Re: 90th Birthday Mom - Thank you, Edie!

  • J.
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2007
      MANY THANKS !!!
      I will share your greetings with my Mom...she will love it!

      Best regards,
      Janie

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Edie" <sando1@...> wrote:

      > Happy Birthday to your dear Mom!
      > edie

      Slovakian
      > villages: Hanajna & Ubrez.
      >
      > She is a one-of-a-kind, unique lady - very old school. Mom loves her Orthodox
      Church;
      > can still sing an Old Church Slavonic tune or two; still can cook up the best pirohi,
      > bobalky, stuffed cabbage, hrutka, hrin; has a sharp mind & quirky sense of humor;
      > stubborn & resourceful; continues to doll up & wear `just-the-right' make-up to go
      out;
      > still gets around on her own two feet - until two months ago was driving; worked at
      > Macy's until the age of 75 because she wanted to keep busy; kind, generous & loving;
      has
      > always put her family first.
      >
      > All these beautiful traits I attribute directly to her immigrant parents - my beloved
      > grandparents, John & Anna.
      >
      > She is my role model, my best friend, my inspiration, the wind beneath my wings.
      > I love you, Mom!!! Mnohaja Lita!!
      >
      > May we all carry into the future the precious traditions & values passed on to us from
      all of
      > our Mothers & Fathers! 'Mnohaja Lita' to all of our Parents!

    • Pat and Lane Watkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 2007
        Happy Birthday to your MOM. My mother isn't far behind--on April 21
        we will celebrate her 88th. Her parents are from Rovne (mother, my
        grandmother) and Nitra (father, my grandfather). Grandpa first lived
        in Homestead, PA (Pittsburgh area), then bought a farm and moved his
        growing family to Hartstown, PA (near Linesville). He was a dairy
        farmer there and that is the place I remember visiting as a child.

        As for me, I'm half Irish and half Slovak. Married a man with
        English, Scottish, French and maybe Welsh ties. What a heritage!

        Pat