Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 27 , May 31, 2000
      Ruth Ann,

      To add an idea to Maura's note: this is late to plan or follow through,
      but consider the time and money you have invested in the trip and how
      much you and your daughter want to do the research. Consider hiring aa
      professional genealogist for the day or for two half-days to show you
      where things are in the city and how to conduct the research. Adequate
      lead time would allow you to locate such a service and negotiate
      conditions and costs in advance. You are a little tighter on time, so I
      wish you well.

      Ron

      sabinov@... wrote:

      > Hello Ruth Ann and welcome to the list....
      >
      > Unfortunately, we get many queries on lists for any country where people
      > say they are going to the "old country" soon and want to do research
      > there. It will be difficult to do much if you haven't done the work to
      > trace the family in the US first, as that will tell you where and when
      > the family arrived etc. You can't "jump the ocean" without doing the
      > research where they emigrated to first.
      >
      > your best bet is to give her all the info you know now, and ask her to
      > keep her eye out and possibly visit the hometown if you know it there.
      > Maybe look at some cemeteries there. I honestly wouldn't spend time in
      > an overseas archive unless you're very familiar with how they work and
      > what you are specifically looking for. It might be a waste of her time.

      > Calling all BOOK CLUBS! Join beMANY! And pay less each month on
      > Long Distance. Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance rates
      > which fall automatically!
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 27 , May 31, 2000
        I have to say that I do not agree with the spirit in which the post below
        was written. Like many if not all amateur genealogists, I believe that the
        journey is as valuable as the destination.

        You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
        pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
        think it is more fun to do it the hard way.

        When you take the time and trouble to go through those church records
        yourself, which the LDS makes available at a truly nominal cost, considering
        that they are supplying the building, equipment, shipping, etc., you
        discover more than your own ancestors. You discover the world in which they
        lived. You see how a third of your little church group dies during a severe
        cholera epidemic. You see a parade of Hungarian nobility, Gypsies,
        peasants, artisans, soldiers, and others passing through the little village
        life cycle. You sense a lifetime encapsulated in the terse comments that
        are sometimes sprinkled on the page -- the sorrow when a man and his grown
        son die within a day and are buried in one grave. The joy when a brother
        and a sister marry their spouses on the same day (this happened
        frequently -- it must have been quite a party).

        And every so often, you hook a fish on your line.

        Message 3 of 27 , May 31, 2000
          YOU'RE 100% Correct. I have no argument with you. I
          just told Larry the way it was, it's a money driven
          world. I'm retired and have spent many hours
          researching, the pain is worth the gain. EVERTHING
          you say in this e-mail is correct. It's just a
          perspective so please don't take it personally!

          Chow (means bye!)

          http://click.egroups.com/1/4778/0/_/545880/_/959798668/

          http://click.egroups.com/1/4167/0/_/545880/_/959800101/

          http://click.egroups.com/1/4633/0/_/545880/_/959800881/

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • sabinov@webtv.net

            Message 5 of 27 , May 31, 2000
              GREG,
              YOU SAID,

              "The LDS churtch's My family.com business venture sells
              the CD I referenced.  I see it advertised on line and
              in their catalog.  The CD disk saves many hours of
              research which can be done at any LDS FHC.  Here's
              what I know about the LDS church's research."

              WRONG!!!! myfamily.com is owned and operated by ancestry.com a private
              venture and not associated with the LDS Church and is sold through that
              catalogue. I know this for a fact!!!!!

              The LDS Church doesn't make any money at all on any of their FHC. Just ask
              anyone who has volunteered and any local FHC throughout the world. As a
              matter of fact, the LDS Church spends more money trying to collect and
              microfilm information for all users of these facilities INCLUDING YOURSELF,
              GREG. The church also offers, for free, at their website which is
              familysearch.org and family tree program (YES, free). Most of their CD's
              that they have are reproductions of what they have collected (at their own
              expense) and produced to sell (at cost) only. The item you mentioned isn't
              one of theirs.

              HOPE THAT CLEARS UP EVERYTHING.....

              As for the rich part, what I know is that they have a tremendous tithing
              principle that all members in good standing participate in and they also
              expend a great deal of money on humanitarian efforts throughout the world.
              WHAT YOU SOW, YOU SHALL REAP.
            • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
              Message 6 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                Andrea,

                THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU!!!

                The LDS do a great service to all of us who are working on our ancestors ---
                My slovenian ancestors thank all of them who have labored in the Balkan's
                copying these materials. Afterall, they don't just miraculously appear on
                microfilm, the LDS send their own people to these foreign lands to do this
                tedious work --- for all of us!!!!

                Thanks for the nice words.

                Joy Johnson
              • helenezx@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                  In a message dated 5/31/0 7:46:26 PM, lkocik@... writes:

                  << I feel I have
                  exhausted all my resources online. >>

                  Hi Larry -

                  I have 2 listings for Kocik in Slovak Pride data base - does either ring a
                  bell as to your ancestor's place of origin? e mail me direct

                  Village & Cty Ancestor
                  Richnava SPIS Kocik
                  Spis. Hanusovce SPIS Kocik

                  helene
                • helenezx@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                    In a message dated 5/31/0 3:10:23 PM, Fillmanshome@... writes:

                    << ived near Prague in town called
                    Prostofui? odd spelling. >>

                    Could it be Proste~jov in Moravia - tho not near to Prague - immigrants often
                    said this . The ending could be a case ending.

