Re: [S-R] Re: looking for Velky Rakovicz

  • Rich Custer
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
      Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.

      Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
      absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
      County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
      of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
      were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
      yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
      today, they called themselves Rusins /
      Carpatho-Russians.

      If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
      Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
      by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
      Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
      discrepancy in the village name as stated in
      _Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
      errors as far as the village names are concerned.

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
        Hi Phil:

        Just a little clarification regarding place name suffixes, the -OCZ suffix
        is Hungarian, and the -OVEC is Slovak.

        Best regards,

        David

      • Juraj Cisarik
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
          hello,

          here is a link of schematizmus of the village Rakovec nad Ondavou:
          http://www.cisarik.com/MINISCHEMATIZMUS-prq.htm
          chronology of reverends in the village:

          Danielovi´┐Ż Georgius 1800 - 1849 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Pajkossy Josephus 1849 - 1866 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Slavik Paulus 1866 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Zabava Michael 1866 - 1867 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Balogh Josephus 1867 - 1876 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Starecky Nicolaus 1876 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Novak Joannes 1876 - 1877 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Kallok Paulus 1877 - 1878 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Precechtely Eugenius 1878 - 1880 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Gulovic Nicolaus 1887 - 1888 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Dudic Joannes 1888 - 1932 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Pajkossy Julius 1897 - 1900 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Pahy Gregorius 1927 - 1929 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Sereghy Josephus 1929 - 1931 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Tink Antonius 1932 - 1948 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Tink Desiderius 1940 - 1941 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          Seman Joannes 1941 - 1948 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

          (M)means Mukacevo eparchy/not Presov!/

          I have a family tree of reverends: Seman, Tink, Sereghy, Dudic, Gulovic.

          I was there last summer and I took all pictures of graves older then 40
          years.
          There are two churches. Older one near to the cemetery is not used by mass
          services and
          downthere near to the road is new greekcath. church - built just recently.

          Juraj

          >From: Rich Custer <rcuster@...>
          >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: looking for Velky Rakovicz
          >Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:01:23 -0400 (EDT)
          >
          >Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.
          >
          >Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
          >absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
          >County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
          >of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
          >were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
          >yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
          >today, they called themselves Rusins /
          >Carpatho-Russians.
          >
          >If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
          >Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
          >by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
          >Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
          >discrepancy in the village name as stated in
          >_Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
          >errors as far as the village names are concerned.

          MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden..
          http://www.msn.sk/weather
        • pdbennett_52
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Rich Custer <rcuster@...> wrote:

            > Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.
            >
            > Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
            > absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
            > County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
            > of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
            > were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
            > yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
            > today, they called themselves Rusins /
            > Carpatho-Russians.
            >
            > If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
            > Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
            > by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
            > Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
            > discrepancy in the village name as stated in
            > _Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
            > errors as far as the village names are concerned.

            Rich, thanks for this confirmation! Your map reference sounds like
            it is indeed the one being referred to, although I can't be certain
            until I receive copies of the documentation now in the mail.

            Michael Juhasz (Yuhasz) was very active in the Greek Catholic Union
            in the early 1900s, and served in many exective positions, including
            president. May I ask the source of your information about his
            birthplace? I'm not doubting you -- rather I just want to document my
            sources for future reference. I really do appreciate your help in
            resolving this!

            Phil