Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Zaras

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2000
      Eric,

      I take it as no big deal when someone says they are from Prague when
      they are really from a nearby town. When someone asks where I am
      originally from, I answer "Cleveland" without hesitation. It is only if
      they are interested or know the area that I will get more specific with
      area and town, 30 miles from Cleveland.

      Pisek is a charming town just a bit south of Praha and a bit east of
      Tabor, a fascinating historical town. If you ever have the chance, be
      sure to visit!

      As for shortening the name, I would speculate that that often happened.
      Ron

      Eric Haas wrote:

      > I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about the surname Zaras. I
      > believe the family came over from Bohemia sometime around 1900. One
      > ancestor indicated Pisek as his birthplace on his SS5. On every other
      > document I've checked, birthplaces are given only as Bohemia or
      > Czechoslovakia, with no town. However, one grandaunt seems to remember
      > being told that the family was from Praha (Prague) and her father being
      > addressed as Mr. "Zarasaba" so, maybe Zaras is a shortened form of a
      > longer name?

      > Get 2 FREE books at eHarlequin.com.Indulge in our romantic books,
      > recipes and getaway ideas. Take your romantic escape today to
    • Eric Haas