                    Would be hard to look in the arichves without an actual place - records
                    aren't computerized by surname but by parish.

                    helene
                  • lkocik@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                      Greg
                      Thank you for the advice. I have an LDS church in the town I live in so I
                      think I'll check to see what they have. I wouldn't mind too much paying for
                      the disk if I knew it had what I was looking for.
                      Again, thank you
                      Larry
                    • lkocik@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                        Andrea
                        What a beautifull writer you are...The Zen is in the journey, and you
                        captured the true spirit of searching for our ancestors. I too want to know
                        the times and lifestyles as well as the cold facts.
                        Larry
                      • gregory lantay
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                          If you're looking for a rise or a fight - FORGET IT!
                          This is America!! We can speak and write freely. I
                          read your comments and have concluded "it appears you
                          enjoy getting into the mud with people" SHAME ON YOU!

                          Thank you for the correction about ancestry.com. What
                          I wrote was suppose to be a POSITIVE informative
                          opinioned comment. It appears that it was turned into
                          into a negative. SHAME ON YOU AGAIN.

                          Try to Relax ... and smile. You write like you've got
                          a grudge or chip on your shoulder. RELAX, you might
                          be taking things too seriously!!!!

                          Chow from Greg.. I wish you the best .. Jaw Johnson!

                          http://click.egroups.com/1/4517/0/_/545880/_/959815274/

                          http://im.yahoo.com/
                        • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                            Greg,

                            Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of the LDS) wrecks through
                            your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are just use to being in it
                            that it's all you can see.

                            I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative comments about the LDS their
                            efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our ancestors ---- and that was
                            all it was a simple correction to a mistake and chastening for your total
                            disrespect for others.

                            Peace to you!!!!

                            This is an end to something that our ancestors would be vehemently against.

                            Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be attached for defending a
                            group of people (LDS) from misinformation.
                          • gregory lantay
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                              A RESPONSE FOR EVERYONE TO READ:

                              How is this guy or gal? I myself have high regard for
                              the LDS church, its mission, and for 99.8% of its
                              members. I'm retired and have no problems at all, I
                              just like to say it the way it is - I'm sorry if what
                              I've said may have been misintrepreted! I live in
                              AMERICA (USA) and not in Europe or someplace else.
                              I'm not bashing anyone in particular, and especially
                              not the LDS church. JAWJOHNSON is the problem!!!

                              I don't believe I've said anything wrong or bad, nor
                              am I saying anything wrong or bad right now. I don't
                              know what your problem is? You're apparently taking
                              what I've written way out of context and have
                              interpreted it in some kind of weird way?? You're
                              reminding of a a weirdo I say on TTV briefly before I
                              tuned him out (his name was Howard Stern). Who are
                              you to judge anyone?

                              So STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Forget you! -
                              I HOPE THEY PULL YOU OFF THIS WEB-SITE or at least
                              slap your hand. I repeat myself, I have no problems
                              with anyone or anything except for the way some
                              individuals like jawjohnson put themselves above the
                              LDS church and everyone else by makeing judgments.
                              SO STOP IT!!!!

                              I'm now done with you! "please go crawl back under the
                              rock you came out from under".
                              Greg

                              --- Jawjohnson16@... wrote:
                              > Greg,
                              >
                              > Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of
                              > the LDS) wrecks through
                              > your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are
                              > just use to being in it
                              > that it's all you can see.
                              >
                              > I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative
                              > comments about the LDS their
                              > efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our
                              > ancestors ---- and that was
                              > all it was a simple correction to a mistake and
                              > chastening for your total
                              > disrespect for others.
                              >
                              > Peace to you!!!!
                              >
                              > This is an end to something that our ancestors would
                              > be vehemently against.
                              >
                              > Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be
                              > attached for defending a
                              > group of people (LDS) from misinformation.

                              > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for
                              > trying @Backup
                              > Get automatic protection and access to your
                              > important computer files.
                              > Install today:

                              http://click.egroups.com/1/4874/0/_/545880/_/959909511/

                              http://im.yahoo.com/
                            • Fred Corbett
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
                                verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
                                spelled different from what you expected.

                                Fred

                                Eric Haas wrote:

                                > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
                                >
                                > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                > > security number to find out more information about her?
                                >
                                > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                                > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

                                > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
                                > experiments.
                              • Kathleen Duvall
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                  > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                  > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                  > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                  > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                  > fingers do the walking. >

                                  How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                  information?

                                  I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                  her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                  all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                  They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.

                                  I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                  disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......

                                  As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                  many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                  on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                  Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                  only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                  the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                  Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                  brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937

                                  From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                  names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                  out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                  now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                  puzzle.

                                  And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                  my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                  Zsuzsa.

                                  I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!

