RE: [S-R] (SR) Ket Egyhas

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
      Dear Milan,

      Kétegyháza is a town in Bekes megye, Hungary, about four miles from the
      Romanian border. It looks like LDS has really excellent microfilms for this
      town.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
        Dear Janet:

        Thank you very much for your help. Although not in Romania, this is
        probably the town that I am looking for.

        .

      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
          Hi Milan

          The name of the village kétegyháza literally means "two churches" in
          Hungarian. The word "két" in Hungarian means "two" and the word "egyház" means
          "church" in Hungarian. Interestingly, the word "egyház" meaning "church" in Hun
          garian is composed of two elements -- "egy" literally meaning "one" in
          Hungarian and "ház" literally meaning "house" in Hungarian -- thus the word for
          "church" in Hungarian signifies being of "one house." If you are curious about
          other Hungarian words, the best Hungarian-English dictionary that I've found
          online is at the following website:

          _http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian_
          (http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian)

          It has been very useful for me when trying to ascertain the meaning of names
          of villages and of persons.

          Best regards,

          David

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
            A friend asked if Skultety (in TURIEC COUNTY ) meant something other than just a surname.

            Can anyone help?

            helene