Re: Female Names in Church Records

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
      >>> I also found a great-grandmother named Barbara. I find it strange
      that Barbara would be used as a Slovak name. Again, I would think that
      Barbara would be an English name. <<<

      In Slovak records, it depends upon the politics of the day. The name
      could appear in its Latin, Slovak or Hungarian form. Barbara, Borbala,
      Borka -- take your pick. Just like Michael, Michal, Mihaly. John, Jan,
      Joannes. All variations on the theme.

      Janko
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
        Well, I would partially agree.

        According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at http://www.otpalca.sk/,
        barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.

        However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the records are
        Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually "translated"
        to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly different derivation.
        According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the Hungarian
        name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the Hungarian word for a
        particular bush. He pointed out that many old Hungarian names were given
        Latin (or English) equivalents only because of a similarity in the names,
        not because of their actual derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
        Gyula/Julius.

        Janet

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
          Gordon,

          I believe your experience with the names "Pearl" and "Barbara",
          presuming that they "belong" to a specific and limited ethnic identity
          is quite common, and it is an experience we all go through as we
          discover the limits of our language and education. Most of us as
          Americans are limited to English, and the European history we are
          taught pretty well ends at the eastern French border, with a little
          coverage of Germany, and most of that history limited to warfare.

          Following up on the offered etymology links will broaden perspective
          and reveal many of these names are quite ancient and have many
          variations over time, cultures and languages. I want to say that we
          all go through this stage, but then again, there are many people who
          never do get so far, so take heart and keep digging!

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Grening" <tanbutts@...>
          wrote:

          > Question for the group. I have found the name Pearl among many of
          my > female German ancestors. Just seems strange to me since I would
          think > that Pearl would be more of an English name than German. Any
          thoughts > on why this would be such a common Germanic name back in
          the 1800's.

          > I also found a great-grandmother named Barbara. I find it strange
          that > Barabara would be used as a Slovak name. Again, I would think
          that > Barbara would be an English name.

          > <bill.tarkulich@> wrote:
          > >
          > > look here
          > > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-names.txt

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
            Janet, I am rather surprised at the opinion of Lajos Reich that
            Sandor/Alexander are not related but are based only on sound. My
            experience is that Europeans - rather, Germans - will take a first
            name and form the diminutive with the second syllable. Thus I know an
            Alexander who is called Sander and a Josef who is called Seppel.

            I have no basis for saying Reich is wrong, and I don't know his
            qualifications. In a neighboring nation the relationship seems to be
            different.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

            > Well, I would partially agree.
            >

            > According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
            http://www.otpalca.sk/, > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious
            derivation from Latin.

            > However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the
            records are
            > Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually
            "translated" > to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly
            different derivation.
            > According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the
            Hungarian > name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the
            Hungarian word for a > particular bush. He pointed out that many old
            Hungarian names were given > Latin (or English) equivalents only
            because of a similarity in the names, > not because of their actual
            derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
            > Gyula/Julius.
            >

            > Janet

          • jcotteret
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

              According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
              http://www.otpalca.sk/,
              > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.
              >

              > Janet,
              barbarian is not an "obvious" derivation from Latin, since it comes
              from Ancient Greek "barbaros" meaning "someone who mumbles, who speaks
              unintelligibly" ( sounding like BR..BR..BR).
              Have a nice day.

              Regards
              Jacques
            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
                You are quite right about barbaros being Greek, not Latin.

                Another example is Jen�, which becomes Eugene in English. Eugene has a Greek
                derivation meaning well-born. But Jen� was one of the Seven Tribes that
                entered the Carpathian basin with Arpad.

                Gyula, which according to an article in Wikipedia, is "often associated"
                with the Latin name Julius, is also traced to a leader in that group in the
                10th century, either as a title or as a name, and is probably Khazar in
                origin.

                I cannot comment on Sandor/Alexander because I do not know Lajos Reich's
                reasoning. It may be that he was incorrect.

                Janet

                _____

                According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
                http://www.otpalca <http://www.otpalca.sk/,> sk/,
                > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.
                >

                > Janet,
                barbarian is not an "obvious" derivation from Latin, since it comes
                from Ancient Greek "barbaros" meaning "someone who mumbles, who speaks
                unintelligibly" ( sounding like BR..BR..BR).
                Have a nice day.

                Regards
                Jacques

              • MA Bensh
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 26, 2007
                  My son's name is Alexander and there are a few of his preschool classmates and teachers who refer to him as "Zander". Also, someone told me that the TV show Smallville (I think that was the one she said) has a Zander/Alexander.

                  amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote: Janet, I am rather surprised at the opinion of Lajos Reich that
                  Sandor/Alexander are not related but are based only on sound. My
                  experience is that Europeans - rather, Germans - will take a first
                  name and form the diminutive with the second syllable. Thus I know an
                  Alexander who is called Sander and a Josef who is called Seppel.

                  I have no basis for saying Reich is wrong, and I don't know his
                  qualifications. In a neighboring nation the relationship seems to be
                  different.

                  Ron

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                  > Well, I would partially agree.
                  >

                  > According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
                  http://www.otpalca.sk/, > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious
                  derivation from Latin.

                  > However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the
                  records are
                  > Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually
                  "translated" > to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly
                  different derivation.
                  > According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the
                  Hungarian > name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the
                  Hungarian word for a > particular bush. He pointed out that many old
                  Hungarian names were given > Latin (or English) equivalents only
                  because of a similarity in the names, > not because of their actual
                  derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
                  > Gyula/Julius.
                  >

                  > Janet

                  Melissa