Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 27 , May 31, 2000
      Ruth Ann,

      To add an idea to Maura's note: this is late to plan or follow through,
      but consider the time and money you have invested in the trip and how
      much you and your daughter want to do the research. Consider hiring aa
      professional genealogist for the day or for two half-days to show you
      where things are in the city and how to conduct the research. Adequate
      lead time would allow you to locate such a service and negotiate
      conditions and costs in advance. You are a little tighter on time, so I
      wish you well.

      Ron

    • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
      Message 2 of 27 , May 31, 2000
        Andrea,

        THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU!!!

        The LDS do a great service to all of us who are working on our ancestors ---
        My slovenian ancestors thank all of them who have labored in the Balkan's
        copying these materials. Afterall, they don't just miraculously appear on
        microfilm, the LDS send their own people to these foreign lands to do this
        tedious work --- for all of us!!!!

        Thanks for the nice words.

        Joy Johnson
      • helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , May 31, 2000
          In a message dated 5/31/0 7:46:26 PM, lkocik@... writes:

          << I feel I have
          exhausted all my resources online. >>

          Hi Larry -

          I have 2 listings for Kocik in Slovak Pride data base - does either ring a
          bell as to your ancestor's place of origin? e mail me direct

          Village & Cty Ancestor
          Richnava SPIS Kocik
          Spis. Hanusovce SPIS Kocik

          helene
        • helenezx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , May 31, 2000
            In a message dated 5/31/0 3:10:23 PM, Fillmanshome@... writes:

            << ived near Prague in town called
            Prostofui? odd spelling. >>

            Could it be Proste~jov in Moravia - tho not near to Prague - immigrants often
            said this . The ending could be a case ending.

            Would be hard to look in the arichves without an actual place - records
            aren't computerized by surname but by parish.

            helene
          • lkocik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , May 31, 2000
              Greg
              Thank you for the advice. I have an LDS church in the town I live in so I
              think I'll check to see what they have. I wouldn't mind too much paying for
              the disk if I knew it had what I was looking for.
              Again, thank you
              Larry
            • lkocik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                Andrea
                What a beautifull writer you are...The Zen is in the journey, and you
                captured the true spirit of searching for our ancestors. I too want to know
                the times and lifestyles as well as the cold facts.
                Larry
              • gregory lantay
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                  If you're looking for a rise or a fight - FORGET IT!
                  This is America!! We can speak and write freely. I
                  read your comments and have concluded "it appears you
                  enjoy getting into the mud with people" SHAME ON YOU!

                  Thank you for the correction about ancestry.com. What
                  I wrote was suppose to be a POSITIVE informative
                  opinioned comment. It appears that it was turned into
                  into a negative. SHAME ON YOU AGAIN.

                  Try to Relax ... and smile. You write like you've got
                  a grudge or chip on your shoulder. RELAX, you might
                  be taking things too seriously!!!!

                  Chow from Greg.. I wish you the best .. Jaw Johnson!

                  http://click.egroups.com/1/4517/0/_/545880/_/959815274/

                  http://im.yahoo.com/
                • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                    Greg,

                    Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of the LDS) wrecks through
                    your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are just use to being in it
                    that it's all you can see.

                    I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative comments about the LDS their
                    efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our ancestors ---- and that was
                    all it was a simple correction to a mistake and chastening for your total
                    disrespect for others.

                    Peace to you!!!!

                    This is an end to something that our ancestors would be vehemently against.

                    Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be attached for defending a
                    group of people (LDS) from misinformation.
                  • gregory lantay
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                      A RESPONSE FOR EVERYONE TO READ:

                      How is this guy or gal? I myself have high regard for
                      the LDS church, its mission, and for 99.8% of its
                      members. I'm retired and have no problems at all, I
                      just like to say it the way it is - I'm sorry if what
                      I've said may have been misintrepreted! I live in
                      AMERICA (USA) and not in Europe or someplace else.
                      I'm not bashing anyone in particular, and especially
                      not the LDS church. JAWJOHNSON is the problem!!!

                      I don't believe I've said anything wrong or bad, nor
                      am I saying anything wrong or bad right now. I don't
                      know what your problem is? You're apparently taking
                      what I've written way out of context and have
                      interpreted it in some kind of weird way?? You're
                      reminding of a a weirdo I say on TTV briefly before I
                      tuned him out (his name was Howard Stern). Who are
                      you to judge anyone?

                      So STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Forget you! -
                      I HOPE THEY PULL YOU OFF THIS WEB-SITE or at least
                      slap your hand. I repeat myself, I have no problems
                      with anyone or anything except for the way some
                      individuals like jawjohnson put themselves above the
                      LDS church and everyone else by makeing judgments.
                      SO STOP IT!!!!

                      I'm now done with you! "please go crawl back under the
                      rock you came out from under".
                      Greg

                      --- Jawjohnson16@... wrote:
                      > Greg,
                      >
                      > Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of
                      > the LDS) wrecks through
                      > your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are
                      > just use to being in it
                      > that it's all you can see.
                      >
                      > I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative
                      > comments about the LDS their
                      > efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our
                      > ancestors ---- and that was
                      > all it was a simple correction to a mistake and
                      > chastening for your total
                      > disrespect for others.
                      >
                      > Peace to you!!!!
                      >
                      > This is an end to something that our ancestors would
                      > be vehemently against.
                      >
                      > Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be
                      > attached for defending a
                      > group of people (LDS) from misinformation.

