Re: [S-R] Re: looking for Velky Rakovicz

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
      Hi Phil:

      Just a little clarification regarding place name suffixes, the -OCZ suffix
      is Hungarian, and the -OVEC is Slovak.

      Best regards,

      David

    • Juraj Cisarik
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
        hello,

        here is a link of schematizmus of the village Rakovec nad Ondavou:
        http://www.cisarik.com/MINISCHEMATIZMUS-prq.htm
        chronology of reverends in the village:

        Danielovi´┐Ż Georgius 1800 - 1849 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Pajkossy Josephus 1849 - 1866 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Slavik Paulus 1866 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Zabava Michael 1866 - 1867 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Balogh Josephus 1867 - 1876 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Starecky Nicolaus 1876 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Novak Joannes 1876 - 1877 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Kallok Paulus 1877 - 1878 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Precechtely Eugenius 1878 - 1880 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Gulovic Nicolaus 1887 - 1888 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Dudic Joannes 1888 - 1932 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Pajkossy Julius 1897 - 1900 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Pahy Gregorius 1927 - 1929 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Sereghy Josephus 1929 - 1931 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Tink Antonius 1932 - 1948 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Tink Desiderius 1940 - 1941 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        Seman Joannes 1941 - 1948 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

        (M)means Mukacevo eparchy/not Presov!/

        I have a family tree of reverends: Seman, Tink, Sereghy, Dudic, Gulovic.

        I was there last summer and I took all pictures of graves older then 40
        years.
        There are two churches. Older one near to the cemetery is not used by mass
        services and
        downthere near to the road is new greekcath. church - built just recently.

        Juraj

        >From: Rich Custer <rcuster@...>
        >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: looking for Velky Rakovicz
        >Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:01:23 -0400 (EDT)
        >
        >Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.
        >
        >Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
        >absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
        >County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
        >of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
        >were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
        >yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
        >today, they called themselves Rusins /
        >Carpatho-Russians.
        >
        >If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
        >Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
        >by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
        >Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
        >discrepancy in the village name as stated in
        >_Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
        >errors as far as the village names are concerned.

        MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden..
        http://www.msn.sk/weather
      • pdbennett_52
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Rich Custer <rcuster@...> wrote:

          > Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.
          >
          > Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
          > absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
          > County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
          > of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
          > were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
          > yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
          > today, they called themselves Rusins /
          > Carpatho-Russians.
          >
          > If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
          > Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
          > by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
          > Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
          > discrepancy in the village name as stated in
          > _Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
          > errors as far as the village names are concerned.

          Rich, thanks for this confirmation! Your map reference sounds like
          it is indeed the one being referred to, although I can't be certain
          until I receive copies of the documentation now in the mail.

          Michael Juhasz (Yuhasz) was very active in the Greek Catholic Union
          in the early 1900s, and served in many exective positions, including
          president. May I ask the source of your information about his
          birthplace? I'm not doubting you -- rather I just want to document my
          sources for future reference. I really do appreciate your help in
          resolving this!

          Phil