RE: [S-R] Doubts about church records KOKAVA

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
      First, It's not strange to see records kind of cobbled together. In many
      churches there were two sets of records kept, one local and one for the
      bishop. When collected by the Hungary government in 1895, some, not all
      came together in one place Again, not always.

      Second, different churches had different schemes for recording information,
      even though the higher ups had given specific instructions to the contrary.
      Rural churches were the most non-conforming. Often times, the b, m, and D
      records are separate sections, until they "run out of room" and have to
      start somewhere else.
      Third, not all records survived for a multitude of reasons. For every
      village there is probably a different explanation. Some may have been lost,
      some misplaced, some misfiled.

      These missing records are a clue, as you have eluded to. I am fairly
      confident that the FHL has recorded every church record the Slovak state
      archives has.

      Sometimes the priest indeed was gone for a few years, but that was about it.
      Have you looked at neighboring villages? According to the slovak state
      archive cross-reference, there are Reformed church records (of Kokava) in
      the Rimavska Sobota village records. This is in addition to the primary
      church records you have found. Have you looked there?

      See my other note on "family movements" with regards to answering your other
      questions about how far back church records go.

      You also need to look at the village history, to be certain some major event
      had not affected the village recordkeeping. I can send you the brief
      village history from "mesta a obce" if you want. I'm really quite busy
      right now and can't offer too much more of my time. I'd look locally before
      you try to cast your net too wide.
      If you can't find a village history, finding one of a nearby larger village
      or region can be helpful also.

      Your village was in GEMER (Gomor) county, Lom nad Rimavicou (Rimaszombati )
      district. Kokava was a pretty significant village in 1910 when these
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gomork.jpg maps were drawn. In that
      district was a village called Esztrény (see
      http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g124.shtml ) That's a wild goose, in my opinion,
      doesn't mean anything, but it's an idea. I still think it's an
      abbreviation.

      Many times abbreviations are local in origin. What time period did the
      "EST" abbreviation exist. Try to seek out possible word formations in
      Magyar or Slovak or whatever language the church books are rendered in. It
      sure seems like it would be "estimated". Can you can and post/mail a sample
      page? Sometimes seeing it reveals a lot more than a transcription.

      You are taking a lot of initiative and asking great questions.
      I wish my answers could be more "meaty." I'm really short on time to devote
      to forums for the next couple of months, but feel free to keep the questions
      coming, and remind me from time to time.

      Regards,

      Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
          If DRAVCI is the same village as DRAVTSI in UZHHOROD county, I have a
          book entry and 1996 photo of the church of the Nativity of the BVM, built
          in 1806. I would be happy to scan and email you a copy later this week.
          Source: Churches of Ukraine Zakarpattia, Syrokhman, 2000.
          That's all I have. I have no civil information on the village.
          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
            Yes Bill, this is the same village. Thanks for the offer of the photo of the Church, but that's not neccessary - a few years ago I hired a Slovak photographer, Milos Kraynak, to take some pictures of Dravci. Thanks for trying!!! Chris

            Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote: If DRAVCI is the same village as DRAVTSI in UZHHOROD county, I have a

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
              I presume you have the historical information on the church and need not
              that either then?
              Regards,
              Bill

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                All I have is that it was built in 1806 - if you have anything else, I'd appreciate it!!!!!!

                Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote: I presume you have the historical information on the church and need not

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2007
                  There are 2-3 paragraphs of history about the church (and undoubtedly the
                  village). It's written in Ukrainian. I can scan and send it to you
                  sometimes this week. Look for an email from me with an attachment
                  Tues/Wed. I hope I have your email somewhere. If possible, send me a
                  private message with your address.

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 10, 2007
                    DRAWCE = UNGDAROK

                    1910 Census
                    pop 1103: 754 magyar, 49 slovak, 297 Ruthene. 125 Roman C., 867 Greek C, 98
                    Jews

                    Bill

                    --
                    Bill Tarkulich