                      > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for
                      > trying @Backup
                      > Get automatic protection and access to your
                      > important computer files.
                      > Install today:

                      http://click.egroups.com/1/4874/0/_/545880/_/959909511/

                      http://im.yahoo.com/
                    • Fred Corbett
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                        You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
                        verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
                        spelled different from what you expected.

                        Fred

                        Eric Haas wrote:

                        > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
                        >
                        > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                        > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                        > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                        > > security number to find out more information about her?
                        >
                        > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                        > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

                        > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
                        > experiments.
                      • Kathleen Duvall
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                          > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                          > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                          > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                          > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                          > fingers do the walking. >

                          How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                          information?

                          I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                          her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                          all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                          They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.

                          I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                          disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......

                          As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                          many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                          on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                          Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                          only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                          the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                          Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                          brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937

                          From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                          names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                          out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                          now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                          puzzle.

                          And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                          my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                          Zsuzsa.

                          I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!

                          Kathleen in Florida
                        • Andrea Vangor
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                            Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                            1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                            > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                            > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                            > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                            > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                            > > fingers do the walking. >
                            >
                            > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                            > information?
                            >
                            > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                            > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                            > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                            > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                            >
                            > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                            > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                            >
                            > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                            > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                            > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                            > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                            > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                            > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                            > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                            > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                            >
                            > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                            > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                            > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                            > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                            > puzzle.
                            >
                            > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                            > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                            > Zsuzsa.
                            >
                            > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                            >
                            > Kathleen in Florida

                            > Old school buds here:

                          • Kathleen Duvall
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                              > You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
                              > pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
                              > think it is more fun to do it the hard way.>

                              And there's the Eureka factor. Have you ever found that crucial piece
                              of information and say Eureka! I have -- corny as I must have sounded,
                              alone as I was. :) It's a great feeling.

                              Kathleen in Florida
                              researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                            • Brecosky
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                Kathleen:

                                I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                connection!

                                Anita B.

                                SNIP
                                > They settled in Pittsburgh
                                SNIP
                                > Kathleen in Florida
                              • jallen50
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                  Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                  in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.

                                  Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                                  1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                                  > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                  > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                  > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                  > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                  > > fingers do the walking. >
                                  >
                                  > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                  > information?
                                  >
                                  > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                  > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                  > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                  > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                                  >
                                  > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                  > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                                  >
                                  > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                  > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                  > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                  > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                  > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                  > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                  > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                  > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                                  >
                                  > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                  > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                  > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                  > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                  > puzzle.
                                  >
                                  > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                  > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                  > Zsuzsa.
                                  >
                                  > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                                  >
                                  > Kathleen in Florida

                                  > Old school buds here:

                                  Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                                  more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                                  rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                                  http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/0/_/545880/_/960337979/
                                • Kathleen Duvall
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                    > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                    > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                    > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                    > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                    > connection! Anita B.>

                                    Thanks so much Anita!

                                    I was born in Pittsburgh. My family moved to Arizona in 1956 --
                                    everyone still thought it was the land of opportunity, I guess! I love
                                    Pennsylvania and wish they had never moved.

                                    After WWII, my parents lived with my grandparents in a section of
                                    Pittsburgh that I think has since been torn down to make 3 Rivers
                                    Stadium. My husband and I were up there in 1994 trying to find the
                                    street they lived on and that I remembered so well, but even though it
                                    was on the map, we couldn't locate it anywhere.

                                    Just reminiscing.

                                    Kathleen in Florida
                                    researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                  • Kathleen Duvall
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                      > Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                      > in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.>

                                      Me too! I want to know too. :)

                                      Kathleen in Florida
                                      researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                    • Kathleen Duvall
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                        > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                        > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                        > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                        > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                        > connection! Anita B.>

                                        Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                        population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                        Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

                                        Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
                                        the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
                                        card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
                                        she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
                                        were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                        work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

                                        I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                        then (1911 and on)?

                                        I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                        wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                        a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                        security number to find out more information about her?

                                        Thanks so much!

                                        Kathleen in Florida
                                        researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                      • Eric Haas
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                          Kathleen Duvall wrote:

                                          > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                          > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                          > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                          > security number to find out more information about her?

                                          With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                                          application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
                                        • Frank Kurchina
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
                                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
                                            live just
                                            > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
                                            anything I
                                            > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
                                            only been on
                                            > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
                                            Pittsburgh
                                            > > connection! Anita B.>
                                            >
                                            > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                            > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                            > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
                                            >
                                            > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
                                            in
                                            > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
                                            Security
                                            > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
                                            assumed
                                            > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
                                            women
                                            > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                            > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
                                            >
                                            > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                            > then (1911 and on)?
                                            >
                                            > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                            > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
                                            did have
                                            > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
                                            social
                                            > security number to find out more information about her?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks so much!
                                            >
                                            > Kathleen in Florida
                                            > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                                            Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
                                            5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

                                            http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
                                            0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
                                            23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                            59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

                                            http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
                                            &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
                                            =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                            Social Security began in 1937.
                                            If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
                                            applied for her death benefit payments.

                                            You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
                                            The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
                                            entered from the SSDI information.
                                            The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
                                            origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

                                            Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

                                            =>
                                            1.Certificate of Arrival
                                            (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
                                            about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
                                            individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
                                            port of entry upon arrival)

                                            2.Declaration of Intention
                                            (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
                                            of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
                                            foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
                                            embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

                                            3.Petition for Naturalization
                                            (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
                                            names of two witnesses)

                                            4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
                                            (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
                                            items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
                                            souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

                                            Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
                                            her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
                                            if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
                                            to wait until after 21st birthday.
                                            Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

                                            Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
                                            Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
                                            Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
                                            Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
                                            were already living.

                                            No green cards back then.