Re: [S-R] Re: Dual Surnames - What do they imply/mean?

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2007
      Hello John:

      It is good to see another SARISAN in our group! My main line BALOGA
      (BALOG/BALOGH) also comes from the SARIS region - the villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, and
      DOLINA to be exact. In regard to the use of the dual (or hyphenated) surname
      in your family, your intuition is correct. The use of an alias name is
      quite common in large family clans and used to distinguish between individuals
      with the same first and last name (this can happen quite often if the family
      lived in the same village for several generations), and often results in the
      use of a dual (or hyphenated) surname to distinguish between various branches
      of a family within a larger family clan, or in some instances to simply
      distinguish between families who bear the same surname in the same village. In my
      own family -- BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH among other spelling variants), one branch
      of the BALOGA (BALOG) family was known as BALOGA-KOTSIK (KOCIK) and it
      traced back to the early 1800's to a marriage between a STEPHANUS BALOGA and a
      SUSANNA KOTSIK (KOCIK). I often saw the use of other dual surname in SIROKE
      parish in the SARIS Highlands west of Presov, and these similarly traced back to
      a mother's maiden name or the maiden name of a paternal grandmother. I hope
      this helps.

      Best regards,

      David

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2007
        Hello:

        In regard to your inquiry regarding DOLINA, it is the village between VITAZ
        and KLUKNAVA near BRANISKO MOUNTAIN on the border of SARIS and SPIS counties.
        The villages of VITAZ (NAGY VITEZ) and OVCIE (KIS VITEZ), where my great,
        great grandfather JOANNES BALOGA (also spelled BALOG and BALOGH among other
        variants in spelling) and his father (my great, great, great grandfather
        MATHIAS BALOGA were respectively born, are very close to SEDLICE and SUCHA DOLINA
        just over the hill from KLENOV and the village of HRABKOV. You are correct
        that DOLINA means "valley" in Slovak.

        In regard to the surnames that you mentioned, there may be some connections
        that our families share. I've been working on a cluster genealogy of the
        BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH) clan in the SARIS HIGHLANDS (villages of SIROKE, VITAZ,
        OVCIE, HRABKOV) and the PALKO/PALKUV surname appears several times as a
        marriage witness, possibly indicating a family connection. On November 13, 1861,
        an ANDREAS PALKUV was a witness to the marriage between an ANNA BALOGA and
        ANDREAS JENTSA (JENCA). An ANDREA PALKO also served as a witness to the marriage
        between a MARIA BALUCHA and a MATHIAS KOCSIK on January 1, 1864.

        The DOROV surname that you mentioned is also intriguing. The DZUROV surname
        (as well as DZURIK and DZURIKOVA) does appear in the records of my extended
        BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH) family. In fact, the godfather of my grandfather
        ANDREAS BALOG (BALOGA), who was born in HRISOVCE (HRISSOC), the son of NICHOLAUS
        BALOG (BALOGA) and JOANNA JURASKO, was a MATHIAS DZUROV. His godmother was a
        MARIA BIROS. MATHIAS DZUROV was also the godfather of four of my
        grandfather's siblings. I'm not sure of the exact connection with MATHIAS DZUROV but
        there evidently appears to be a strong connection with my grandfather's
        family.

        As far as I can recall, I haven't seen the MATISKO surname but it appears to
        be Ruthenian/Rusyn in origin because of the diminutive -KO suffix and appears
        to mean essentially "son of MATIS (MATHIAS) or "Little MATIS (MATHIAS)."

        I have also been researching the history of the various villages in the
        area, and I've come across several items in the ARCANUM (Hungarian "Archives")
        database regarding the village of SEDLICE as well as the adjacent village of
        MIKLOSOVCE. In 1391, King Sigismund made a donation of land to GALLUS SZECHY
        (ZEECH in Latin, sometimes also spelled ZECH) to the villages of SEDLICE,
        MIKLOSOVCE and SOPOTNICHA (now part of SEDLICE) at one time belonged to GALLUS
        SZECHY (ZEECH in Latin). GALLUS SZECHY was the Count of ZALA county (western
        side of Lake Balaton in Hungary) and appears to have been a knight in the
        famous ORDINIS DRACONIS ("Order of the Dragon"), from which the legendary Dracula
        ("son of Dracul") gets his name. In 1393, there is a reference to SEDLICZE
        (SEDLICE) and "Magister Gallus de Zech, aulae nostrae miles" (translated
        "Master Gallus of Sec, our palace knight"). Zech (Sec) most likely refers to SE
        COVCE (formerly known as GALSECS) near ZEMPLEN county, a village with which
        Gallus Szechy is associated. There is also a reference in 1418 document to two
        of his sons and the Order of the Dragon: "Georgio et Jaabo, filiis Galli,
        olim Comiitis Zoliensis de Zech" (George and Jacob, sons of Gallus, for a time
        the Count of Zala from Sec (Zech)."

        In regard to SEBES, SEBES appears in the names of several villages on the
        east of PRESOV -- FELSO SEBES (now known as VYSNA SEBASTOVA) and ALSO SEBES
        (now known as NIZNA SEBASTOVA).

        Please feel free to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
        (mailto:David1Law@...) (the "1" is a "one"). I would love to hear more and see if there
        is any connection. If anything, we may be able to help each other out, as I
        am trying to go farther back in the records, and it is possible that my
        BALOG clan came from the villages south of OVCIE and HRABKOV, as I've seen a
        BALOGA in the SIROKE parish record (SIROKE, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA) who came from
        the village of DRIENOV (SZOMOS) which is located south and east of SEDLICE.
        So it quite possible that our respective ancestors may have at least crossed
        paths. I'm particular curious if your DOROV surname is the same as the
        DZUROV surname associated with my family. The surnames below are in my direct
        lineage, but there are a number of other surnames not listed that are part of my
        extended family. I look forward to hearing from you.

        Best regards,

        David

        Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
        DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
        SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
        DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
        (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
        HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
        TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
        WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.