[S-R] Re: Female Names in Church Records

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24 8:35 PM
      Janet, I am rather surprised at the opinion of Lajos Reich that
      Sandor/Alexander are not related but are based only on sound. My
      experience is that Europeans - rather, Germans - will take a first
      name and form the diminutive with the second syllable. Thus I know an
      Alexander who is called Sander and a Josef who is called Seppel.

      I have no basis for saying Reich is wrong, and I don't know his
      qualifications. In a neighboring nation the relationship seems to be
      different.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

      > Well, I would partially agree.
      >

      > According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
      http://www.otpalca.sk/, > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious
      derivation from Latin.

      > However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the
      records are
      > Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually
      "translated" > to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly
      different derivation.
      > According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the
      Hungarian > name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the
      Hungarian word for a > particular bush. He pointed out that many old
      Hungarian names were given > Latin (or English) equivalents only
      because of a similarity in the names, > not because of their actual
      derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
      > Gyula/Julius.
      >

      > Janet

    • jcotteret
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 25 12:03 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

        According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
        http://www.otpalca.sk/,
        > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.
        >

        > Janet,
        barbarian is not an "obvious" derivation from Latin, since it comes
        from Ancient Greek "barbaros" meaning "someone who mumbles, who speaks
        unintelligibly" ( sounding like BR..BR..BR).
        Have a nice day.

        Regards
        Jacques
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 25 3:54 AM
          You are quite right about barbaros being Greek, not Latin.

          Another example is Jen�, which becomes Eugene in English. Eugene has a Greek
          derivation meaning well-born. But Jen� was one of the Seven Tribes that
          entered the Carpathian basin with Arpad.

          Gyula, which according to an article in Wikipedia, is "often associated"
          with the Latin name Julius, is also traced to a leader in that group in the
          10th century, either as a title or as a name, and is probably Khazar in
          origin.

          I cannot comment on Sandor/Alexander because I do not know Lajos Reich's
          reasoning. It may be that he was incorrect.

          Janet

          _____

          According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
          http://www.otpalca <http://www.otpalca.sk/,> sk/,
          > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.
          >

          > Janet,
          barbarian is not an "obvious" derivation from Latin, since it comes
          from Ancient Greek "barbaros" meaning "someone who mumbles, who speaks
          unintelligibly" ( sounding like BR..BR..BR).
          Have a nice day.

          Regards
          Jacques

        • MA Bensh
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 26 7:56 AM
            My son's name is Alexander and there are a few of his preschool classmates and teachers who refer to him as "Zander". Also, someone told me that the TV show Smallville (I think that was the one she said) has a Zander/Alexander.

            amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote: Janet, I am rather surprised at the opinion of Lajos Reich that
            Sandor/Alexander are not related but are based only on sound. My
            experience is that Europeans - rather, Germans - will take a first
            name and form the diminutive with the second syllable. Thus I know an
            Alexander who is called Sander and a Josef who is called Seppel.

            I have no basis for saying Reich is wrong, and I don't know his
            qualifications. In a neighboring nation the relationship seems to be
            different.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

            > Well, I would partially agree.
            >

            > According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
            http://www.otpalca.sk/, > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious
            derivation from Latin.

            > However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the
            records are
            > Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually
            "translated" > to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly
            different derivation.
            > According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the
            Hungarian > name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the
            Hungarian word for a > particular bush. He pointed out that many old
            Hungarian names were given > Latin (or English) equivalents only
            because of a similarity in the names, > not because of their actual
            derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
            > Gyula/Julius.
            >

            > Janet

            Melissa