RE: [S-R] Battle of Dukla Pass - May 5, 2007 - Bridgeport, CT

  • Evelyn Marsh
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 9, 2007
      Thank you, Elizabeth and also David and Michael - I could not have expressed my feelings as well as you all have - I totally agree with you, thank you. I do hope the issue is now closed and William sees more clearly the reason for Bill's lecture - after all, we all had to study the Spanish, Revolution, Civil and WWI & II Wars in school - education never stops.

      Evelyn

      Jerry & Liz Dente <brookft@...> wrote:
      I seldom post because I don't feel nearly as knowledgeable as most other
      members however I felt I must comment on this discussion.
      As a genealogist my role is to research, document and pass on the history of
      my ancestors. Many times I face people who say - let the past go - or only
      write down the "good" things about our family - but I feel a duty to
      preserve the whole, true story of my family - their hardships, their
      mistakes and their bravery at facing the unknown to better their lives and
      the lives of their families. When someone like Bill Tarkulich adds to my
      knowledge and understanding of history by his research - I am so grateful.
      As the wife and mother of soldiers - and as someone who has documented the
      deaths of family members who died in war I am more than thankful when an
      historian like Bill memorializes these sacrifices and places their loss in
      the context of historical perspective.
      When William mentions his relatives who helped the Jews during WWII I
      commend those relatives but wonder what they would think of William's
      comments? Do you think, during the war they were thinking - we don't want
      those soldiers to come and help us? Do you think they thought it would be
      glamorizing war to accept the liberation, salvation and freedom many
      soldiers bought with their lives? I think his ancestors would be deeply
      embarrassed by William's glib remarks - those who benefit from the blood and
      sacrifice of others shouldn't be so quick to dismiss or judge their actions
      when they have the safety of time and distance from those terrible events.
      Elizabeth Dente