Re: [S-R] Re: Skultety surname

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2007
      Hi Helene:

      In RADIX, there is a answer to your question regarding the SKULTETY surname
      by a RADOVAN SKULTETY. His research has indicated that the etymology of the
      name is Latin in origin and based on the Latin word SCULTETUS (SCULTETI
      appears to be the plural). His answer was very interested, and there was a
      somewhat heated debate on RADIX boards.

      _http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:C8mviNOX3mQJ:www.radixforum.com/vezetekne
      vek/skultety/index.html+skultet&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&ie=UTF-8_
      (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:C8mviNOX3mQJ:www.radixforum.com/vezeteknevek/skulte
      ty/index.html+skultet&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&ie=UTF-8)

      If you do a GOOGLE search for SKULTETY and SCULTETUS, it appears that the
      words are related. See, for example,

      _http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kri%C5%A1tof_%C5%A0kult%C3%A9ty_
      (http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kri%c5%a1tof_%c5%a0kult%c3%a9ty)

      In my own research regarding various surnames and place names in Slovakia, I
      have found a number to be Latin in origin. With Latin being the official
      language of correspondence in the kingdom of Hungary until the late 18th
      century (around 1788 if my memory is correct), it should come as no surprise that
      some Latin words made it into the Slovak and Hungarian lexicons.

      Best regards,

      David Michael Baloga