RE: [S-R] Re: Female Names in Church Records

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
      You are quite right about barbaros being Greek, not Latin.

      Another example is Jen�, which becomes Eugene in English. Eugene has a Greek
      derivation meaning well-born. But Jen� was one of the Seven Tribes that
      entered the Carpathian basin with Arpad.

      Gyula, which according to an article in Wikipedia, is "often associated"
      with the Latin name Julius, is also traced to a leader in that group in the
      10th century, either as a title or as a name, and is probably Khazar in
      origin.

      I cannot comment on Sandor/Alexander because I do not know Lajos Reich's
      reasoning. It may be that he was incorrect.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2007
        My son's name is Alexander and there are a few of his preschool classmates and teachers who refer to him as "Zander". Also, someone told me that the TV show Smallville (I think that was the one she said) has a Zander/Alexander.

        amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote: Janet, I am rather surprised at the opinion of Lajos Reich that
        Sandor/Alexander are not related but are based only on sound. My
        experience is that Europeans - rather, Germans - will take a first
        name and form the diminutive with the second syllable. Thus I know an
        Alexander who is called Sander and a Josef who is called Seppel.

        I have no basis for saying Reich is wrong, and I don't know his
        qualifications. In a neighboring nation the relationship seems to be
        different.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

        > Well, I would partially agree.
        >

        > According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
        http://www.otpalca.sk/, > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious
        derivation from Latin.

        > However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the
        records are
        > Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually
        "translated" > to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly
        different derivation.
        > According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the
        Hungarian > name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the
        Hungarian word for a > particular bush. He pointed out that many old
        Hungarian names were given > Latin (or English) equivalents only
        because of a similarity in the names, > not because of their actual
        derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
        > Gyula/Julius.
        >

        > Janet

        Melissa