Re: Gyurta on Ellis Island

  • chance_darkeyes
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      Is Gyurta ...Durto in translation? I know nothing of g granmothers
      family, but I don't think anyone came to America, but her Mary/ Maria
      Durto Tkach and they came about 1908-1910 and George Tkach her husband.

      > You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.
      >
      > Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901
      >
      > Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
      > probably kin.

    • chance_darkeyes
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007

        George
        > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
        >
        > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription of
        > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily trust
        the
        > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
        Focus
        > on what is most important . . .
        >
        > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
        >
        > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
        > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

      • Frank R. Plichta
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007
          I'd like to clear up some terminology.

          There are no "Original Certificates". The "Original" record is recorded in
          a ledger style book. So all certificates are transcriptions of the original
          ledger book.

          While handwriting does change over time, the individuals who prepare the
          "transcribed certificates" do it all the time for all sorts of reasons. If
          anyone is best qualified to read the old cursive handwriting, it is the
          people who prepare the "transcribed certificates" for a living. Remember,
          they are also looking at the original record. Plus they are usually
          familiar with the names and rarely need to decipher unusual letters. While
          some records have not weathered the passage of time very well, you are still
          getting a "transcribed certificate" from the people who are most familiar
          with the records.

          Frank R. Plichta

          Galax, Virginia

          "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"