Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • gregory lantay
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
      If you're looking for a rise or a fight - FORGET IT!
      This is America!! We can speak and write freely. I
      read your comments and have concluded "it appears you
      enjoy getting into the mud with people" SHAME ON YOU!

      Thank you for the correction about ancestry.com. What
      I wrote was suppose to be a POSITIVE informative
      opinioned comment. It appears that it was turned into
      into a negative. SHAME ON YOU AGAIN.

      Try to Relax ... and smile. You write like you've got
      a grudge or chip on your shoulder. RELAX, you might
      be taking things too seriously!!!!

      Chow from Greg.. I wish you the best .. Jaw Johnson!

      http://click.egroups.com/1/4517/0/_/545880/_/959815274/

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
        Greg,

        Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of the LDS) wrecks through
        your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are just use to being in it
        that it's all you can see.

        I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative comments about the LDS their
        efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our ancestors ---- and that was
        all it was a simple correction to a mistake and chastening for your total
        disrespect for others.

        Peace to you!!!!

        This is an end to something that our ancestors would be vehemently against.

        Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be attached for defending a
        group of people (LDS) from misinformation.
      • gregory lantay
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
          A RESPONSE FOR EVERYONE TO READ:

          How is this guy or gal? I myself have high regard for
          the LDS church, its mission, and for 99.8% of its
          members. I'm retired and have no problems at all, I
          just like to say it the way it is - I'm sorry if what
          I've said may have been misintrepreted! I live in
          AMERICA (USA) and not in Europe or someplace else.
          I'm not bashing anyone in particular, and especially
          not the LDS church. JAWJOHNSON is the problem!!!

          I don't believe I've said anything wrong or bad, nor
          am I saying anything wrong or bad right now. I don't
          know what your problem is? You're apparently taking
          what I've written way out of context and have
          interpreted it in some kind of weird way?? You're
          reminding of a a weirdo I say on TTV briefly before I
          tuned him out (his name was Howard Stern). Who are
          you to judge anyone?

          So STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Forget you! -
          I HOPE THEY PULL YOU OFF THIS WEB-SITE or at least
          slap your hand. I repeat myself, I have no problems
          with anyone or anything except for the way some
          individuals like jawjohnson put themselves above the
          LDS church and everyone else by makeing judgments.
          SO STOP IT!!!!

          I'm now done with you! "please go crawl back under the
          rock you came out from under".
          Greg

          --- Jawjohnson16@... wrote:
          > Greg,
          >
          > Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of
          > the LDS) wrecks through
          > your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are
          > just use to being in it
          > that it's all you can see.
          >
          > I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative
          > comments about the LDS their
          > efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our
          > ancestors ---- and that was
          > all it was a simple correction to a mistake and
          > chastening for your total
          > disrespect for others.
          >
          > Peace to you!!!!
          >
          > This is an end to something that our ancestors would
          > be vehemently against.
          >
          > Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be
          > attached for defending a
          > group of people (LDS) from misinformation.

          > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for
          > trying @Backup
          > Get automatic protection and access to your
          > important computer files.
          > Install today:

          http://click.egroups.com/1/4874/0/_/545880/_/959909511/

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Fred Corbett
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
            You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
            verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
            spelled different from what you expected.

            Fred

            Eric Haas wrote:

            > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
            >
            > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
            > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
            > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
            > > security number to find out more information about her?
            >
            > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
            > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

            > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
            > experiments.
          • Kathleen Duvall
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
              > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
              > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
              > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
              > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
              > fingers do the walking. >

              How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
              information?

              I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
              her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
              all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
              They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.

              I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
              disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......

              As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
              many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
              on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
              Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
              only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
              the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
              Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
              brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937

              From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
              names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
              out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
              now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
              puzzle.

              And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
              my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
              Zsuzsa.

              I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!

