Re: New Member

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 81 , May 31 10:05 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Carey Butcher" <careybu@t...> wrote:
      > Hello to all, I'm new to geneology, just starting. My
      grandparents
      were
      > born in Austro-Prussia. The name of town Zdiar? I'm so excited to
      find this list!
      > Their names William (Valentine) Voytas (Vojtassak), and Anna
      Smerek.
      > Grandpa's
      > last name is spelled differently on every piece of paper I can
      find!
      They came to
      > USA around 1905
      > Glad to have the list, and looking forward to the post
      > Carey

      Very tricky to research.
      There never was an Austro-Prussia.
      There was a Austro-Hungary, as in Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
      (1867-1918)

      There are 18 places named Zdar in the Czech Republic and 2 places
      called Zdiar located in Slovakia.
      And three Zdiary are located in Poland.

      Valentine (E) Valentin (G) Balint (H)
      William (E) Wilhelm (G) Vilmos (H) Viliam (Sv)

      Smerek can be a Slovak surname.

      Im most Slavic languages, Hungarian and German the letter j is
      pron. y.

      23 surname Voytas are listed in the Social Security Death Index.

      http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Voytas&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20
      =&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit42
      3=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records
      (1741-1949) for Zdiar, Slovakia, formerly known as Zsdjár,
      Szepes Megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      From the late 1700s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
      country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
      Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.
      Austrian-Poland,Russian-Poland, and Prussian-Poland.
      The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
      incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

      Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
      Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
      Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
      Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records
      (1843-1954) for Zdiary, Galizien, Austria; now Zdzary (Debica),
      Kraków, Poland.
      Text in Latin.
    • John
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 8, 2012
        >>> Anyone who wishes to explore THAT topic should do so on Slovak World, please! <<<

        Acquiring new memberships at Slovak World is seemingly impossible. Greg Kopchak is not responding.