Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • gregory lantay
    Message 1 of 27 , May 31, 2000
      Good Morning:

      Carol & Greg Lantay from Elk Grove, CALIF have just
      read your inquiry. We to have relatives we can't
      find. Your daughter could literally spend her entire
      3 days looking for what you're asking for and never
      find it, Research the way you're wanting to go about
      doing it is very very time consuming and expensive
      (cost of trip/lodging/meals/transportation.

      There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
      you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
      extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
      cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
      fingers do the walking. No I didn't find my elusive
      grandfather on the list as I had speculated I
      wouldn't, but I did find the relatives listed that I
      had already obtained information about,

      I'm now tracing Canada as a large number of European
      emigrants came to America from Europe via Canada.
      Another source I'm checking are the manifests of
      ship's crews' available no where else but from the
      National Archives. Believe it or not many European
      emigrants couldn't afford the cost of passage not even
      in steerage class, so they worked their way to America
      as laborers on ships.

      Also, like in the movie Titanic, many people boarding
      ships used names other than their own. One last bite
      of information, 95% of the Europeans that came to
      America were religious and close to the church. I am
      now writing to every church with 5 miles of the known
      addresses of my ancestors. If you know anything about
      your families ancestors use the information wisely.
      Genealogy has been exciting for me but I've gotten off
      course too many times spending valuable time on money
      on people I should not of gone after in the hopes
      they'd lead me to my ancestors.

      Write me anytime at glantay@... and I'll share
      anything we've obtained or the techniques and ways we
      found successful.

      Gregory Lantay - Elk Grove, CA (not an LDS member but
      an appreciator of the church's records and willingness
      to help everyone/anyone).

      http://click.egroups.com/1/4473/0/_/545880/_/959782137/

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 27 , May 31, 2000
        Ruth Ann,

        To add an idea to Maura's note: this is late to plan or follow through,
        but consider the time and money you have invested in the trip and how
        much you and your daughter want to do the research. Consider hiring aa
        professional genealogist for the day or for two half-days to show you
        where things are in the city and how to conduct the research. Adequate
        lead time would allow you to locate such a service and negotiate
        conditions and costs in advance. You are a little tighter on time, so I
        wish you well.

        Ron

      • lkocik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , May 31, 2000
          Gregory
          Hello, my name is Larry Kocik. I am researching my genealogy. I feel I have
          exhausted all my resources online. Your letter caught my eye...when you
          mentioned the LDS cd. Is there a way to access the information it might have
          on my surname without purchasing the disc? If my ancestors knew that I was
          even considering spending $100.00 for information that I wasn't sure would be
          any good..they would be rolling over in their graves. I am willing to pay, I
          just can't come up with an extra $100.00
          I would appriciate any suggestions.
          thank You
          Larry Kocik
          ps My ancestors came from Slovakia between 1888 and 1910....maybe the disc
          doesn't cover those dates
        • gregory lantay
          Message 4 of 27 , May 31, 2000
            Hi Larry:

            The LDS churtch's My family.com business venture sells
            the CD I referenced. I see it advertised on line and
            in their catalog. The CD disk saves many hours of
            research which can be done at any LDS FHC. Here's
            what I know about the LDS church's research.

            The church uses their follower volunteers to look up
            everything which is not made readily available to us
            (the general public). We can access the information
            free by going to the LDS's FHC (family History
            Centers) However, research conducted at these centers
            can take hours even days or weeks. FACE IT, we live
            in a money driven world where there's no free lunch.

            What I'm saying is: WHAT IS YOUR TIME WORTH? Yes, it
            hurts dearly to pay money hungry meagers $100.00 for a
            disk you'll only use once, BUT - What's your choice?

            1: Find someone who has a CD disk that's willing to
            allow you to use it (SLIM CHANCE)!
            2: Do the research yourself (it'll definitely cost
            you more than $100.00 IN TIME-TRAVEL-FRUSTRATION).

            The Latter-Day-Saints (LDS)Church has a good thing
            going!. Why do you think the chucrh is so large and
            rich? The church exploits their followers and the
            public in the name of GOD to make itself bigger and
            richer. Don't take me wrong, the LDS church is run
            liek a business because it is a business. The church
            has its own policies, politics, philosphy, and ways of
            doing business dealings. That's just the way it is,
            they just do it better than anyone else and that's why
            they're as big and rich as they are!!

