Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 27 , May 31, 2000
      Ruth Ann,

      To add an idea to Maura's note: this is late to plan or follow through,
      but consider the time and money you have invested in the trip and how
      much you and your daughter want to do the research. Consider hiring aa
      professional genealogist for the day or for two half-days to show you
      where things are in the city and how to conduct the research. Adequate
      lead time would allow you to locate such a service and negotiate
      conditions and costs in advance. You are a little tighter on time, so I
      wish you well.

      Ron

    • helenezx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , May 31, 2000
        In a message dated 5/31/0 7:46:26 PM, lkocik@... writes:

        << I feel I have
        exhausted all my resources online. >>

        Hi Larry -

        I have 2 listings for Kocik in Slovak Pride data base - does either ring a
        bell as to your ancestor's place of origin? e mail me direct

        Village & Cty Ancestor
        Richnava SPIS Kocik
        Spis. Hanusovce SPIS Kocik

        helene
      • helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , May 31, 2000
          In a message dated 5/31/0 3:10:23 PM, Fillmanshome@... writes:

          << ived near Prague in town called
          Prostofui? odd spelling. >>

          Could it be Proste~jov in Moravia - tho not near to Prague - immigrants often
          said this . The ending could be a case ending.

          Would be hard to look in the arichves without an actual place - records
          aren't computerized by surname but by parish.

          helene
        • lkocik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , May 31, 2000
            Greg
            Thank you for the advice. I have an LDS church in the town I live in so I
            think I'll check to see what they have. I wouldn't mind too much paying for
            the disk if I knew it had what I was looking for.
            Again, thank you
            Larry
          • lkocik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , May 31, 2000
              Andrea
              What a beautifull writer you are...The Zen is in the journey, and you
              captured the true spirit of searching for our ancestors. I too want to know
              the times and lifestyles as well as the cold facts.
              Larry
            • gregory lantay
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                If you're looking for a rise or a fight - FORGET IT!
                This is America!! We can speak and write freely. I
                read your comments and have concluded "it appears you
                enjoy getting into the mud with people" SHAME ON YOU!

                Thank you for the correction about ancestry.com. What
                I wrote was suppose to be a POSITIVE informative
                opinioned comment. It appears that it was turned into
                into a negative. SHAME ON YOU AGAIN.

                Try to Relax ... and smile. You write like you've got
                a grudge or chip on your shoulder. RELAX, you might
                be taking things too seriously!!!!

                Chow from Greg.. I wish you the best .. Jaw Johnson!

                http://click.egroups.com/1/4517/0/_/545880/_/959815274/

                http://im.yahoo.com/
              • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                  Greg,

                  Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of the LDS) wrecks through
                  your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are just use to being in it
                  that it's all you can see.

                  I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative comments about the LDS their
                  efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our ancestors ---- and that was
                  all it was a simple correction to a mistake and chastening for your total
                  disrespect for others.

                  Peace to you!!!!

                  This is an end to something that our ancestors would be vehemently against.

                  Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be attached for defending a
                  group of people (LDS) from misinformation.
                • gregory lantay
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                    A RESPONSE FOR EVERYONE TO READ:

                    How is this guy or gal? I myself have high regard for
                    the LDS church, its mission, and for 99.8% of its
                    members. I'm retired and have no problems at all, I
                    just like to say it the way it is - I'm sorry if what
                    I've said may have been misintrepreted! I live in
                    AMERICA (USA) and not in Europe or someplace else.
                    I'm not bashing anyone in particular, and especially
                    not the LDS church. JAWJOHNSON is the problem!!!

                    I don't believe I've said anything wrong or bad, nor
                    am I saying anything wrong or bad right now. I don't
                    know what your problem is? You're apparently taking
                    what I've written way out of context and have
                    interpreted it in some kind of weird way?? You're
                    reminding of a a weirdo I say on TTV briefly before I
                    tuned him out (his name was Howard Stern). Who are
                    you to judge anyone?

                    So STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Forget you! -
                    I HOPE THEY PULL YOU OFF THIS WEB-SITE or at least
                    slap your hand. I repeat myself, I have no problems
                    with anyone or anything except for the way some
                    individuals like jawjohnson put themselves above the
                    LDS church and everyone else by makeing judgments.
                    SO STOP IT!!!!

                    I'm now done with you! "please go crawl back under the
                    rock you came out from under".
                    Greg

                    --- Jawjohnson16@... wrote:
                    > Greg,
                    >
                    > Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of
                    > the LDS) wrecks through
                    > your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are
                    > just use to being in it
                    > that it's all you can see.
                    >
                    > I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative
                    > comments about the LDS their
                    > efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our
                    > ancestors ---- and that was
                    > all it was a simple correction to a mistake and
                    > chastening for your total
                    > disrespect for others.
                    >
                    > Peace to you!!!!
                    >
                    > This is an end to something that our ancestors would
                    > be vehemently against.
                    >
                    > Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be
                    > attached for defending a
                    > group of people (LDS) from misinformation.

                    > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for
                    > trying @Backup
                    > Get automatic protection and access to your
                    > important computer files.
                    > Install today:

                    http://click.egroups.com/1/4874/0/_/545880/_/959909511/

                    http://im.yahoo.com/
                  • Fred Corbett
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                      You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
                      verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
                      spelled different from what you expected.

