Re: [S-R] Spring Slovakia Magazine

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4 5:15 AM
      Dear Slovak Roots Friends,

      Happy Easter!

      The Spring issue of Slovakia magazine published by the Slovak Heritage & Folklore Society International features an article on "Easter Memories" by Sylvia Marcinko Chai; Flutist Dennette Derbis McDermott tells how she used flutes to build bridges between Slovakia and America; Slovak Proverbs are featured in an article by Ginny Parobek and Margaret Hurn Minar describes her recent American-Slovak wedding in Topolcianky Castle in December.

      This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village homes in the background. The back features a colorful painting of an ancient spring custom and two pictures of ritual Easter baskets - one shows the embroidered basket cover and the second gives a peek inside to the decorated eggs and other Easter foods inside ready to be blessed.

      If you would like a sample copy please send $2 to Helene Cincebeaux, 151 Colebrook Dr, Rochester NY 14617.

    • amayor89
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4 9:26 AM
        A quick check on Ancestry.com did not provide an exact match for this
        name entering the US before 1920.

        Do you know from what country LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI immigrated from and
        the approximate date? The Ellis Island passenger search is free at
        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passSearch.asp.

        Hope this helps.
      • fc_popovich
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4 9:54 AM
          Brutovce Area - Slovakia. Most likey after 1910/12 when her husband
          arrived.

          I did not find her on Ellis Island. Many came in through the Port of
          New York (other than through Ellis Island).

          Ancestry.com had a listing for her name on the Immigration NEW YORK
          Passenger list. That is what we were trying to have a look at.

          Thanks for your response.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "amayor89" <amay@...> wrote:

          > A quick check on Ancestry.com did not provide an exact match for this
          > name entering the US before 1920.
          >
          > Do you know from what country LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI immigrated from and
          > the approximate date? The Ellis Island passenger search is free at
          > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passSearch.asp.
          >
          > Hope this helps.

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4 10:29 AM
            >>> LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI <<<

            Only one instance of Leokadia on Ellis island. Leokadia V. Zaremba,
            1904.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4 10:54 AM
              >>> Brutovce Area - Slovakia <<<

              RC or GC? LDS has church records for both religions.

              Brutovce = Brutocz and is shown as Szepes Szt Lorincz on the 1910
              Szepes Megye map.
            • fc_popovich
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4 11:50 AM
                RC John - thank you. We are just trying to locate one person :
                Leokadia Mlynarski/czky/czyk on the immigration records.

                I have the Brutovce film on permanent loan already.

                That is a very good tip on the 1910 map, I thought Swepes Szt Lorincz
                was a nearby village and you are saying it is one and the same with
                Brutocz. THAT answers a lot of questions for me.

                Thank You very much and Happy Easter to you.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
                wrote:

                > RC or GC? LDS has church records for both religions.
                >
                > Brutovce = Brutocz and is shown as Szepes Szt Lorincz on the 1910
                > Szepes Megye map.

              • fc_popovich
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4 11:52 AM
                  Yes - but that is not her according to my friend Silvan. Thank you
                  again.

                  > Only one instance of Leokadia on Ellis island. Leokadia V. Zaremba,
                  > 1904.

                • Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4 11:53 AM
                    I think it is likely Leokadya Mlynowska, born 1888, immigrated 1913 from
                    Grabina, Russia. She was traveling with children, Mieczyslara(?), 3, and
                    Helena, 6. I suspect that Mlynowska was the feminine form of the Mlynarski
                    name.

                    For searching Ellis Island records it is much preferable to use
                    www.stevemorse.org <http://www.stevemorse.org/> . I found her by using
                    Starts With Leo and Mlyn.

                    The Detroit Census records for this family indicate they were from "Russian
                    Poland."

                    Janet

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4 12:50 PM
                      Thank you Janet, I did see that also. I have forwarded your message
                      to Silvan to see if it might sound familiar.

                      Thanks to all who responded.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>

                      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
                      > Behalf Of fc_popovich
                      > Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:10 PM
                      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [S-R] Look up request on Ancestry - Immigration Passenger
                      List

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Is there anyone able to do a lookup at Ancestry.com for a fellow
                      Slovak
                      > researcher in the U.K.?
                      >
                      > He needs the info on LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI - NY Passenger list 1820-
                      1957.
                      > I see the name in the 1920 census and have already sent that to him.
                      >
                      > Thanks from us both if you are able to help.
                      >
                      > Fran

                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4 2:56 PM
                        >>> from Grabina, Russia.<<<

                        What do you make of the Grabina, Mal.(?). Perhaps not Russia, though I
                        do see the ditto marks.

                        The husband was located in Indian Harbor, IN, probably working in the
                        steel mill. I don't know if that fits with other available info.
                      • Don Havlicek
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4 3:01 PM
                          I wonder if Mal. is an abbreviation for Malapolsky ... part of Southern
                          Poland.
                          Don Havlicek

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4 3:24 PM
                            Trying to track down Wlodzimierz Danielwicz born July 7, 1863 in Bobrka, Mala Polska.

                            Trouble is there are three Bobrkas

                            1) right on the Polish/Slovak border north of the Dukla Pass

                            2) near Sanok, Poland

                            3) in Ukraine

                            Does the name give any clues to place of origin? He emigrated to Chicago

                            have a page of births from an old records from Bobrka - the handwriting is lovely but cramped into a tiny space and hard to read - wonder if the other names there would give any clue as to which Bobrka

                            FedoryszynJacobus
                            Kremer, Michael
                            Danilewicz?? hard to read, Helena
                            Wegrzyn, Adalbertus