Re: [S-R] Villages now part of Bratislava

  • Peter Nagy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
      Michael,

      In the surroundings of Bratislava there have been three types of villages
      depending of ethnic background: Slovak, German and Hungarian. Do you know
      the prevalent ethnic group in Olyazvitz?

      Peter

      --
      Cilistovska 20
      931 01 Samorin

    • Alan Antoska
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2007
        I translate the phrase 'obyvatelov Nyiredhazskych' to mean
        resident of Nyired. It was used to describe a groom's
        parents in a marriage register in 1894.

        Is there a village called 'Nyired' or perhaps, is it meant
        to be 'Nyiresd' which today is Breznica?

        Thanks in advance.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21, 2007
          I would think that it was Nyiregyhaza, a major city in Hungary today.

          _____

          I translate the phrase 'obyvatelov Nyiredhazskych' to mean
          resident of Nyired. It was used to describe a groom's
          parents in a marriage register in 1894.

          Is there a village called 'Nyired' or perhaps, is it meant
          to be 'Nyiresd' which today is Breznica?

          Thanks in advance.

          Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger
          <http://au.messenger.yahoo.com> .yahoo.com

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2007
            Peter,
            John Q thought that the phonetic Ol-yaz-vitz could be the word Olyavec. He said that would translate to Olgya village. The Hungarian named village of Olgya is the present day Ol'dza. Which is very near you. According to the Slovakia Census Ol'dza is 94% Hungarian. The family of the friend I'm researching this for is the name Haver. Using the online telephone directory I found five Havers listed in telephone code 031. None of them in Ol'dza.
            My friend, Brian Tilkington, said he was interested in having a professional do a genealogy search. He was wondering what it might cost. I know many factors will determine the cost. Can I give him a idea what the range might be if you did the search for him?
            Michael Mojher

            --
            Cilistovska 20
            931 01 Samorin