Need help with surnames

  • Joann Napier
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2007
      HI!,
      I have been researching my (1/2) SLOVAK roots for several years and have come to a dead end. My Grandmother who was born in PA from parents who spoke slovak from slovakia/austria 1890-1895. Her (arranged) marriage was to my grandfather Mike Yanko. (aka Yenca, Yencha) Her maiden name was Uhrincak. I have reached nothing but DEAD ENDS in my research for 4 years! If ANYONE could help me I would be SO grateful! My Grandma Elizabeth Yanko (nee Uhrincak) died just before my 18th birthday and I am now 44 and just starving to know more about my roots.
      Thank You, Joann

    • Juraj Cisarik
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
        Dear Joann,

        Let me introduce,
        I live in Kosice in Slovakia.

        I do my service as searching in the state archives in Eastern Slovakia.
        So, I can search your eventual Slovak roots.
        I do my another service for english speaking people as a tourist guide in
        Slovakia.
        I will use my car for you too.

        . . . see my web site:
        http://www.cisarik.com
        There are more details about me.

        best regards,
        Juraj Cisarik
        please reply to my e-mail:
        jurajcisarik@...

        MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden. http://www.msn.sk/weather
      • konekta@nm.psg.sk
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
          Dear Joann,
          There is something I would like to discuss with you about Mike Yanko in
          private.
          Can you drop me an e-mail at konekta@...
          This man stole a lot of my sleep :-)
          Regards,
          Vladimir Bohinc
          www.konekta.sk

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
            Try using Morse [Ellis Island DB] HYPERLINK
            "http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1&FNM=&kind=c
            lose&LNM"http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1&FNM
            =&kind=close&LNM=

            In the Last Name enter: Uhrinc [Starts with.]

            That will give you a short list of Urhincak[s] and a couple of close
            spelling variations. Hopefully, you can match up one of those passengers
            with your family in PA.

            In the RadixIndex your surname isn�t listed. That may or may not mean
            anything other than it�s a rare surname. There are a couple of close ones �
            Uhrincsat (4), Uhrincsok (1) HYPERLINK
            "http://www.radixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex_uh.shtml"http://www.rad
            ixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex_uh.shtml

            There is also a possibility that the Yanko and Uhrincak families originated
            from the same village. If you really get desperate perhaps the godparents of
            Elizabeth Uhrincak came from the same village as her parents. That line of
            attack is used when all other possibilities have been exhausted.

            Jim

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
              >>> my grandfather Mike Yanko. (aka Yenca, Yencha) Her maiden name was
              Uhrincak. <<<

              When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
              is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally,
              so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also
              necessary to know the religion.

              ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
              I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
              entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

              You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
              several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
              that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
              manifest, which often has two pages.