Re: [S-R] Re: Hello All

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 17 7:29 AM
      Hello everyone. I am new to this list. The previous email was not from me, but may as well have been as I am also very interested in finding out more about [eastern] Slovakia so I thank you for such a wonderful resource.

      Wanting to know more about my Slovak [half], I am looking for information about my grandparents who came to the States at the turn of the century. Karoly Gergely [Latinization Carolus Gergely; Americanization Charles Gergel] came first in 1899; his wife [maiden name Dolak or Dolack] followed a couple of years later in 1902 arriving with a daughter, Magrit. My grandparents were Catholic and from Siroke. I am grateful to a researcher in Slovakia for making me aware of the name change[s] and who has been very helpful in this whole process. My grandparents also had an arranged marriage in Siroke. My g-fathers parents names were Johannes Gergely and Maria Zabreczki.

      I am also enjoying reading the posts about the different villages in Slovakia; it gives me a better sense of things when my g-parents left Siroke/ came to the U.S.

      Best,
      Jenna Musket

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 17 8:57 AM
        >>> I am also very interested in finding out more about [eastern]
        Slovakia so I thank you for such a wonderful resource.<<<

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        CURRENT MAP

        >>> I am looking for information about my grandparents who came to
        the States at the turn of the century. . . . had an arranged
        marriage in Siroke. <<<

        CENTER (FHC)
        www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
        (zomreli).

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and
        deaths for Široké, Slovakia; formerly Siroka, Sáros, Hungary.

        Krsty 1819-1846 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794080 Item 4 ]
        Krsty 1846-1851 Birmovaní 1880, 1920, 1851, 1836, 1859 Úmrtia 1834-
        1851 Birmovaní 1910, 1926, 1931 Krsty 1852-1872 Úmrtia 1852-1877
        Uzavreté manželstvá 1852-1875 Krsty 1873-1874 - FHL INTL Film [
        1794081 ]

        Krsty 1874-1896 Uzavreté manželstvá 1878-1896 Úmrtia 1878-1896 .
        Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1864-1867 Krsty,
        uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1876-1888 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794082 ]

        Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1889-1891 Krsty, uzavreté
        manželstvá, úmrtia 1893-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794083 Item 1 ]

        LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census.
        Siroka (Široké) Film #2189250 Item 5
        (cont.) Siroka (Široké) Film #2189251 Item 1

        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        Apologies for any accented letters that don't print properly.
      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17 11:59 AM
          Hello Jenna:

          I saw your posting regarding SIROKE parish in Slovakia, and I believe that .
          My great, great grandfather JOANNES BALOGA (also spelled BALOG and BALOGH
          among other spelling variants) was born in the adjacent village of VITAZ
          (formerly known as NAGY VITEZ) or more precisely in VITAZ DOLINA (the "valley"
          between VITAZ and KLUKNAVA). The village of VITAZ is adjacent to the village of
          SIROKE and was part of the SIROKE catholic parish. I've been working on a
          cluster genealogy of my BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the villages of SIROKE, VITAZ,
          DOLINA, and OVCIE, and surnames DOLYAK and ZABRECZKI both appear, so there
          appears to be a connection between at least our extended family clans. Please
          feel free to write me directly at _David1law@..._
          (mailto:David1law@...) (the "1" is a "one"), and I would be happy to share any information that
          I have.

          Best regards,

          David

          Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
          DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
          SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
          DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
          (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
          HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
          TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
          WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

        • jenna-m
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17 7:40 PM
            Thanks so much for your response, David.

            The Dolyak may be a variant spelling [on my g-mother's side], and Zabreczki may be the maiden name of my g-g-mother on my grandfather's side.

            Have you visited the area?

            feel free to write me directly at _David1law@aol. com_
            (mailto:David1law@aol. com) (the "1" is a "one"), and I would be happy to share any information that

            ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.