Re: Dual Surnames - What do they imply/mean?

  • Sinbad Schwartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13 10:36 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

      > Background:

      > Beginning in 1845, I find a number of births with the parents
      listed as
      > Josef Galanda and Maria Galanda. On one of the birth records (Gyorgy
      > Galanda, 1851), above the name of the father, Josef Galanda, the
      name
      > Haburaj is also written. Haburaj is a surname that appears fairly
      f>
      requently in the village.

      I had a similar situation with my uncle Vasko Choma in Saros County.
      About 1890 the parish records added Maczko to his family's surname.
      His grandmother was a Maczko. There were a few Choma and Homa
      families in the village. My mother married a Choma Cmar. He died on
      the Polish front in WWI. My thought is that it was a way of
      distinguishing between families. When I visited in 1999, they were
      still using double surnames in the village.

      The only other place I saw it used, outside of parish records, was on
      the manifest of the ship that brought my uncle's sister-in-law to the
      US. She and her children were listed as Choma Mackos. They
      abandoned the double surname once they arrived.

      John M
    • Gordon L. Grening
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14 2:15 PM
        Hi David,

        Is the Dolina you mentioned, Sucha Dolina? I believe that Dolina means
        valley in Slovakia and there are probably a lot of places called Dolina in
        the country.

        My great-grandparents are from Sedlice and Sucha Dolina in the Saris
        region. G-Gfather was a Kotulus and he married a Sebes. What is confusing
        is that we keep finding references to a Sebes-Ondus in the records and could
        never figure out why the double name. Other related family names from the
        village are Palko, Matisko and Dorov.