Re: [S-R] looking for Velky Rakovicz

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
      Rakovec nad Ondavou has never been called Velky Rakovec/Rakovicz. This link to the town website history page may be in Slovak, but you can see the names it has been under http://www.rakovecnadondavou.ocu.sk/historia.html
      Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
        I looked at the 1910 Map, http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg , of Zemplen. There Raknovec nad Ondavou is identified in Hungarian as Rakocz, but not Velky. On the map is a yellow area. You can see the town Nagymihaly (present day Michalovce). Follow the latitude line under Nagymihaly to the left to a road. The first town up the road is Rakocz.
        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
          That is because the map has Hungarian names and Velky Rakovec is Slovak. It
          is all the same village.

          Janet

          _____