Re: [S-R] Hello All -Siba

  • PHILBAER
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 16, 2007
      Dear Paul,

      Siba is very near Bardejov. I visited there 5 years ago when I was tracing my Majerszky ancestors. I was in Hertnek and the priest told me there was a woman in Siba who was a Majerszky/Majirsky. I had a nice visit. Through a translator, I found that she was indeed a distant relative. She was in her 90's, but remembered a few details that only a family member could have known; names, dates, emigrations, etc.

      Siba is a very small village at the base of the mountains. It was very clean. I remember there was a medium sized creek running down from the mountains through the center of town. The water was running fast, even in August when we were there. I have only a picture of the woman visited standing in front of her house; I didn't get a picture of the town itself. Siba is too small for a church, so I believe the Catholics went to Hertnek. I have pictures of the RC church; it is about 500 years old.

      Good luck with your research.

      Philip (Medvecz) Baer

      In a message dated 04/17/07 03:27:34 W. Europe Standard Time, PaulE4Sure@... writes:
      Hello All

      My name is Paul Tomasko, and I am new to your list. I have been working on
      my genealogy since 1998. But only recently started digging into my Slovak
      roots. My great grandfather comes from the village of Siba, in County
      Saris. I am currently attempting to find anything I possilbly can about
      village life in Eastern Slovakia. The names that I am researching are;
      Tomasko and Mackanin. When searching LDS records the names are spelled
      Tomascsin, Macskanyin. I am guessing this is the Magyar version of my
      family names. Also I have my great grandfathers K.u.k. Militar Pass book,
      where his surname is spelled Tomastyik.

      If anyone is doing research of Roman Catholic Church Records from the
      Richvald/Rychwald area, I have about 24 different entries from 1869 - 189?.
      It may just be a fluke, but maybe somebody you are searching maybe on these
      same registers, so let me know and I will take a look, and I still have the
      LDS film rented until the end of May, so when I go back to the Family
      History Center I will keep an eye out for your family also. I look foward
      to learning from you and hopefully I will be able to help someone else.

      Thank you

      Paul Tomasko

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
        >>> My great grandfather comes from the village of Siba, in County
        Saris. <<<

        Make sure that you check out the 1869 Hungarian Census film at LDS. It
        is VERY informative.

        Siba (Šiba) Film #2189243 Item 4

        Happy squinting.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
          >>> I am currently attempting to find anything I possilbly can about
          village life in Eastern Slovakia.<<<

          Here's a note from Bill Tarkulich on another web site.

          There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
          experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950, born
          in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth describing
          day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
          It has been recently scanned and is available at

          http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf

          Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
          Acrobat reader.

          >>From the Library of Congress on-line catalog:
          >
          > Title: The Grisak family
          > Authors: Grisak, Michael J. , 1910- (Main Author) *
          >LC Control Number: 79103327
          > Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
          > Personal Name: Grisak, Michael J.
          > Main Title: The Grisak family / compiled by Michael J. Grisak.
          >Published/Created: [Merrillville, Ind.] : Grisak, [1978-1979]
          > Notes: Cover title.
          > Subjects: Grisak, Michael J.
          > Grisak family.
          > Czechoslovakia--Biography.
          > United States--Biography.
          >LC Classification: CT948.G74 A34
          > Dewey Class No.: 943.7/03/0922 B
          > Geog. Area Code: e-cs--- n-us---
        • Paul Tomasko
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
            Philip

            Thank you for the information, that is great to know, I am slowly getting
            pieces of information that hopefully will enable me to create an acurate
            picture of the village in the 19th century. If you don't mind could you
            scan me copy of the picture of the church and even the lady so I can get an
            idea of what the houses look like, if it isn't too much trouble, if you
            can't that is o.k. also. Thank you for your information.

            Paul

          • Paul Tomasko
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
              John

              Yes, that is my next rental, I will hopefully get to the FHC this weekend,
              and get that ordered while I finish up the church records that I currently
              have their. Thank you for the information.

              Paul

              >From: "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
              >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian Census for Siba
              >Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:23:53 -0000

              >Saris. <<<
              >
              >Make sure that you check out the 1869 Hungarian Census film at LDS. It
              >is VERY informative.
              >
              >Siba (�iba) Film #2189243 Item 4
              >
              >Happy squinting.

            • Paul Tomasko
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
                Thank you, I pulled that up and it looks like I will have some reading to do
                tonight.

                >From: "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
                >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [S-R] Re: Hello All
                >Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:27:43 -0000

                >village life in Eastern Slovakia.<<<
                >
                >Here's a note from Bill Tarkulich on another web site.
                >
                >There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
                >experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950, born
                >in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth describing
                >day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
                >It has been recently scanned and is available at
                >
                >http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf
                >
                >Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
                >Acrobat reader.
                >
                > >>From the Library of Congress on-line catalog:
                > >
                > > Title: The Grisak family
                > > Authors: Grisak, Michael J. , 1910- (Main Author) *
                > >LC Control Number: 79103327
                > > Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
                > > Personal Name: Grisak, Michael J.
                > > Main Title: The Grisak family / compiled by Michael J. Grisak.
                > >Published/Created: [Merrillville, Ind.] : Grisak, [1978-1979]
                > > Notes: Cover title.
                > > Subjects: Grisak, Michael J.
                > > Grisak family.
                > > Czechoslovakia--Biography.
                > > United States--Biography.
                > >LC Classification: CT948.G74 A34
                > > Dewey Class No.: 943.7/03/0922 B
                > > Geog. Area Code: e-cs--- n-us---

              • jenna-m
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
                  Hello everyone. I am new to this list. The previous email was not from me, but may as well have been as I am also very interested in finding out more about [eastern] Slovakia so I thank you for such a wonderful resource.

