Notable Carpatho-Rusyn / Slovak Birthday!

  • J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13 10:20 AM
      OK…Notable to me & my family!

      However, PLEASE indulge me as I announce that today – April 13, 2007 – is the 90th
      birthday of my beautiful mom, Elizabeth "Betty" Sasala (nee Sepelak).

      She was born in Perth Amboy, NJ. Her parents were immigrants from two Eastern Slovakian
      villages: Hanajna & Ubrez.

      She is a one-of-a-kind, unique lady – very old school. Mom loves her Orthodox Church;
      can still sing an Old Church Slavonic tune or two; still can cook up the best pirohi,
      bobalky, stuffed cabbage, hrutka, hrin; has a sharp mind & quirky sense of humor;
      stubborn & resourceful; continues to doll up & wear `just-the-right' make-up to go out;
      still gets around on her own two feet - until two months ago was driving; worked at
      Macy's until the age of 75 because she wanted to keep busy; kind, generous & loving; has
      always put her family first.

      All these beautiful traits I attribute directly to her immigrant parents – my beloved
      grandparents, John & Anna.

      She is my role model, my best friend, my inspiration, the wind beneath my wings.
      I love you, Mom!!! Mnohaja Lita!!

      May we all carry into the future the precious traditions & values passed on to us from all of
      our Mothers & Fathers! 'Mnohaja Lita' to all of our Parents!