RE: [S-R] Need help with surnames

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
      Dear Joann,
      There is something I would like to discuss with you about Mike Yanko in
      private.
      Can you drop me an e-mail at konekta@...
      This man stole a lot of my sleep :-)
      Regards,
      Vladimir Bohinc
      www.konekta.sk

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
        Try using Morse [Ellis Island DB] HYPERLINK
        "http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1&FNM=&kind=c
        lose&LNM"http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1&FNM
        =&kind=close&LNM=

        In the Last Name enter: Uhrinc [Starts with.]

        That will give you a short list of Urhincak[s] and a couple of close
        spelling variations. Hopefully, you can match up one of those passengers
        with your family in PA.

        In the RadixIndex your surname isn�t listed. That may or may not mean
        anything other than it�s a rare surname. There are a couple of close ones �
        Uhrincsat (4), Uhrincsok (1) HYPERLINK
        "http://www.radixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex_uh.shtml"http://www.rad
        ixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex_uh.shtml

        There is also a possibility that the Yanko and Uhrincak families originated
        from the same village. If you really get desperate perhaps the godparents of
        Elizabeth Uhrincak came from the same village as her parents. That line of
        attack is used when all other possibilities have been exhausted.

        Jim

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
          >>> my grandfather Mike Yanko. (aka Yenca, Yencha) Her maiden name was
          Uhrincak. <<<

          When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
          is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally,
          so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also
          necessary to know the religion.

          ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
          I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
          entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

          You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
          several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
          that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
          manifest, which often has two pages.