RE: [S-R] Need help with surnames

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17 5:32 AM
      Try using Morse [Ellis Island DB] HYPERLINK
      "http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1&FNM=&kind=c
      lose&LNM"http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1&FNM
      =&kind=close&LNM=

      In the Last Name enter: Uhrinc [Starts with.]

      That will give you a short list of Urhincak[s] and a couple of close
      spelling variations. Hopefully, you can match up one of those passengers
      with your family in PA.

      In the RadixIndex your surname isn�t listed. That may or may not mean
      anything other than it�s a rare surname. There are a couple of close ones �
      Uhrincsat (4), Uhrincsok (1) HYPERLINK
      "http://www.radixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex_uh.shtml"http://www.rad
      ixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex_uh.shtml

      There is also a possibility that the Yanko and Uhrincak families originated
      from the same village. If you really get desperate perhaps the godparents of
      Elizabeth Uhrincak came from the same village as her parents. That line of
      attack is used when all other possibilities have been exhausted.

      Jim

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17 6:29 AM
        >>> my grandfather Mike Yanko. (aka Yenca, Yencha) Her maiden name was
        Uhrincak. <<<

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
        is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally,
        so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also
        necessary to know the religion.

        ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
        I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
        entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

        You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
        several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
        that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
        manifest, which often has two pages.