(SR) Ket Egyhas

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
      I found an old document that indicates that one of my ancestors came from a
      town called Ket Egyhas. This town was in Hungary and supposedly is now a
      part of Romania.

      Can anyone tell me what this town is called today?

      Milan Huba

      Visit Your Group
      Give Back
      Yahoo! for Good

      Get inspired

      by a good cause.

      Y! Toolbar
      Get it Free!

      easy 1-click access

      to your groups.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Start a group

      in 3 easy steps.

      Connect with others.
      .

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
        Dear Milan,

        Kétegyháza is a town in Bekes megye, Hungary, about four miles from the
        Romanian border. It looks like LDS has really excellent microfilms for this
        town.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
          Dear Janet:

          Thank you very much for your help. Although not in Romania, this is
          probably the town that I am looking for.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
            Hi Milan

            The name of the village kétegyháza literally means "two churches" in
            Hungarian. The word "két" in Hungarian means "two" and the word "egyház" means
            "church" in Hungarian. Interestingly, the word "egyház" meaning "church" in Hun
            garian is composed of two elements -- "egy" literally meaning "one" in
            Hungarian and "ház" literally meaning "house" in Hungarian -- thus the word for
            "church" in Hungarian signifies being of "one house." If you are curious about
            other Hungarian words, the best Hungarian-English dictionary that I've found
            online is at the following website:

            _http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian_
            (http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian)

            It has been very useful for me when trying to ascertain the meaning of names
            of villages and of persons.

            Best regards,

            David

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
              A friend asked if Skultety (in TURIEC COUNTY ) meant something other than just a surname.

              Can anyone help?

              helene