[S-R] Battle of Dukla Pass - May 5, 2007 - Bridgeport, CT

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2007
      David Baloga, david1law@... wrote: "I believe that you owe Bill
      Tarkulich a sincere apology. You jump to the conclusion that Bill is
      glorifying war without knowing the substance of his lecture." I do not
      agree. While it is true that I do not know the substance of his lecture,
      he, himself, tells us in the subject space that his subject is the Battle
      of Dukla Pass. If the battle is itself not the subject of his lecture,
      he should have told us what the subject is. I cannot divine from the
      stated subject that that is not what he is really going to talk about.

      What is it about my remarks that you find to be terribly offensive? Is
      it that I do not believe in glorifying war, or is it that I do not
      believe that over 138,000 casualties is not something horrible? I prefer
      to remember not those who gave their lives in battle but my Brna cousins
      who are named among the Righteous Gentiles in the Holocaust Museum for
      their efforts in saving the lives of several Jews.

      Please explain to me how my prayer, asking God to give us the grace to
      follow His teachings so that there will be no further wars, "...defies
      God's word"? How have I distorted God's word?

      Finally, I find your last sentence to be gratuitously offensive since I
      need no apology from you and, frankly, could care less that you ",,,do
      forgive ( me)."

      William F. Brna
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2007
        Dear William:

        Simply stated, you accused Bill Tarkulich of glorifying war without knowing
        the substance of his remarks. That is why I said you owed him an apology,
        and that is why at least two others wrote that your comment about glorifying the
        war was off the mark. If you don't know what the substance of his remarks
        was going to be, as you acknowledge in your last e-mail, then you should not
        have accused him of glorifying war, and Bill would not have had to spent
        unnecessary time away from his family on Easter having to explain why he was not
        glorifying war in his upcoming lecture. If you don't understand this, then
        you don't. What was offensive about your remarks is your jumping to conclusion
        that anyone who wanted to remember those who died are automatically
        "glorifying" war. Those of us who have lost family members in war know that war is a
        horrible thing. In many instances, we may have not only lost the ones who
        actually died in the war but potential future generations as well. Your remark
        about preferring not to remember those who gave their lives in battle
        certainly shows your lack of sympathy to those whose family members have died in
        battle. This same lack of sympathy was clearly evident in your earlier remark
        about those who wanted to remember the 138,000+ who died in the Battle of
        Dukla Pass as "glorifying" war. I can certainly understand wanting to remember
        the heroic actions of family members who saved the lives of Jews and
        definitely commend your family members who did. I also have family members who are
        among the Polish righteous for saving Jews. In regard to your prayer for no
        future wars, it contradicts God's word in the Book of Revelation, including
        Revelation 12:7, as God certainly foretells that there will be future wars
        against evil. God is certainly not a pacifist against evil. As for your remarks
        about not accepting my forgiveness for your earlier remarks, especially on
        this Easter Sunday, your own words speak volumes about yourself.

        .
        Sincerely,

        David Michael Baloga

      • Jerry & Liz Dente
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2007
          I seldom post because I don't feel nearly as knowledgeable as most other
          members however I felt I must comment on this discussion.
          As a genealogist my role is to research, document and pass on the history of
          my ancestors. Many times I face people who say - let the past go - or only
          write down the "good" things about our family - but I feel a duty to
          preserve the whole, true story of my family - their hardships, their
          mistakes and their bravery at facing the unknown to better their lives and
          the lives of their families. When someone like Bill Tarkulich adds to my
          knowledge and understanding of history by his research - I am so grateful.
          As the wife and mother of soldiers - and as someone who has documented the
          deaths of family members who died in war I am more than thankful when an
          historian like Bill memorializes these sacrifices and places their loss in
          the context of historical perspective.
          When William mentions his relatives who helped the Jews during WWII I
          commend those relatives but wonder what they would think of William's
          comments? Do you think, during the war they were thinking - we don't want
          those soldiers to come and help us? Do you think they thought it would be
          glamorizing war to accept the liberation, salvation and freedom many
          soldiers bought with their lives? I think his ancestors would be deeply
          embarrassed by William's glib remarks - those who benefit from the blood and
          sacrifice of others shouldn't be so quick to dismiss or judge their actions
          when they have the safety of time and distance from those terrible events.
          Elizabeth Dente

        • Evelyn Marsh