Dual Surnames - What do they imply/mean?

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2007
      Background:

      Far Eastern Slovakia; Szinna, Zemplen, Hungary. I have an 1843 marriage
      record between a Josef Haburaj and a Maria Galanda. Parents are not listed
      for either bride or groom.

      Beginning in 1845, I find a number of births with the parents listed as
      Josef Galanda and Maria Galanda. On one of the birth records (Gyorgy
      Galanda, 1851), above the name of the father, Josef Galanda, the name
      Haburaj is also written. Haburaj is a surname that appears fairly frequently
      in the village.

      On the 1969 Census [Hungary, Zemplen] the family appears as �

      Szinna-36

      Galanda, Josef [husband]

      Galanda, Maria [wife]

      Galanda Haburaj, Janos [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Gyorgy [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Istvan [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Maria [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Zusza [child]

      For brevity, I�ve skipped the births/baptisms and years of birth on the
      census. There�s no doubt in my mind that this is the same family. And I feel
      certain that the Josef Haburaj on the 1843 marriage record is the same
      person as the father Josef Galanda as appears on the birth records of the
      children and on the census record.

      The surname Galanda does not appear in any of the records until 1838. I
      would check the birth/baptismal records for the birth of a Josef Haburaj in
      1820-1821, but the records are only available in Hungary.

      What do I take the surname Galanda Haburaj to mean?

      Jim

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2007
        Someone suggested recently that a husband might take his wife's name if he
        moves into her father's household, instead of the normal move of the wife
        into household of her husband's father.

        I believe also that husbands sometimes took the wife's name if she was of a
        higher social status.

        These two are actually related, since husbands who move into their wives'
        households were given very low status.

        This is only one suggestion. There may be others.

        Janet

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Sinbad Schwartz
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2007
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

          > Background:

          > Beginning in 1845, I find a number of births with the parents
          listed as
          > Josef Galanda and Maria Galanda. On one of the birth records (Gyorgy
          > Galanda, 1851), above the name of the father, Josef Galanda, the
          name
          > Haburaj is also written. Haburaj is a surname that appears fairly
          f>
          requently in the village.

          I had a similar situation with my uncle Vasko Choma in Saros County.
          About 1890 the parish records added Maczko to his family's surname.
          His grandmother was a Maczko. There were a few Choma and Homa
          families in the village. My mother married a Choma Cmar. He died on
          the Polish front in WWI. My thought is that it was a way of
          distinguishing between families. When I visited in 1999, they were
          still using double surnames in the village.

          The only other place I saw it used, outside of parish records, was on
          the manifest of the ship that brought my uncle's sister-in-law to the
          US. She and her children were listed as Choma Mackos. They
          abandoned the double surname once they arrived.

          John M
        • Gordon L. Grening
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2007
            Hi David,

            Is the Dolina you mentioned, Sucha Dolina? I believe that Dolina means
            valley in Slovakia and there are probably a lot of places called Dolina in
            the country.

            My great-grandparents are from Sedlice and Sucha Dolina in the Saris
            region. G-Gfather was a Kotulus and he married a Sebes. What is confusing
            is that we keep finding references to a Sebes-Ondus in the records and could
            never figure out why the double name. Other related family names from the
            village are Palko, Matisko and Dorov.