                                  Kathleen in Florida
                                • Andrea Vangor
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                    Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                                    1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                                    > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                    > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                    > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                    > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                    > > fingers do the walking. >
                                    >
                                    > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                    > information?
                                    >
                                    > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                    > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                    > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                    > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                                    >
                                    > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                    > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                                    >
                                    > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                    > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                    > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                    > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                    > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                    > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                    > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                    > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                                    >
                                    > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                    > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                    > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                    > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                    > puzzle.
                                    >
                                    > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                    > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                    > Zsuzsa.
                                    >
                                    > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                                    >
                                    > Kathleen in Florida

                                    > Old school buds here:

                                  • Kathleen Duvall
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                      > You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
                                      > pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
                                      > think it is more fun to do it the hard way.>

                                      And there's the Eureka factor. Have you ever found that crucial piece
                                      of information and say Eureka! I have -- corny as I must have sounded,
                                      alone as I was. :) It's a great feeling.

                                      Kathleen in Florida
                                      researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                    • Brecosky
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                        Kathleen:

                                        I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                        south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                        can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                        this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                        connection!

                                        Anita B.

                                        SNIP
                                        > They settled in Pittsburgh
                                        SNIP
                                        > Kathleen in Florida
                                      • jallen50
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                          Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                          in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.

                                          Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                                          1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                                          > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                          > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                          > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                          > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                          > > fingers do the walking. >
                                          >
                                          > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                          > information?
                                          >
                                          > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                          > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                          > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                          > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                                          >
                                          > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                          > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                                          >
                                          > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                          > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                          > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                          > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                          > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                          > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                          > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                          > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                                          >
                                          > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                          > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                          > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                          > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                          > puzzle.
                                          >
                                          > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                          > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                          > Zsuzsa.
                                          >
                                          > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                                          >
                                          > Kathleen in Florida

                                          > Old school buds here:

                                          Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                                          more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                                          rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                                          http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/0/_/545880/_/960337979/
                                        • Kathleen Duvall
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                            > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                            > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                            > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                            > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                            > connection! Anita B.>

                                            Thanks so much Anita!

                                            I was born in Pittsburgh. My family moved to Arizona in 1956 --
                                            everyone still thought it was the land of opportunity, I guess! I love
                                            Pennsylvania and wish they had never moved.

                                            After WWII, my parents lived with my grandparents in a section of
                                            Pittsburgh that I think has since been torn down to make 3 Rivers
                                            Stadium. My husband and I were up there in 1994 trying to find the
                                            street they lived on and that I remembered so well, but even though it
                                            was on the map, we couldn't locate it anywhere.

                                            Just reminiscing.

                                            Kathleen in Florida
                                            researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                          • Kathleen Duvall
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                              > Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                              > in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.>

                                              Me too! I want to know too. :)

                                              Kathleen in Florida
                                              researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                            • Kathleen Duvall
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                                > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                                > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                                > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                                > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                                > connection! Anita B.>

                                                Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                                population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                                Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

                                                Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
                                                the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
                                                card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
                                                she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
                                                were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                                work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

                                                I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                                then (1911 and on)?

                                                I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                                wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                                a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                                security number to find out more information about her?

                                                Thanks so much!

                                                Kathleen in Florida
                                                researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                              • Eric Haas
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                                  Kathleen Duvall wrote:

                                                  > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                                  > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                                  > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                                  > security number to find out more information about her?

                                                  With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                                                  application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
                                                • Frank Kurchina
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
                                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
                                                    wrote:
                                                    > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
                                                    live just
                                                    > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
                                                    anything I
                                                    > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
                                                    only been on
                                                    > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
                                                    Pittsburgh
                                                    > > connection! Anita B.>
                                                    >
                                                    > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                                    > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                                    > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
                                                    >
                                                    > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
                                                    in
                                                    > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
                                                    Security
                                                    > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
                                                    assumed
                                                    > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
                                                    women
                                                    > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                                    > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
                                                    >
                                                    > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                                    > then (1911 and on)?
                                                    >
                                                    > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                                    > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
                                                    did have
                                                    > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
                                                    social
                                                    > security number to find out more information about her?
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks so much!
                                                    >
                                                    > Kathleen in Florida
                                                    > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                                                    Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
                                                    5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

                                                    http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
                                                    0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
                                                    23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                                    59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

                                                    http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
                                                    &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
                                                    =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                                    Social Security began in 1937.
                                                    If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
                                                    applied for her death benefit payments.

                                                    You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
                                                    The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
                                                    entered from the SSDI information.
                                                    The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
                                                    origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

                                                    Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

                                                    =>
                                                    1.Certificate of Arrival
                                                    (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
                                                    about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
                                                    individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
                                                    port of entry upon arrival)

                                                    2.Declaration of Intention
                                                    (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
                                                    of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
                                                    foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
                                                    embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

                                                    3.Petition for Naturalization
                                                    (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
                                                    names of two witnesses)

                                                    4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
                                                    (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
                                                    items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
                                                    souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

                                                    Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
                                                    her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
                                                    if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
                                                    to wait until after 21st birthday.
                                                    Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

                                                    Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
                                                    Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
                                                    Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
                                                    Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
                                                    were already living.

                                                    No green cards back then.