[S-R] Re: looking for Velky Rakovicz

  • pdbennett_52
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007

      > I agree that Nagy Rakocz shows up in Ugocsa Megye. That raises the
      > question of where the original poster got the Zemplen Megye information.

      Yes, I had also found Nagy Ra'ko'cz in the far northeast corner of
      the 1910 map of Ugocsa Megye after Juraj's original post about the
      Ukraine location. I agree that this is a good potential candidate. The
      problem now is that none of the possible sites fully agree with the
      information I have, which come from various documents passed down in
      the family. I'm working third-hand here since I don't have these in my
      possession, but I have requested copies so that I can examine these
      directly. Again, the information I have been told (by my cousin,
      quoting directly) is:

      "I also looked at a partial copy of something Irene sent me. It shows
      the Yuhasz family coming from Rakocz, which I think is Rakovec in
      Hungarian."

      and a quote from another e-mail:

      "I looked at the book I have from Irene called Opportunity Realized:
      The Greek Catholic Union's First One Hundred Years 1892-1992... I have
      Michel Yuhasz's village as Velky Rakovec, Zemplin County,
      Subcarpathian Rus' [I understand this to mean the information came
      from the GCU book]. I found this town on a 1906 map I received, and
      don't know if it is the same today."

      and a later response, after I'd suggested Rakovec nad Ondavou as the
      possible village in modern-day Slovakia:

      "Anyway, I checked the book, Opportunity Realized, and that is where I
      saw Velky Rakovicz, not Rakovec nad Ondavou. I had written in notes
      that this is the correct name from the man in Pittsburgh I called for
      the 1906 map..."

      So the information I have so far from family records implies the
      village was really Velky Rakovicz (or Rakovec) in Zemplen megye of
      pre-WWI Hungary.

      This is all I know from the family directly. I have not been able to
      find other documentation confirming this information. The best I have
      been able to do is glean a sense of the region from which the Yuhasz's
      emigrated from data appearing on census forms over several decades, as
      political boundaries changed. The Yuhasz family left Hungary in 1884,
      and came to England. The English 1891 and 1901 censuses give the
      Yuhasz family members' birthplace as Hungary and Austria respectively.
      The family immigrated to the U.S. from England in 1905. The US 1910
      census gives their place of birth as Hungary-Ruthenia. In 1920, this
      appears as Rusinia, and in 1930 as Czechoslovakia. A son's WWII US
      registration card only gives Czechoslovakia as the place of birth (the
      form asks for the town, but unfortunately, that is all that was
      given). A biographical excerpt published in 1922 states that one of
      the Yuhasz brothers was born in Upper Hungary, Carpathian Mountains,
      Czechoslovakia, again, unfortunately, with no village mentioned. All
      of these general locations are consistent with the three most
      promising candidate villages mentioned on this thread:

      1. Rakovec nad Ondavou, Slovakia = Ra'ko'cz, Zemplen FHL # 722770
      2. Velke' Raskovce, Slovakia = Nagyra'ska, Zemplen: FHL # 722755
      3. Velykyi Rakovets, Ukraine = Nagy Ra'Ko'cz, Ugocsa: not filmed?

      I'm hoping the village is not in Ukraine, because I don't believe any
      of the Ugocsa 1869 census records and church records have been filmed
      by the LDS. In this case, trying to find the Yuhasz family in the
      ancestral village will come to a sudden dead end. However, family
      records indicate the village was in Zemplen county. I believe it more
      likely that the village name has been garbled than the county name has
      been passed down incorrectly. So I still favor Rakovec nad Ond.

      Phil
    • Rich Custer
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
        Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.

        Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
        absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
        County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
        of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
        were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
        yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
        today, they called themselves Rusins /
        Carpatho-Russians.

        If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
        Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
        by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
        Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
        discrepancy in the village name as stated in
        _Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
        errors as far as the village names are concerned.

      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
          Hi Phil:

          Just a little clarification regarding place name suffixes, the -OCZ suffix
          is Hungarian, and the -OVEC is Slovak.

          Best regards,

          David

        • Juraj Cisarik
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
            hello,

            here is a link of schematizmus of the village Rakovec nad Ondavou:
            http://www.cisarik.com/MINISCHEMATIZMUS-prq.htm
            chronology of reverends in the village:

            Danielovi´┐Ż Georgius 1800 - 1849 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Pajkossy Josephus 1849 - 1866 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Slavik Paulus 1866 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Zabava Michael 1866 - 1867 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Balogh Josephus 1867 - 1876 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Starecky Nicolaus 1876 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Novak Joannes 1876 - 1877 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Kallok Paulus 1877 - 1878 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Precechtely Eugenius 1878 - 1880 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Gulovic Nicolaus 1887 - 1888 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Dudic Joannes 1888 - 1932 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Pajkossy Julius 1897 - 1900 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Pahy Gregorius 1927 - 1929 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Sereghy Josephus 1929 - 1931 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Tink Antonius 1932 - 1948 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Tink Desiderius 1940 - 1941 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            Seman Joannes 1941 - 1948 (M) Rakovec nad Ondavou

            (M)means Mukacevo eparchy/not Presov!/

            I have a family tree of reverends: Seman, Tink, Sereghy, Dudic, Gulovic.

            I was there last summer and I took all pictures of graves older then 40
            years.
            There are two churches. Older one near to the cemetery is not used by mass
            services and
            downthere near to the road is new greekcath. church - built just recently.

            Juraj

            >From: Rich Custer <rcuster@...>
            >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: looking for Velky Rakovicz
            >Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:01:23 -0400 (EDT)
            >
            >Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.
            >
            >Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
            >absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
            >County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
            >of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
            >were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
            >yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
            >today, they called themselves Rusins /
            >Carpatho-Russians.
            >
            >If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
            >Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
            >by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
            >Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
            >discrepancy in the village name as stated in
            >_Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
            >errors as far as the village names are concerned.

            MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden..
            http://www.msn.sk/weather
          • pdbennett_52
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 26, 2007
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Rich Custer <rcuster@...> wrote:

              > Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.
              >
              > Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
              > absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
              > County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
              > of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
              > were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
              > yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
              > today, they called themselves Rusins /
              > Carpatho-Russians.
              >
              > If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
              > Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
              > by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
              > Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
              > discrepancy in the village name as stated in
              > _Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
              > errors as far as the village names are concerned.

              Rich, thanks for this confirmation! Your map reference sounds like
              it is indeed the one being referred to, although I can't be certain
              until I receive copies of the documentation now in the mail.

              Michael Juhasz (Yuhasz) was very active in the Greek Catholic Union
              in the early 1900s, and served in many exective positions, including
              president. May I ask the source of your information about his
              birthplace? I'm not doubting you -- rather I just want to document my
              sources for future reference. I really do appreciate your help in
              resolving this!

              Phil