoman Empire extended in
              > current day eastern Slovakia in the 1600's?
              >
              > I am specifically interested in seeing a map(s) at village level.
              >
              > My relatives came from Raslavice (Saros), Mala Vieska (Saros)and
              > Komarany (Zemplin).
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Bob S.

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 24 , May 6, 2007
                An article in Spectacular Slovakia said in 1663 the Ottoman's controlled Nita, Nove Zamky and Levice, only for one year.

                --- konekta@... wrote:

                > No Turks there. They took only the southern belt of
                > present Slovakia.
                > Vladimir
                >
                > _____

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 24 , May 6, 2007
                  Have you seen Karel Plicka's photograph of women in
                  Levice - they look totally oriental - maybe it was the
                  earlier incursion of Tatars that casued this

                  However I seem to recall that that area was occupied
                  by the Turks much longer than a year - more like
                  decades.

                  But this is only an impression - nice to get more info
                  on something that is hard to research in English.
                  thanks to all

                  helene

                • Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 6, 2007
                    The Ottoman Empire extended over much of Hungary for 150 years or so, but
                    there were continuous wars that constantly shifted the borders. Read
                    Gardonyi's Eclipse of the Crescent Moon about the attack on the fortress at
                    Eger when the Turks tried to extend their dominion. Between 50,000 and
                    200,000 Turks (estimates vary) were defeated by 2000 defenders at Eger. It
                    is a very exciting tale based on history. But 30 years later the Turks
                    returned and Eger finally fell. At the height of the Ottoman Empire, Eger
                    was included, near its northernmost border.

                    Janet

                    _____

                    --- Michael Mojher <mgmojher@comcast. <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net> net>

                    http://farechase. <http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097>

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 6, 2007
                      Helene,
                      In the 1200's a people called the Cumani joined forces with the Hungarian Empire to make a stand against Genghis Khan. Genghis Khan died before reaching Hungary. The Hungarians allowed 40,000 Cumani to settle in through out the Empire. What is interesting about the Cumani is that the emigrated from along the Yellow River below Mongolia. They were not a purely Asian race. They belonged to a Turkic group. Nonetheless, they had a very distinctive look, some with very 'almond' eyes.
                      I suspect that your photograph of the women in Levice was of Cumani heritage. By the Ottoman invasion they had been living in Hungary for 400 years.
                      Michael
                      Have you seen Karel Plicka's photograph of women in
                      Levice - they look totally oriental - maybe it was the
                      earlier incursion of Tatars that casued this

                      However I seem to recall that that area was occupied
                      by the Turks much longer than a year - more like
                      decades.

                      But this is only an impression - nice to get more info
                      on something that is hard to research in English.
                      thanks to all

                      helene

                      --- Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                      > An article in Spectacular Slovakia said in 1663 the
                      > Ottoman's controlled Nita, Nove Zamky and Levice,
                      > only for one year.

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        Thanks Michael! Intrigued by the Cumani people. Dr.
                        Tony Sutherland of Jednota told me that they were also
                        called the Plavci people and the various places with
                        Plavec in the village name were settled by them for
                        example Plavec in Saris in eastern Slovakia and
                        Plavecky Podhradie in southwestern Slovakia.

                        Fascinating to think of such a major migration by such
                        an exotic peoples. Also intrigued with the fierce
                        Avars who were known for their beautiful motifs,
                        (possibly related to the famed Scythians) and for
                        their songs!

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • david1law@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          Hi Helene:

                          Here's a link to an interesting encyclopedia article regarding the CUMANS
                          (KUNOK in Hungarian)

                          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumans)

                          Interestingly, the village of HELCMANOVCE may well have a CUMAN origin, as
                          one of the old names of the village is NAGYKUNCZFALVA which appears to
                          literally translate as "Great Cuman Village."

                          In regard to the Turks, the Slovak surname TUREK literally means "TURK" and
                          I've seen this surname in the Spis and Saris regions.

                          Best regards,

                          David

                        • fernbrough
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Thanks for all of your input and advice.

                            I intend to do more reading and searching.

                            I asked the question because I knew after the occupied lands were
                            vacated, Slovaks moved and settled into these areas.

                            I thought Mala Vieska, just north of Kosice was one of these areas.