                  Wanting to know more about my Slovak [half], I am looking for information about my grandparents who came to the States at the turn of the century. Karoly Gergely [Latinization Carolus Gergely; Americanization Charles Gergel] came first in 1899; his wife [maiden name Dolak or Dolack] followed a couple of years later in 1902 arriving with a daughter, Magrit. My grandparents were Catholic and from Siroke. I am grateful to a researcher in Slovakia for making me aware of the name change[s] and who has been very helpful in this whole process. My grandparents also had an arranged marriage in Siroke. My g-fathers parents names were Johannes Gergely and Maria Zabreczki.

                  I am also enjoying reading the posts about the different villages in Slovakia; it gives me a better sense of things when my g-parents left Siroke/ came to the U.S.

                  Best,
                  Jenna Musket

                  Thank you, I pulled that up and it looks like I will have some reading to do
                  tonight.

                  >From: "johnqadam" <johnqadam@rogers. com>
                  >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
                  >Subject: [S-R] Re: Hello All
                  >Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:27:43 -0000

                  >village life in Eastern Slovakia.<<<
                  >
                  >Here's a note from Bill Tarkulich on another web site.
                  >
                  >There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
                  >experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950, born
                  >in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth describing
                  >day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
                  >It has been recently scanned and is available at
                  >
                  >http://www.saed kent.edu/ ~lucak/topica/ Grisak.pdf
                  >
                  >Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
                  >Acrobat reader.
                  >
                  > >>From the Library of Congress on-line catalog:
                  > >
                  > > Title: The Grisak family
                  > > Authors: Grisak, Michael J. , 1910- (Main Author) *
                  > >LC Control Number: 79103327
                  > > Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
                  > > Personal Name: Grisak, Michael J.
                  > > Main Title: The Grisak family / compiled by Michael J. Grisak.
                  > >Published/Created: [Merrillville, Ind.] : Grisak, [1978-1979]
                  > > Notes: Cover title.
                  > > Subjects: Grisak, Michael J.
                  > > Grisak family.
                  > > Czechoslovakia- -Biography.
                  > > United States--Biography.
                  > >LC Classification: CT948.G74 A34
                  > > Dewey Class No.: 943.7/03/0922 B
                  > > Geog. Area Code: e-cs--- n-us---

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
                    >>> it looks like I will have some reading to do tonight.<<<

                    Here's more reading for the future. Available on the used book matket.

                    A recent publication

                    A History of Slovakia: the struggle for survival
                    By Stanislav Jozef Kirschbaum
                    ISBN-10: 0312161255
                    ISBN-13: 978-0312161255

                    Here's a good one from a century ago.
                    Our Slavic Fellow Citizens
                    by Emily Greene Balch. 536 pgs.
                    Published 1910
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
                      >>> I am also very interested in finding out more about [eastern]
                      Slovakia so I thank you for such a wonderful resource.<<<

                      BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                      For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
                      site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                      CURRENT MAP

                      >>> I am looking for information about my grandparents who came to
                      the States at the turn of the century. . . . had an arranged
                      marriage in Siroke. <<<

                      CENTER (FHC)
                      www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
                      (zomreli).

                      LDS has Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and
                      deaths for Široké, Slovakia; formerly Siroka, Sáros, Hungary.

                      Krsty 1819-1846 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794080 Item 4 ]
                      Krsty 1846-1851 Birmovaní 1880, 1920, 1851, 1836, 1859 Úmrtia 1834-
                      1851 Birmovaní 1910, 1926, 1931 Krsty 1852-1872 Úmrtia 1852-1877
                      Uzavreté manželstvá 1852-1875 Krsty 1873-1874 - FHL INTL Film [
                      1794081 ]

                      Krsty 1874-1896 Uzavreté manželstvá 1878-1896 Úmrtia 1878-1896 .
                      Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1864-1867 Krsty,
                      uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1876-1888 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794082 ]

                      Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1889-1891 Krsty, uzavreté
                      manželstvá, úmrtia 1893-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794083 Item 1 ]

                      LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census.
                      Siroka (Široké) Film #2189250 Item 5
                      (cont.) Siroka (Široké) Film #2189251 Item 1

                      go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
                      will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

                      Apologies for any accented letters that don't print properly.
                    • david1law@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
                        Hello Jenna:

                        I saw your posting regarding SIROKE parish in Slovakia, and I believe that .
                        My great, great grandfather JOANNES BALOGA (also spelled BALOG and BALOGH
                        among other spelling variants) was born in the adjacent village of VITAZ
                        (formerly known as NAGY VITEZ) or more precisely in VITAZ DOLINA (the "valley"
                        between VITAZ and KLUKNAVA). The village of VITAZ is adjacent to the village of
                        SIROKE and was part of the SIROKE catholic parish. I've been working on a
                        cluster genealogy of my BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the villages of SIROKE, VITAZ,
                        DOLINA, and OVCIE, and surnames DOLYAK and ZABRECZKI both appear, so there
                        appears to be a connection between at least our extended family clans. Please
                        feel free to write me directly at _David1law@..._
                        (mailto:David1law@...) (the "1" is a "one"), and I would be happy to share any information that
                        I have.

                        Best regards,

                        David

                        Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                        DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                        SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                        DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
                        (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
                        HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
                        TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
                        WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

                      • jenna-m
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
                          Thanks so much for your response, David.

                          The Dolyak may be a variant spelling [on my g-mother's side], and Zabreczki may be the maiden name of my g-g-mother on my grandfather's side.

                          Have you visited the area?

                          feel free to write me directly at _David1law@aol. com_
                          (mailto:David1law@aol. com) (the "1" is a "one"), and I would be happy to share any information that

                          ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.