Re:Village and religion?????

  • The West's
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      Daughter Mary Tracs or Tkach. Spelled Geor Tracs Mary Durto Hungary They are all Catholic. Thanks Deb

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
        You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.

        Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901

        Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
        probably kin.
      • chance_darkeyes
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
          I just got a new scanner and will scan the document as soon as I can
          figure out how it works and get it installed. I appreciate everyone
          that is so kind to help me out. You all are great People and make
          me very proud of my heritage! Deb

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          George
          > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
          >
          > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription
          of
          > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily
          trust the
          > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
          Focus
          > on what is most important . . .
          >
          > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
          >
          > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
          > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

        • chance_darkeyes
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
            Is Gyurta ...Durto in translation? I know nothing of g granmothers
            family, but I don't think anyone came to America, but her Mary/ Maria
            Durto Tkach and they came about 1908-1910 and George Tkach her husband.

            > You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.
            >
            > Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901
            >
            > Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
            > probably kin.

          • chance_darkeyes
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007

              George
              > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
              >
              > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription of
              > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily trust
              the
              > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
              Focus
              > on what is most important . . .
              >
              > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
              >
              > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
              > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

            • Frank R. Plichta
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007
                I'd like to clear up some terminology.

                There are no "Original Certificates". The "Original" record is recorded in
                a ledger style book. So all certificates are transcriptions of the original
                ledger book.

                While handwriting does change over time, the individuals who prepare the
                "transcribed certificates" do it all the time for all sorts of reasons. If
                anyone is best qualified to read the old cursive handwriting, it is the
                people who prepare the "transcribed certificates" for a living. Remember,
                they are also looking at the original record. Plus they are usually
                familiar with the names and rarely need to decipher unusual letters. While
                some records have not weathered the passage of time very well, you are still
                getting a "transcribed certificate" from the people who are most familiar
                with the records.

                Frank R. Plichta

                Galax, Virginia

                "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"