Villages now part of Bratislava

  • mgmojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2007
      I am trying to locate a village that now is within the city limits of
      modern Bratislava. Is the a website where such villages can be found.
      I don't have the correct spelling, phonetically it sounds like
      Ol-yaz-vitz.
      Michael Mojher
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
        >>> phonetically it sounds like Ol-yaz-vitz. <<<

        Bill T's site has a searchable list of 1828 village names at
        http://iabsi.com/

        We are in Pozsony Megye and the only listings that begin with "o" are O-
        Gelle, Olgya, Olle-Tejed, Ottenthal. I think you are trying for
        phonetic Olyavec, which I would take to mean Olgya village.

        On the old map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg it
        is shown due southeast of Pozsony in the brown area. On a modern map,
        it is shown as Ol'dza.

        Surprisingly, map coordiates found on the Internet, lead to a different
        village.

        I hope that its the right place.
      • Peter Nagy
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
          Michael,

          In the surroundings of Bratislava there have been three types of villages
          depending of ethnic background: Slovak, German and Hungarian. Do you know
          the prevalent ethnic group in Olyazvitz?

          Peter

          --
          Cilistovska 20
          931 01 Samorin

        • Alan Antoska
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2007
            I translate the phrase 'obyvatelov Nyiredhazskych' to mean
            resident of Nyired. It was used to describe a groom's
            parents in a marriage register in 1894.

            Is there a village called 'Nyired' or perhaps, is it meant
            to be 'Nyiresd' which today is Breznica?

            Thanks in advance.

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21, 2007
              I would think that it was Nyiregyhaza, a major city in Hungary today.

              _____

              I translate the phrase 'obyvatelov Nyiredhazskych' to mean
              resident of Nyired. It was used to describe a groom's
              parents in a marriage register in 1894.

              Is there a village called 'Nyired' or perhaps, is it meant
              to be 'Nyiresd' which today is Breznica?

              Thanks in advance.

              Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger
              <http://au.messenger.yahoo.com> .yahoo.com

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 21, 2007
                Peter,
                John Q thought that the phonetic Ol-yaz-vitz could be the word Olyavec. He said that would translate to Olgya village. The Hungarian named village of Olgya is the present day Ol'dza. Which is very near you. According to the Slovakia Census Ol'dza is 94% Hungarian. The family of the friend I'm researching this for is the name Haver. Using the online telephone directory I found five Havers listed in telephone code 031. None of them in Ol'dza.
                My friend, Brian Tilkington, said he was interested in having a professional do a genealogy search. He was wondering what it might cost. I know many factors will determine the cost. Can I give him a idea what the range might be if you did the search for him?
                Michael Mojher

                --
                Cilistovska 20
                931 01 Samorin