Female Names in Church Records

  • Bob Kocerha
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
      Hi Group,
      Researching the church records for the Lutheran church in Zehna I found frequent use of female given names as "Alka" and "Halsa". These were almost in the records prior to 1800 in the Latin writing. Does anyone have an idea what they stand for? Thanks in advance, Bob Kocerha

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
        look here
        http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-names.txt

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
          Thanks for the link reference Bill. I found it really useful. Saving
          it so that the names would line-up under the correct columns was a bit
          of a pain, but I finally figured out how to do it.

          Question for the group. I have found the name Pearl among many of my
          female German ancestors. Just seems strange to me since I would think
          that Pearl would be more of an English name than German. Any thoughts
          on why this would be such a common Germanic name back in the 1800's.

          I also found a great-grandmother named Barbara. I find it strange that
          Barabara would be used as a Slovak name. Again, I would think that
          Barbara would be an English name.

          <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

          > look here
          > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-names.txt

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
            You can always cut and paste files like that into excel and do text
            to columns and save as an xls file.

            Nick
          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
              Hi Gordon -

              have run across Barbora in Slovak geneaologies.

              helene

              <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

              > look here
              > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-names.txt

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                >>> I also found a great-grandmother named Barbara. I find it strange
                that Barbara would be used as a Slovak name. Again, I would think that
                Barbara would be an English name. <<<

                In Slovak records, it depends upon the politics of the day. The name
                could appear in its Latin, Slovak or Hungarian form. Barbara, Borbala,
                Borka -- take your pick. Just like Michael, Michal, Mihaly. John, Jan,
                Joannes. All variations on the theme.

                Janko
              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                  Well, I would partially agree.

                  According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at http://www.otpalca.sk/,
                  barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.

                  However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the records are
                  Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually "translated"
                  to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly different derivation.
                  According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the Hungarian
                  name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the Hungarian word for a
                  particular bush. He pointed out that many old Hungarian names were given
                  Latin (or English) equivalents only because of a similarity in the names,
                  not because of their actual derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
                  Gyula/Julius.

                  Janet

                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                    Gordon,

                    I believe your experience with the names "Pearl" and "Barbara",
                    presuming that they "belong" to a specific and limited ethnic identity
                    is quite common, and it is an experience we all go through as we
                    discover the limits of our language and education. Most of us as
                    Americans are limited to English, and the European history we are
                    taught pretty well ends at the eastern French border, with a little
                    coverage of Germany, and most of that history limited to warfare.

                    Following up on the offered etymology links will broaden perspective
                    and reveal many of these names are quite ancient and have many
                    variations over time, cultures and languages. I want to say that we
                    all go through this stage, but then again, there are many people who
                    never do get so far, so take heart and keep digging!

                    Ron

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Grening" <tanbutts@...>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                      Janet, I am rather surprised at the opinion of Lajos Reich that
                      Sandor/Alexander are not related but are based only on sound. My
                      experience is that Europeans - rather, Germans - will take a first
                      name and form the diminutive with the second syllable. Thus I know an
                      Alexander who is called Sander and a Josef who is called Seppel.

                      I have no basis for saying Reich is wrong, and I don't know his
                      qualifications. In a neighboring nation the relationship seems to be
                      different.

                      Ron

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I would partially agree.
                      >

                      > According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
                      http://www.otpalca.sk/, > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious
                      derivation from Latin.

                      > However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the
                      records are
                      > Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually
                      "translated" > to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly
                      different derivation.
                      > According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the
                      Hungarian > name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the
                      Hungarian word for a > particular bush. He pointed out that many old
                      Hungarian names were given > Latin (or English) equivalents only
                      because of a similarity in the names, > not because of their actual
                      derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
                      > Gyula/Julius.
                      >

                      > Janet

                    • jcotteret
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                        According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
                        http://www.otpalca.sk/,
                        > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.
                        >

                        > Janet,
                        barbarian is not an "obvious" derivation from Latin, since it comes
                        from Ancient Greek "barbaros" meaning "someone who mumbles, who speaks
                        unintelligibly" ( sounding like BR..BR..BR).
                        Have a nice day.

                        Regards
                        Jacques
                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
                          You are quite right about barbaros being Greek, not Latin.

                          Another example is Jen�, which becomes Eugene in English. Eugene has a Greek
                          derivation meaning well-born. But Jen� was one of the Seven Tribes that
                          entered the Carpathian basin with Arpad.

                          Gyula, which according to an article in Wikipedia, is "often associated"
                          with the Latin name Julius, is also traced to a leader in that group in the
                          10th century, either as a title or as a name, and is probably Khazar in
                          origin.

                          I cannot comment on Sandor/Alexander because I do not know Lajos Reich's
                          reasoning. It may be that he was incorrect.

                          Janet

                          _____

                          According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
                          http://www.otpalca <http://www.otpalca.sk/,> sk/,
                          > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious derivation from Latin.
                          >

                          > Janet,
                          barbarian is not an "obvious" derivation from Latin, since it comes
                          from Ancient Greek "barbaros" meaning "someone who mumbles, who speaks
                          unintelligibly" ( sounding like BR..BR..BR).
                          Have a nice day.

                          Regards
                          Jacques

                        • MA Bensh
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 26, 2007
                            My son's name is Alexander and there are a few of his preschool classmates and teachers who refer to him as "Zander". Also, someone told me that the TV show Smallville (I think that was the one she said) has a Zander/Alexander.

                            amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote: Janet, I am rather surprised at the opinion of Lajos Reich that
                            Sandor/Alexander are not related but are based only on sound. My
                            experience is that Europeans - rather, Germans - will take a first
                            name and form the diminutive with the second syllable. Thus I know an
                            Alexander who is called Sander and a Josef who is called Seppel.

                            I have no basis for saying Reich is wrong, and I don't know his
                            qualifications. In a neighboring nation the relationship seems to be
                            different.

                            Ron

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                            > Well, I would partially agree.
                            >

                            > According to the Slovak-English online dictionary at
                            http://www.otpalca.sk/, > barbar means barbarian and is an obvious
                            derivation from Latin.

                            > However, it would be important to know if the name forms in the
                            records are
                            > Slovak or Hungarian. The Hungarian name of Borbala is usually
                            "translated" > to the English name Barbara but may have a wholly
                            different derivation.
                            > According to the opinion of Lajos Reich several years ago, the
                            Hungarian > name Borbala or Borbolya probably derives from the
                            Hungarian word for a > particular bush. He pointed out that many old
                            Hungarian names were given > Latin (or English) equivalents only
                            because of a similarity in the names, > not because of their actual
                            derivation. Examples are Sandor/Alexander and
                            > Gyula/Julius.
                            >

                            > Janet

                            Melissa