LDS back-log

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
      Does anyone know why the films from the LDS are so back-logged? I
      currently have 5 films on back order, several of which are over 10
      weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain a film so
      something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
      History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They
      thought there might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or
      something. Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem
      obtaining films.

      This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need my
      films!
      Carl
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
        Don't know your specific question, but FHL in Salt Lake is amenable to
        taking phone calls of this nature.

        Your speculation could be correct, that more films need to be made. If
        they have a surge in demand, they might not have enough copies on hand.

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
          I, too, have been experiencing long waits. Two films just came in that were
          ordered in January. Those ordered at the beginning of February have not yet
          come in either.

          Janet

        • gklodzen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
              The same with me. Perhaps there is heightened interest in Eastern Slovakia
              of late. Still, when everything arrived I was able to discover much previously
              unknown about my 19th century ancestor, Josef Kladzan of Vinne, Slovakia. It
              was well worth the wait, and my thanks to the members of the Latter Day
              Saints for making it available. Patience, and you will be rewarded.

              Gene Klodzen
              Springfield, VA

              In a message dated 4/17/2007 3:54:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              kozlay@... writes:

              I, too, have been experiencing long waits. Two films just came in that were
              ordered in January. Those ordered at the beginning of February have not yet
              come in either.

            • June McKee
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 18, 2007
                Carl,

                I also have a film that has been on back order for three months and they never did give me an explanation on what the problem was, but five that is really strange I would think. First time I have ever had anything on back order and I have ordered several times in the past six years.

                June

              • sparky27@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 18, 2007
                  I just ordered some films yesterday. Another patron asked if the back-log had cleared up yet, relating that a film ordered in January had just come in. The volunteer center worker said that he didn't know of any delays and expected that films would arrive in three weeks.
                  Stephanie B.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 18, 2007
                    I ordered a film in December and it came March 26. There is a
                    backup , especially with the vault films, due to high volume and lack
                    of volunteers, according to the letter sent to my local FHC. FHL
                    asked that FHCs don't call about this since they know the problem.

                    Rosie in WA State

                    On Apr 18, 2007, at 4:36 PM, sparky27@... wrote:

                    > I just ordered some films yesterday. Another patron asked if the
                    > back-log had cleared up yet, relating that a film ordered in January
                    > had just come in. The volunteer center worker said that he didn't know
                    > of any delays and expected that films would arrive in three weeks.
                    > Stephanie B.

                    > From: "Carl Kotlarchik" <kkotlarc@...>
                    > Does anyone know why the films from the LDS are so back-logged? I
                    > currently have 5 films on back order, several of which are over 10
                    > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain a film so
                    > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
                    > History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They
                    > thought there might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or
                    > something. Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem
                    > obtaining films.
                    >
                    > This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need my
                    > films!
                    > Carl

                  • Michele Baker
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 19, 2007
                      Hello Rosie,

                      Are you related to the Bodien family from Minot, ND area? I heard they
                      moved to WA State.

                      Michele

                      _____

                      On Apr 18, 2007, at 4:36 PM, sparky27@comcast.
                      <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.net> net wrote:

                      > I just ordered some films yesterday. Another patron asked if the
                      > back-log had cleared up yet, relating that a film ordered in January
                      > had just come in. The volunteer center worker said that he didn't know
                      > of any delays and expected that films would arrive in three weeks.
                      > Stephanie B.

                      > From: "Carl Kotlarchik" <kkotlarc@rochester.
                      <mailto:kkotlarc%40rochester.rr.com> rr.com>
                      > Does anyone know why the films from the LDS are so back-logged? I
                      > currently have 5 films on back order, several of which are over 10
                      > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain a film so
                      > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
                      > History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They
                      > thought there might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or
                      > something. Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem
                      > obtaining films.
                      >
                      > This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need my
                      > films!
                      > Carl

                    • Rosemary Bodien
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 19, 2007
                        Michele,

                        No, we aren't, but I have been in touch with some other Seattle area
                        Bodiens when we got email addresses mixed up!

                        Rosie

                        On Apr 19, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Michele Baker wrote:

                        > Hello Rosie,
                        >
                        > Are you related to the Bodien family from Minot, ND area? I heard they
                        > moved to WA State.
                        >
                        > Michele
                        >
                        > _____

                      • willyakers
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 19, 2007
                          I think the "volunteers" at the LDS libraries do a great job. AS more
                          and more people start searching for their ancestors, there will be a
                          greater strain on this free service. Hopefully everybody can remain
                          patient and polite..If one is in a hurry, try paid services such as
                          Ancestry.com. There is no back-up there. The search methods are very
                          reliable.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michele Baker" <mbaker4@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Rosie,
                          >
                          > Are you related to the Bodien family from Minot, ND area? I heard they
                          > moved to WA State.
                          >
                          > Michele
                          >
                          > _____

                        • sparky271953
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                            I just got a call from my local FHC that one of the films I ordered in
                            mid April is in! Hope this bodes well for those of you waiting for
                            films.
                            Stephanie B.
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik" <kkotlarc@...>