                      Fred

                      Eric Haas wrote:

                      > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
                      >
                      > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                      > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                      > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                      > > security number to find out more information about her?
                      >
                      > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                      > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

                      > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
                      > experiments.
                    • Kathleen Duvall
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                        > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                        > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                        > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                        > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                        > fingers do the walking. >

                        How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                        information?

                        I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                        her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                        all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                        They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.

                        I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                        disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......

                        As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                        many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                        on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                        Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                        only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                        the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                        Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                        brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937

                        From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                        names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                        out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                        now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                        puzzle.

                        And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                        my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                        Zsuzsa.

                        I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!

                        Kathleen in Florida
                      • Andrea Vangor
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                          Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                          1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                          > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                          > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                          > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                          > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                          > > fingers do the walking. >
                          >
                          > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                          > information?
                          >
                          > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                          > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                          > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                          > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                          >
                          > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                          > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                          >
                          > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                          > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                          > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                          > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                          > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                          > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                          > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                          > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                          >
                          > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                          > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                          > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                          > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                          > puzzle.
                          >
                          > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                          > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                          > Zsuzsa.
                          >
                          > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                          >
                          > Kathleen in Florida

                          > Old school buds here:

                        • Kathleen Duvall
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                            > You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
                            > pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
                            > think it is more fun to do it the hard way.>

                            And there's the Eureka factor. Have you ever found that crucial piece
                            of information and say Eureka! I have -- corny as I must have sounded,
                            alone as I was. :) It's a great feeling.

                            Kathleen in Florida
                            researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                          • Brecosky
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                              Kathleen:

                              I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                              south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                              can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                              this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                              connection!

                              Anita B.

                              SNIP
                              > They settled in Pittsburgh
                              SNIP
                              > Kathleen in Florida
                            • jallen50
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.

                                Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                                1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                                > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                > > fingers do the walking. >
                                >
                                > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                > information?
                                >
                                > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                                >
                                > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                                >
                                > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                                >
                                > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                > puzzle.
                                >
                                > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                > Zsuzsa.
                                >
                                > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                                >
                                > Kathleen in Florida

                                > Old school buds here:

                                Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                                more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                                rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                                http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/0/_/545880/_/960337979/
                              • Kathleen Duvall
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                  > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                  > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                  > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                  > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                  > connection! Anita B.>

                                  Thanks so much Anita!

                                  I was born in Pittsburgh. My family moved to Arizona in 1956 --
                                  everyone still thought it was the land of opportunity, I guess! I love
                                  Pennsylvania and wish they had never moved.

                                  After WWII, my parents lived with my grandparents in a section of
                                  Pittsburgh that I think has since been torn down to make 3 Rivers
                                  Stadium. My husband and I were up there in 1994 trying to find the
                                  street they lived on and that I remembered so well, but even though it
                                  was on the map, we couldn't locate it anywhere.

                                  Just reminiscing.

                                  Kathleen in Florida
                                  researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                • Kathleen Duvall
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                    > Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                    > in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.>

                                    Me too! I want to know too. :)

                                    Kathleen in Florida
                                    researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                  • Kathleen Duvall
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                      > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                      > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                      > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                      > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                      > connection! Anita B.>

                                      Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                      population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                      Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

                                      Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
                                      the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
                                      card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
                                      she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
                                      were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                      work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

                                      I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                      then (1911 and on)?

                                      I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                      wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                      a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                      security number to find out more information about her?

                                      Thanks so much!

                                      Kathleen in Florida
                                      researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                    • Eric Haas
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                        Kathleen Duvall wrote:

                                        > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                        > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                        > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                        > security number to find out more information about her?

                                        With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                                        application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
                                      • Frank Kurchina
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
                                          live just
                                          > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
                                          anything I
                                          > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
                                          only been on
                                          > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
                                          Pittsburgh
                                          > > connection! Anita B.>
                                          >
                                          > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                          > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                          > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
                                          >
                                          > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
                                          in
                                          > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
                                          Security
                                          > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
                                          assumed
                                          > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
                                          women
                                          > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                          > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
                                          >
                                          > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                          > then (1911 and on)?
                                          >
                                          > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                          > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
                                          did have
                                          > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
                                          social
                                          > security number to find out more information about her?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks so much!
                                          >
                                          > Kathleen in Florida
                                          > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                                          Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
                                          5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

                                          http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
                                          0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
                                          23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                          59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

                                          http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
                                          &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
                                          =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                          Social Security began in 1937.
                                          If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
                                          applied for her death benefit payments.

                                          You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
                                          The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
                                          entered from the SSDI information.
                                          The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
                                          origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

                                          Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

                                          =>
                                          1.Certificate of Arrival
                                          (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
                                          about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
                                          individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
                                          port of entry upon arrival)

                                          2.Declaration of Intention
                                          (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
                                          of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
                                          foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
                                          embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

                                          3.Petition for Naturalization
                                          (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
                                          names of two witnesses)

                                          4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
                                          (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
                                          items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
                                          souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

                                          Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
                                          her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
                                          if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
                                          to wait until after 21st birthday.
                                          Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

                                          Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
                                          Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
                                          Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
                                          Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
                                          were already living.

                                          No green cards back then.