From the listowner

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 3:14 PM
      Addressing recent concerns....

      First of all, I don't know what is meant by "stopping the
      advertisements". It's been discussed on the list before that egroups is
      a free service and as such puts tagline ads on messages which I can do
      nothing about.

      If you meant the discussion about CD roms, I don't consider that an
      advertisement, any more than I do when people refer others to a book or
      to the archives. It's sharing information.

      I asked last night that people take the discussion on the Mormon records
      privately as I felt it -might- turn into something negative. Remember,
      this started with a question on "restricted" vs. "not for extraction".
      Answering that question is part of sharing information, which is what we
      are here for. I doubt you'll find another list for this geographic area
      more on-topic and less "off topic" than this one, but if you don't like
      how this list is set up or what goes on, there may be other lists better
      suited to your needs.

      Certain topics (including religion and politics) get people riled up. We
      usually try and avoid these subjects, but sometimes things do have to be
      addressed. Many people don't understand what the IGI is or what it
      means. Explaining it and understanding it is part of basic genealogy
      research. We are all entitled to our own opinions on the other aspects
      of this issue, and if you wish to share them privately fine, but please
      keep that aspect off the list.

      Thank you for your cooperation.....

      Maura

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2000
        You may have noticed that the ads which were previously at the bottom of
        messages are now at the -top- of each message. This is a new policy of
        egroups, and is not one which I can do anything about. Personally, I'm
        not thrilled about it, but again, it's not under my control.

        Altogether, I believe egroups to be a good service, and it is free after
        all, so the ads are how they support being able to host all these lists.
        Even Rootsweb is now putting ads on all new lists, so ads on mailing
        lists are a fact of life now on the internet.

        I just wanted to explain what is going on as I'm sure some of you would
        wonder.

        Maura