I received my grandmothers birth certificate and Tkach is spelled Tracs on it

  • chance_darkeyes
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
      So I am really confused now. Because his immigration papers say
      George Tkach and Grandmother's birth certificate I finally found says
      father George Tracs and mother Mary Durta. I am so thankful that I
      can give her birth certificate to my granmother that is now 96, she
      never had it before. It took a whole month of tracing to find it.
      Again if anyone has anything on Tkach or Tracs or Durto please let me
      know. His papers say Hungarian! But he always used to talk about the
      Hapsburg Family, and this I remember as a child. Any help is
      appreciated. Deb
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
        >>> Grandmother's birth certificate I finally found says father George
        Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<

        Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription of
        a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily trust the
        spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read. Focus
        on what is most important . . .

        WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?

        Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
        certificate, can you scan or fax it?
      • The West's
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
          She was born in Black Top Mine, Guernsey County, Ohio and it is a copy of the orginial birth certificate. They photo copied it. Spelled Geor Tracs Mary Durto Hungary Thanks Deb

          Deb West

        • The West's
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
            Daughter Mary Tracs or Tkach. Spelled Geor Tracs Mary Durto Hungary They are all Catholic. Thanks Deb

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
              You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.

              Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901

              Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
              probably kin.
            • chance_darkeyes
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
                I just got a new scanner and will scan the document as soon as I can
                figure out how it works and get it installed. I appreciate everyone
                that is so kind to help me out. You all are great People and make
                me very proud of my heritage! Deb

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                  Is Gyurta ...Durto in translation? I know nothing of g granmothers
                  family, but I don't think anyone came to America, but her Mary/ Maria
                  Durto Tkach and they came about 1908-1910 and George Tkach her husband.

                  > You may find the following Ellis Island listing of some interest.
                  >
                  > Gyurta, Janos Szacza 26 1875 1901
                  >
                  > Janos was headed for Nanticoke, PA, just west of Wilkes-Barre. He is
                  > probably kin.

                • chance_darkeyes
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007

                    George
                    > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
                    >
                    > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription of
                    > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily trust
                    the
                    > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
                    Focus
                    > on what is most important . . .
                    >
                    > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
                    >
                    > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
                    > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

                  • Frank R. Plichta
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007
                      I'd like to clear up some terminology.

                      There are no "Original Certificates". The "Original" record is recorded in
                      a ledger style book. So all certificates are transcriptions of the original
                      ledger book.

                      While handwriting does change over time, the individuals who prepare the
                      "transcribed certificates" do it all the time for all sorts of reasons. If
                      anyone is best qualified to read the old cursive handwriting, it is the
                      people who prepare the "transcribed certificates" for a living. Remember,
                      they are also looking at the original record. Plus they are usually
                      familiar with the names and rarely need to decipher unusual letters. While
                      some records have not weathered the passage of time very well, you are still
                      getting a "transcribed certificate" from the people who are most familiar
                      with the records.

                      Frank R. Plichta

                      Galax, Virginia

                      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"