Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] From the listowner

  • mjesko@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2000
      Hi gang!

      To those looking up names from the Czech Lands, please remember that not
      all of them came thru Ellis Island. Many came thru Philadelphia and
      Baltimore, which has a good sized Czech community.

      Another example, my best friend's grandfather came from Croatia thru
      Gavelston, Texas and ended up in Pittsburgh!

      Good Luck!

      mark

      ps
      As for the Martinka name in English, it would not be MARTHA. MARTA is
      the Slovak version of Martha. The name Martinka doesn't translate into
      English.
    • Tom Flynn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
        On Wed, 31 May 2000 mjesko@... wrote:

        > Hi gang!
        >
        > To those looking up names from the Czech Lands, please remember that not
        > all of them came thru Ellis Island. Many came thru Philadelphia and
        > Baltimore, which has a good sized Czech community.
        >
        > Another example, my best friend's grandfather came from Croatia thru
        > Gavelston, Texas and ended up in Pittsburgh!
        >
        > Good Luck!
        >
        > mark

        Yes, there are quite a few czechs in texas, mostly as I understand from
        families that emigrated from Moravia. Besides the town of West, Texas
        (which is not in western texas, but rather north of Waco) there are
        several towns around Flatonia that were settled by Czechs. I think they
        came from Galveston, and maybe even Corpus Christi.

        Unfortunately, not many Slovaks here (though a few, like my family, came
        from other areas of the US and ended up settling here)

        ---------
        Tom Flynn

        I represent only myself
      • Rosamken@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2000
          In a message dated 05/31/2000 4:00:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          mjesko@... writes:

          << To those looking up names from the Czech Lands, please remember that not
          all of them came thru Ellis Island. Many came thru Philadelphia and
          Baltimore, which has a good sized Czech community. >>

          Mark:

          I was always told that my Czech grannie came from Pennsylvannia, one cousin
          said she was born in Bohemia, Czech, I can't find her coming on any ship to
          New York (where she lived all her life that I remember)...I keep hearing
          about a large population coming from Philadelphia, I will try census records
          there, as I can't find her on the 1920 census in NYC. and to confuse matters,
          her death cert said she was born in NYC.....information only as accuarate as
          the informant supplies. I have requested her birth cert from NYC...but no
          answer yet.

          Thanks for the lead.
          God Bless
          Rosemary - Las Vegas
          Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI, CIANCI,
          GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Rosamken@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 05/31/2000 4:00:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            > mjesko@w... writes:
            >

            > I was always told that my Czech grannie came from Pennsylvannia,
            one
            cousin
            > said she was born in Bohemia, Czech, I can't find her coming on any
            ship to
            > New York (where she lived all her life that I remember)...I keep
            hearing
            > about a large population coming from Philadelphia, I will try
            census
            records
            > there, as I can't find her on the 1920 census in NYC. and to
            confuse
            matters,
            > her death cert said she was born in NYC.....information only as
            accuarate as
            > the informant supplies. I have requested her birth cert from
            NYC...but no
            > answer yet.
            >
            > Thanks for the lead.
            > God Bless
            > Rosemary - Las Vegas
            > Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI,
            CIANCI,
            > GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY

            You didn't mention the surname of your babic^ka.
            From your list of surnames it must have been either
            Sladky or Cerny ?

            Cerny meaning "a dark hair man" is the 5th most popular
            surname in the Czech Republic.
            5 % of the Czech population bear this particular surname.

            There are probably 3000-4000+ surname Cerny bearers living just
            in the U.S.

            Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
            (10th century-1918) and after 1867, part of the Austro-Hungarian
            Monarchy.
            It was an Austrian Kröneland.

            There was no country called "Czechoslovakia" until the WW I
            peace treaty.

            In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created
            from the Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia)
            and a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

            The U.S. Census enumerations 1880/1900/1910 reflected this.
            The 1920 U.S. Census reflected the political changes that
            occurred in Europe after 1918.

            Early on , Czechs emigrated to the U.S. via the Gulf State
            ports and TX and then moved to the Midwest and elsewhere.
            This migration began around 1850 and accelerated into the 1890s.
            Czechs to PA likely entered the U.S. through the Philadelphia
            port of entry since it was the closest to their Final Destinations.

            If your cousin is correct there is no b.c. from NYC or PA ?
            When was your baba born ?
            If she emigrated to the U.S. she probably sailed from either the
            Bremen or Hamburg, Germany port of exit.
          • David Mothkovich
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
              It appears that Mladen/Mardalj Sardjan is harassing people again on this
              site.
              Could you arrange for him to be "blocked" etc., before it gets ugly again.
              Thanks
              Dave