Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] From the listowner

  • Tom Flynn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
      On Wed, 31 May 2000 mjesko@... wrote:

      > Hi gang!
      >
      > To those looking up names from the Czech Lands, please remember that not
      > all of them came thru Ellis Island. Many came thru Philadelphia and
      > Baltimore, which has a good sized Czech community.
      >
      > Another example, my best friend's grandfather came from Croatia thru
      > Gavelston, Texas and ended up in Pittsburgh!
      >
      > Good Luck!
      >
      > mark

      Yes, there are quite a few czechs in texas, mostly as I understand from
      families that emigrated from Moravia. Besides the town of West, Texas
      (which is not in western texas, but rather north of Waco) there are
      several towns around Flatonia that were settled by Czechs. I think they
      came from Galveston, and maybe even Corpus Christi.

      Unfortunately, not many Slovaks here (though a few, like my family, came
      from other areas of the US and ended up settling here)

      ---------
      Tom Flynn

      I represent only myself
    • Rosamken@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2000
        In a message dated 05/31/2000 4:00:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        mjesko@... writes:

        << To those looking up names from the Czech Lands, please remember that not
        all of them came thru Ellis Island. Many came thru Philadelphia and
        Baltimore, which has a good sized Czech community. >>

        Mark:

        I was always told that my Czech grannie came from Pennsylvannia, one cousin
        said she was born in Bohemia, Czech, I can't find her coming on any ship to
        New York (where she lived all her life that I remember)...I keep hearing
        about a large population coming from Philadelphia, I will try census records
        there, as I can't find her on the 1920 census in NYC. and to confuse matters,
        her death cert said she was born in NYC.....information only as accuarate as
        the informant supplies. I have requested her birth cert from NYC...but no
        answer yet.

        Thanks for the lead.
        God Bless
        Rosemary - Las Vegas
        Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI, CIANCI,
        GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY
      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Rosamken@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 05/31/2000 4:00:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > mjesko@w... writes:
          >

          > I was always told that my Czech grannie came from Pennsylvannia,
          one
          cousin
          > said she was born in Bohemia, Czech, I can't find her coming on any
          ship to
          > New York (where she lived all her life that I remember)...I keep
          hearing
          > about a large population coming from Philadelphia, I will try
          census
          records
          > there, as I can't find her on the 1920 census in NYC. and to
          confuse
          matters,
          > her death cert said she was born in NYC.....information only as
          accuarate as
          > the informant supplies. I have requested her birth cert from
          NYC...but no
          > answer yet.
          >
          > Thanks for the lead.
          > God Bless
          > Rosemary - Las Vegas
          > Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI,
          CIANCI,
          > GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY

          You didn't mention the surname of your babic^ka.
          From your list of surnames it must have been either
          Sladky or Cerny ?

          Cerny meaning "a dark hair man" is the 5th most popular
          surname in the Czech Republic.
          5 % of the Czech population bear this particular surname.

          There are probably 3000-4000+ surname Cerny bearers living just
          in the U.S.

          Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
          (10th century-1918) and after 1867, part of the Austro-Hungarian
          Monarchy.
          It was an Austrian Kröneland.

          There was no country called "Czechoslovakia" until the WW I
          peace treaty.

          In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created
          from the Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia)
          and a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

          The U.S. Census enumerations 1880/1900/1910 reflected this.
          The 1920 U.S. Census reflected the political changes that
          occurred in Europe after 1918.

          Early on , Czechs emigrated to the U.S. via the Gulf State
          ports and TX and then moved to the Midwest and elsewhere.
          This migration began around 1850 and accelerated into the 1890s.
          Czechs to PA likely entered the U.S. through the Philadelphia
          port of entry since it was the closest to their Final Destinations.

          If your cousin is correct there is no b.c. from NYC or PA ?
          When was your baba born ?
          If she emigrated to the U.S. she probably sailed from either the
          Bremen or Hamburg, Germany port of exit.
        • David Mothkovich
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
            It appears that Mladen/Mardalj Sardjan is harassing people again on this
            site.
            Could you arrange for him to be "blocked" etc., before it gets ugly again.
            Thanks
            Dave