                            Thanks, again.
                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                              I tried to locate Mala Vieska on my Slovak Road Atlas. There was no such place listed.
                              I did an online search and found references to it. One even gave the coordinates 48 degrees 48 minutes by 21 degrees 15 minutes.
                              Google Earth placed those coordinates in present Druzstevna pri Hornade. It appears your village was incorporated into another.
                              There is a website for the town, www.druzstevna.sk, it is only in Slovak. Nonetheless, if you click on the Historia link you will find the story of Mala Vieska.
                              Michael Mojher

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                Helene,
                                It was your message about Dr. Sutherland's reference to the Plavci and Plavec that got me investigating them years ago. My ancestal village of Hromos is only 3 km from Plavec and Plavnica.
                                I wrote Dr. Nora Berend in England, she lectures on the Cumani. I told her of Dr. Sutherland's reference. She said that she has never in research found such a reference.
                                If you can ask Dr. Sutherland where he learned of the Plavci and Plav town connection I would very much be interested in it.
                                The Historical Atlas of Central Europe, Map 6: Central Europe, ca. 1250 refer to the Cumani in Hungary as the Kuns. The settled predominately in central Hungary between the Ipel' and Tisza rivers.
                                The Avars are interesting. Their Avar Khanate in the north was in the Slovaks territory. The H.A.C.E., Map 3:Central Europe, 7th and 8th centuries shows the Slovaks occupied the the territory south of the Carpathian Mountains, west almost to the Morava River, east and south to what is much of modern Slovakia. What the Avars did was bring new Slavs with them when the invaded from the east and then took them to the Balkans, along with established Slavs of the territory, ie. the Slovaks. When the Avars retreated back to their Khanate the Slavs stayed behind. Resulting in Carinthian and Pannonian Slavs being established. The Slavic Croats and Serbs were established when the Byzantine Emperor invited them to settle in the Empires hinderlands as a buffer to the Avars.
                                The Avars were a nomadic people of Mongolian or Turco-Tatar origin. After their defeat in the 810s it only took a decade for the reference to Avars was no longer used. A number of them are said to have gone to Nitra (Slovakia) to help form a new state. Their hypothetical descendants, the Szekely (who apparently preserved the Avar Dragon Totem well into the 15th century were relocated to Transylvania in the 12th century.

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                  Hello:

                                  In regard to the Cumans (also known as POLOVCY in Russian and POLOVTSI in
                                  Ukrainian), there are several counties in Hungarian -- BACS-KISKUN and
                                  JASZ-NAGYKUN-SZOLNOK that had significant populations of Cumans (KUN in Hungarian --
                                  KUNOK (plural) in Hungarian). I believe that the PALOC people in NOGRAD
                                  county -- centered around HOLLOKO -- may possibly be of Cuman origin as well, as
                                  I have seen a reference that the name is derived from the Slavic name for the
                                  Cumans. The village of HOLLOKO in northern Hungary is on the UNESCO World
                                  Heritage List.

                                  Best regards,

                                  David

                                • Paul Tomasko
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                    Hello everyone

                                    I have been following along with these postings finding it very interesting.
                                    In my family which comes from the village of Siba, County Saris, my
                                    fathers brother has a very distinctive Asian look to him. He really looks
                                    like the guy from the movie Karate Kid, (you know wax on, wax off) I do not
                                    have any proof or cement facts and just figured that when the Khan invaded
                                    they raped, and burned villages. Or there was always the chance my 5th or
                                    6th Great Grandmother really liked a big hulking Mongol and took him as a
                                    husband. My question is...Is this a trait that is seen often in families
                                    coming from North Eastern Slovakia?

                                    Thank you all

                                    Paul Tomasko

                                    searching surnames: Tomasko, Tomascin, Tomascsin, Tomastyik, Mackanin,
                                    Macskanyin, Homa

                                  • david1law@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                      Hi Paul:

                                      It would be hard to tell, based upon looks alone, whether any bloodline
                                      traces back to an Asian ancestor, although it certainly possible. The city of
                                      PRESOV in SARIS county was a cross-roads to the north and south, as well as to
                                      the east and west, and over time, there were at least several Asian groups
                                      that may have influenced the genetics of the population, including the Mongols,
                                      the Cumans, and the Sarmatians. Interestingly, the Slavic name for the
                                      Cumans -- POLOVTSI means "pale" or "yellow" so that may also be a possibility. In
                                      addition, a Sarmatian tribe known as the IAZYGES (JASZ in Hungarian),
                                      another ethnic group from the Sea of Azov area in Asia, probably had the most
                                      profound interaction with the Slavs, and were a neighboring people as the word for
                                      "tongue" / "language" / "accent" in Slovak is JAZYK and derived from the
                                      name of the Sarmatian IAZGYES/JAZYGES.

