Gyurta on Ellis Island

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.

      Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901

      Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
      probably kin.
    • chance_darkeyes
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
        I just got a new scanner and will scan the document as soon as I can
        figure out how it works and get it installed. I appreciate everyone
        that is so kind to help me out. You all are great People and make
        me very proud of my heritage! Deb

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        George
        > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
        >
        > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription
        of
        > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily
        trust the
        > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
        Focus
        > on what is most important . . .
        >
        > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
        >
        > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
        > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

      • chance_darkeyes
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
          Is Gyurta ...Durto in translation? I know nothing of g granmothers
          family, but I don't think anyone came to America, but her Mary/ Maria
          Durto Tkach and they came about 1908-1910 and George Tkach her husband.

          > You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.
          >
          > Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901
          >
          > Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
          > probably kin.

        • chance_darkeyes
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007

            George
            > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
            >
            > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription of
            > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily trust
            the
            > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
            Focus
            > on what is most important . . .
            >
            > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
            >
            > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
            > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

          • Frank R. Plichta
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007
              I'd like to clear up some terminology.

              There are no "Original Certificates". The "Original" record is recorded in
              a ledger style book. So all certificates are transcriptions of the original
              ledger book.

              While handwriting does change over time, the individuals who prepare the
              "transcribed certificates" do it all the time for all sorts of reasons. If
              anyone is best qualified to read the old cursive handwriting, it is the
              people who prepare the "transcribed certificates" for a living. Remember,
              they are also looking at the original record. Plus they are usually
              familiar with the names and rarely need to decipher unusual letters. While
              some records have not weathered the passage of time very well, you are still
              getting a "transcribed certificate" from the people who are most familiar
              with the records.

              Frank R. Plichta

              Galax, Virginia

              "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"