Re: [S-R] Re: Female Names in Church Records

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2007
      Hello:

      Here is a link to a website called BEHIND THE NAME: THE ETYMOLOGY AND
      HISTORY OF FIRST NAMES that I have found very helpful when trying to discern name
      origins and name variants, and whether a particular first name generally
      occurs within a certain language:

      _http://www.behindthename.com/_ (http://www.behindthename.com/)

      I have found it to be particularly helpful in understanding the common
      spelling of names under various languages.

      Best regards,

      David
      http://www.aol.com

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2007
        Hello:

        I also believe that Lajos Reich may be wrong. The website BEHIND THE NAMES:
        THE ETYMOLOGY AND HISTORY OF FIRST NAMES gives the name SANDOR as the
        Hungarian form of ALEXANDER.

        _http://www.behindthename.com/php/related.php?name=alexander_
        (http://www.behindthename.com/php/related.php?name=alexander)

        Best regards

        David
        http://www.aol.com

      • Bob Kocerha
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2007
          Hi Group,
          Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion regarding female names. Not only was it very helpful, but highly interesting. Proud to be a Slovak descendant.
          Bob Kocerha ._,___