              Kathleen in Florida
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                > > fingers do the walking. >
                >
                > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                > information?
                >
                > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                >
                > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                >
                > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                >
                > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                > puzzle.
                >
                > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                > Zsuzsa.
                >
                > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                >
                > Kathleen in Florida

                > Old school buds here:

              • Kathleen Duvall
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                  > You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
                  > pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
                  > think it is more fun to do it the hard way.>

                  And there's the Eureka factor. Have you ever found that crucial piece
                  of information and say Eureka! I have -- corny as I must have sounded,
                  alone as I was. :) It's a great feeling.

                  Kathleen in Florida
                  researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                • Brecosky
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Kathleen:

                    I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                    south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                    can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                    this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                    connection!

                    Anita B.

                    SNIP
                    > They settled in Pittsburgh
                    SNIP
                    > Kathleen in Florida
                  • jallen50
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                      Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                      in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.

                      Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                      1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                      > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                      > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                      > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                      > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                      > > fingers do the walking. >
                      >
                      > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                      > information?
                      >
                      > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                      > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                      > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                      > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                      >
                      > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                      > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                      >
                      > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                      > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                      > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                      > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                      > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                      > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                      > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                      > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                      >
                      > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                      > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                      > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                      > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                      > puzzle.
                      >
                      > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                      > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                      > Zsuzsa.
                      >
                      > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                      >
                      > Kathleen in Florida

                      > Old school buds here:

                      Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                      more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                      rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/0/_/545880/_/960337979/
                    • Kathleen Duvall
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                        > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                        > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                        > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                        > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                        > connection! Anita B.>

                        Thanks so much Anita!

                        I was born in Pittsburgh. My family moved to Arizona in 1956 --
                        everyone still thought it was the land of opportunity, I guess! I love
                        Pennsylvania and wish they had never moved.

                        After WWII, my parents lived with my grandparents in a section of
                        Pittsburgh that I think has since been torn down to make 3 Rivers
                        Stadium. My husband and I were up there in 1994 trying to find the
                        street they lived on and that I remembered so well, but even though it
                        was on the map, we couldn't locate it anywhere.

                        Just reminiscing.

                        Kathleen in Florida
                        researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                      • Kathleen Duvall
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                          > Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                          > in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.>

                          Me too! I want to know too. :)

                          Kathleen in Florida
                          researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                        • Kathleen Duvall
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                            > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                            > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                            > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                            > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                            > connection! Anita B.>

                            Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                            population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                            Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

                            Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
                            the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
                            card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
                            she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
                            were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                            work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

                            I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                            then (1911 and on)?

                            I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                            wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                            a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                            security number to find out more information about her?

                            Thanks so much!

                            Kathleen in Florida
                            researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                          • Eric Haas
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                              Kathleen Duvall wrote:

                              > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                              > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                              > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                              > security number to find out more information about her?

                              With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                              application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
                            • Frank Kurchina
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
                                wrote:
                                > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
                                live just
                                > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
                                anything I
                                > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
                                only been on
                                > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
                                Pittsburgh
                                > > connection! Anita B.>
                                >
                                > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
                                >
                                > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
                                in
                                > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
                                Security
                                > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
                                assumed
                                > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
                                women
                                > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
                                >
                                > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                > then (1911 and on)?
                                >
                                > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
                                did have
                                > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
                                social
                                > security number to find out more information about her?
                                >
                                > Thanks so much!
                                >
                                > Kathleen in Florida
                                > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                                Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
                                5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

                                http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
                                0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
                                23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

                                http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
                                &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
                                =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                Social Security began in 1937.
                                If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
                                applied for her death benefit payments.

                                You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
                                The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
                                entered from the SSDI information.
                                The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
                                origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

                                Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

                                =>
                                1.Certificate of Arrival
                                (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
                                about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
                                individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
                                port of entry upon arrival)

                                2.Declaration of Intention
                                (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
                                of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
                                foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
                                embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

                                3.Petition for Naturalization
                                (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
                                names of two witnesses)

                                4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
                                (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
                                items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
                                souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

                                Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
                                her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
                                if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
                                to wait until after 21st birthday.
                                Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

                                Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
                                Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
                                Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
                                Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
                                were already living.

                                No green cards back then.