                                      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges)

                                      Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                                      between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                                      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_
                                      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians)

                                      I find the history of the territory of Slovakia and the various ethnic
                                      groups who influenced the region over the centuries to be quite fascinating. By
                                      the way, there was a great show on the History Channel's Digging for the Truth
                                      with Josh Bernstein regarding the Mongols and tracing some the DNA of some
                                      modern day Mongols back to Genghis Khan. I believe it was the episode "Lost
                                      World of Genghis Khan." You may be able to find some information about the
                                      show on the web if you do a GOOGLE search).

                                      Your surname -- TOMASKO -- also caught my attention. One of my great,
                                      great, great grandmothers is a SUSANNA TOMASOV. I have found the TOMASOV surname
                                      to be rather uncommon in Slovakia, and it has been mentioned to me from a
                                      very reliable source that there are other variations of the surname, one of
                                      which may be TOMASKO. (Helene, if you are reading this posting, please be so kind
                                      as to refresh my recollection as to other derivations of the TOMASOV
                                      surname. I believe you mentioned to me a long time ago that it may be something
                                      like TOMKO or TOMASKO). My TOMASOV clan is from the village of HRISOVCE in SPIS
                                      county, right on the border of SARIS. I do not know if there is any
                                      connection, but you never know.

                                      Best regards,

                                      David

                                    • Michael Mojher
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                        Paul,
                                        Slovakia is one of those 'cross-road' locations where migration paths over history have come through or near it. In an earlier reply I wrote of the Avars from Mongolia in 700's and 800's. In the 900's the Magyars came. Around 1050 the Pechenegs, who were allied with the Cumani were in the upper half of modern Slovakia. In the 1200's the Cumani/Kuns.
                                        Siba is in the traditional area of the Sub-Carpathian Rusyns. The potential to have any and all of these groups in our DNA is there.
                                        I submitted my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic project. My 12 marker analysis showed my DNA migration path left Africa, went through the Middle East, Central Asia, Northeast Europe and finally with major populations in France, Spain and the British Isles. The 12 marker analysis is good for my ancestors 10,000 years ago. By having more markers done I would get more specific and closer to me profile of my DNA. It would also narrow the pool of people that are related to me. With the 12 marker I have been sent a list of over 1000 people that have identical DNA profiles. Which means 10,000 years ago we shared a common ancestor. Talk about distant cousins!
                                        Michael

                                      • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                          Dear David,
                                          Hrisovce had 53 house numbers in 1869 Census.
                                          #25 was Alojz Tomasov
                                          I have a client, who also has ancestors from Hrisovce ( actually I am
                                          working on that right now).
                                          The whole village was heavily interrelated.
                                          Please, contact me off list.
                                          Regards,
                                          Vladimir

                                          _____

                                          _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_>
                                          .org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia
                                          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges> .org/wiki/Iazyges)

                                          Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
                                          between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

                                          _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_>
                                          .org/wiki/Sarmatians_

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 8, 2007
                                            Hi Vladimir:

                                            Thank you very much for the information regarding Hrisovce. I would
                                            definitely like to learn more about the potential contact. What is your e-mail
                                            address? Thank you again.

                                            Please

                                            Best regards,

                                            David

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 8, 2007
                                              Dear David,
                                              here I am
                                              Vladimir Bohinc
                                              Professional Genealogist
                                              KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
                                              Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
                                              e-mail: konekta@...
                                              web page: www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/>

                                              _____

                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 9, 2007
                                                Thanks to all for the really fascinating comments on
                                                this topic - this is where our group shines - all that
                                                wonderful knowledge and expertise and willingness to
                                                share. Bravo!!!!

                                                helene

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • david1law@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 17, 2007
                                                  Dear Vladimir:

                                                  Thank you very much for putting me in touch with Stephen Zehala, whose
                                                  ancestors are also from the village of Hrisovce. He spoke very highly of your
                                                  genealogical work for him. You became their adopted family hero. It definitely
                                                  looks like we share common roots in the TOMASOV clan. You were also right
                                                  that I would recognize many of the other names connected with their family.
                                                  Thank you again, my friend.

                                                  Best regards,

                                                  David

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 17, 2007
                                                    Hi Helene:

                                                    Thank you for the postings of the surnames and villages in the SLOVAK PRIDE
                                                    database. Your work helped me to connect to a third cousin of mine, ALENA
                                                    BALOGA, in the village of HRISOVCE, where my grandfather ANDREW BALOGA and my
                                                    great grandfather NICHOLAS BALOGA were born. ALENA is a descendant of my
                                                    great grandfather's brother MATHIAS BALOGA, and we are both descendants of my
                                                    great, great grandparents JAN BALOGA and SUSANNA TOMASOV. Thank you again for
                                                    all your work

                                                    Best regards,

                                                    David Michael Baloga