Re: Village and religion?????

  • chance_darkeyes
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      I just got a new scanner and will scan the document as soon as I can
      figure out how it works and get it installed. I appreciate everyone
      that is so kind to help me out. You all are great People and make
      me very proud of my heritage! Deb

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      George
      > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
      >
      > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription
      of
      > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily
      trust the
      > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
      Focus
      > on what is most important . . .
      >
      > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
      >
      > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
      > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

    • chance_darkeyes
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        Is Gyurta ...Durto in translation? I know nothing of g granmothers
        family, but I don't think anyone came to America, but her Mary/ Maria
        Durto Tkach and they came about 1908-1910 and George Tkach her husband.

        > You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.
        >
        > Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901
        >
        > Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
        > probably kin.

      • chance_darkeyes
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007

          George
          > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
          >
          > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription of
          > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily trust
          the
          > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
          Focus
          > on what is most important . . .
          >
          > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
          >
          > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
          > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

        • Frank R. Plichta
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007
            I'd like to clear up some terminology.

            There are no "Original Certificates". The "Original" record is recorded in
            a ledger style book. So all certificates are transcriptions of the original
            ledger book.

            While handwriting does change over time, the individuals who prepare the
            "transcribed certificates" do it all the time for all sorts of reasons. If
            anyone is best qualified to read the old cursive handwriting, it is the
            people who prepare the "transcribed certificates" for a living. Remember,
            they are also looking at the original record. Plus they are usually
            familiar with the names and rarely need to decipher unusual letters. While
            some records have not weathered the passage of time very well, you are still
            getting a "transcribed certificate" from the people who are most familiar
            with the records.

            Frank R. Plichta

            Galax, Virginia

            "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"