Look up request on Ancestry - Immigration Passenger List

  • fc_popovich
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
      Hi,

      Is there anyone able to do a lookup at Ancestry.com for a fellow Slovak
      researcher in the U.K.?

      He needs the info on LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI - NY Passenger list 1820-1957.
      I see the name in the 1920 census and have already sent that to him.

      Thanks from us both if you are able to help.

      Fran
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
        Dear Slovak Roots Friends,

        Happy Easter!

        The Spring issue of Slovakia magazine published by the Slovak Heritage & Folklore Society International features an article on "Easter Memories" by Sylvia Marcinko Chai; Flutist Dennette Derbis McDermott tells how she used flutes to build bridges between Slovakia and America; Slovak Proverbs are featured in an article by Ginny Parobek and Margaret Hurn Minar describes her recent American-Slovak wedding in Topolcianky Castle in December.

        This is the 82nd issue published over the past 21 years and has a charming and colorful cover, a watercolor of a village woman in her babushka holding pussy willows with chicks at her feet and village homes in the background. The back features a colorful painting of an ancient spring custom and two pictures of ritual Easter baskets - one shows the embroidered basket cover and the second gives a peek inside to the decorated eggs and other Easter foods inside ready to be blessed.

        If you would like a sample copy please send $2 to Helene Cincebeaux, 151 Colebrook Dr, Rochester NY 14617.

      • amayor89
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
          A quick check on Ancestry.com did not provide an exact match for this
          name entering the US before 1920.

          Do you know from what country LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI immigrated from and
          the approximate date? The Ellis Island passenger search is free at
          http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passSearch.asp.

          Hope this helps.
        • fc_popovich
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
            Brutovce Area - Slovakia. Most likey after 1910/12 when her husband
            arrived.

            I did not find her on Ellis Island. Many came in through the Port of
            New York (other than through Ellis Island).

            Ancestry.com had a listing for her name on the Immigration NEW YORK
            Passenger list. That is what we were trying to have a look at.

            Thanks for your response.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "amayor89" <amay@...> wrote:

            > A quick check on Ancestry.com did not provide an exact match for this
            > name entering the US before 1920.
            >
            > Do you know from what country LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI immigrated from and
            > the approximate date? The Ellis Island passenger search is free at
            > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passSearch.asp.
            >
            > Hope this helps.

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
              >>> LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI <<<

              Only one instance of Leokadia on Ellis island. Leokadia V. Zaremba,
              1904.
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                >>> Brutovce Area - Slovakia <<<

                RC or GC? LDS has church records for both religions.

                Brutovce = Brutocz and is shown as Szepes Szt Lorincz on the 1910
                Szepes Megye map.
              • fc_popovich
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                  RC John - thank you. We are just trying to locate one person :
                  Leokadia Mlynarski/czky/czyk on the immigration records.

                  I have the Brutovce film on permanent loan already.

                  That is a very good tip on the 1910 map, I thought Swepes Szt Lorincz
                  was a nearby village and you are saying it is one and the same with
                  Brutocz. THAT answers a lot of questions for me.

                  Thank You very much and Happy Easter to you.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
                  wrote:

                  > RC or GC? LDS has church records for both religions.
                  >
                  > Brutovce = Brutocz and is shown as Szepes Szt Lorincz on the 1910
                  > Szepes Megye map.

                • fc_popovich
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Yes - but that is not her according to my friend Silvan. Thank you
                    again.

                    > Only one instance of Leokadia on Ellis island. Leokadia V. Zaremba,
                    > 1904.

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                      I think it is likely Leokadya Mlynowska, born 1888, immigrated 1913 from
                      Grabina, Russia. She was traveling with children, Mieczyslara(?), 3, and
                      Helena, 6. I suspect that Mlynowska was the feminine form of the Mlynarski
                      name.

                      For searching Ellis Island records it is much preferable to use
                      www.stevemorse.org <http://www.stevemorse.org/> . I found her by using
                      Starts With Leo and Mlyn.

                      The Detroit Census records for this family indicate they were from "Russian
                      Poland."

                      Janet

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                        Thank you Janet, I did see that also. I have forwarded your message
                        to Silvan to see if it might sound familiar.

                        Thanks to all who responded.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>

                        ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
                        > Behalf Of fc_popovich
                        > Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:10 PM
                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [S-R] Look up request on Ancestry - Immigration Passenger
                        List

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Is there anyone able to do a lookup at Ancestry.com for a fellow
                        Slovak
                        > researcher in the U.K.?
                        >
                        > He needs the info on LEOKADIA MLYNARSKI - NY Passenger list 1820-
                        1957.
                        > I see the name in the 1920 census and have already sent that to him.
                        >
                        > Thanks from us both if you are able to help.
                        >
                        > Fran

                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                          >>> from Grabina, Russia.<<<

                          What do you make of the Grabina, Mal.(?). Perhaps not Russia, though I
                          do see the ditto marks.

                          The husband was located in Indian Harbor, IN, probably working in the
                          steel mill. I don't know if that fits with other available info.
                        • Don Havlicek
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                            I wonder if Mal. is an abbreviation for Malapolsky ... part of Southern
                            Poland.
                            Don Havlicek

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                              Trying to track down Wlodzimierz Danielwicz born July 7, 1863 in Bobrka, Mala Polska.

                              Trouble is there are three Bobrkas

                              1) right on the Polish/Slovak border north of the Dukla Pass

                              2) near Sanok, Poland

                              3) in Ukraine

                              Does the name give any clues to place of origin? He emigrated to Chicago

                              have a page of births from an old records from Bobrka - the handwriting is lovely but cramped into a tiny space and hard to read - wonder if the other names there would give any clue as to which Bobrka

                              FedoryszynJacobus
                              Kremer, Michael
                              Danilewicz?? hard to read, Helena
                              Wegrzyn, Adalbertus