            Bit the bullet, buy the disk or you're on your own!
            What else can I say Larr? The truth often hurts.
            Greg
            --- lkocik@... wrote:
            > Gregory
            > Hello, my name is Larry Kocik. I am researching my
            > genealogy. I feel I have
            > exhausted all my resources online. Your letter
            > caught my eye...when you
            > mentioned the LDS cd. Is there a way to access the
            > information it might have
            > on my surname without purchasing the disc? If my
            > ancestors knew that I was
            > even considering spending $100.00 for information
            > that I wasn't sure would be
            > any good..they would be rolling over in their
            > graves. I am willing to pay, I
            > just can't come up with an extra $100.00
            > I would appriciate any suggestions.
            > thank You
            > Larry Kocik
            > ps My ancestors came from Slovakia between 1888 and
            > 1910....maybe the disc
            > doesn't cover those dates

            > Get 2 FREE books at eHarlequin.com.Indulge in our
            > romantic books,
            > recipes and getaway ideas. Take your romantic escape
            > today to

            http://click.egroups.com/1/4778/0/_/545880/_/959798668/

            http://im.yahoo.com/
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 27 , May 31, 2000
              I have to say that I do not agree with the spirit in which the post below
              was written. Like many if not all amateur genealogists, I believe that the
              journey is as valuable as the destination.

              You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
              pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
              think it is more fun to do it the hard way.

              When you take the time and trouble to go through those church records
              yourself, which the LDS makes available at a truly nominal cost, considering
              that they are supplying the building, equipment, shipping, etc., you
              discover more than your own ancestors. You discover the world in which they
              lived. You see how a third of your little church group dies during a severe
              cholera epidemic. You see a parade of Hungarian nobility, Gypsies,
              peasants, artisans, soldiers, and others passing through the little village
              life cycle. You sense a lifetime encapsulated in the terse comments that
              are sometimes sprinkled on the page -- the sorrow when a man and his grown
              son die within a day and are buried in one grave. The joy when a brother
              and a sister marry their spouses on the same day (this happened
              frequently -- it must have been quite a party).

              And every so often, you hook a fish on your line.

              > The LDS churtch's My family.com business venture sells
              > the CD I referenced. I see it advertised on line and
              > in their catalog. The CD disk saves many hours of
              > research which can be done at any LDS FHC. Here's
              > what I know about the LDS church's research.
              >
              > The church uses their follower volunteers to look up
              > everything which is not made readily available to us
              > (the general public). We can access the information
              > free by going to the LDS's FHC (family History
              > Centers) However, research conducted at these centers
              > can take hours even days or weeks. FACE IT, we live
              > in a money driven world where there's no free lunch.
              >
              > What I'm saying is: WHAT IS YOUR TIME WORTH? Yes, it
              > hurts dearly to pay money hungry meagers $100.00 for a
              > disk you'll only use once, BUT - What's your choice?
              >
              > 1: Find someone who has a CD disk that's willing to
              > allow you to use it (SLIM CHANCE)!
              > 2: Do the research yourself (it'll definitely cost
              > you more than $100.00 IN TIME-TRAVEL-FRUSTRATION).
              >
              > The Latter-Day-Saints (LDS)Church has a good thing
              > going!. Why do you think the chucrh is so large and
              > rich? The church exploits their followers and the
              > public in the name of GOD to make itself bigger and
              > richer. Don't take me wrong, the LDS church is run
              > liek a business because it is a business. The church
              > has its own policies, politics, philosphy, and ways of
              > doing business dealings. That's just the way it is,
              > they just do it better than anyone else and that's why
              > they're as big and rich as they are!!
              >
              > Bit the bullet, buy the disk or you're on your own!
              > What else can I say Larr? The truth often hurts.
              > Greg
              > --- lkocik@... wrote:
              > > Gregory
              > > Hello, my name is Larry Kocik. I am researching my
              > > genealogy. I feel I have
              > > exhausted all my resources online. Your letter
              > > caught my eye...when you
              > > mentioned the LDS cd. Is there a way to access the
              > > information it might have
              > > on my surname without purchasing the disc? If my
              > > ancestors knew that I was
              > > even considering spending $100.00 for information
              > > that I wasn't sure would be
              > > any good..they would be rolling over in their
              > > graves. I am willing to pay, I
              > > just can't come up with an extra $100.00
              > > I would appriciate any suggestions.
              > > thank You
              > > Larry Kocik
              > > ps My ancestors came from Slovakia between 1888 and
              > > 1910....maybe the disc
              > > doesn't cover those dates

              > > Get 2 FREE books at eHarlequin.com.Indulge in our
              > > romantic books,
              > > recipes and getaway ideas. Take your romantic escape
              > > today to

              > http://im.yahoo.com/

              > Hey Hobbyists- start saving on your Long Distance bills now!
              > Join beMANY!

            • gregory lantay
              Message 6 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                YOU'RE 100% Correct. I have no argument with you. I
                just told Larry the way it was, it's a money driven
                world. I'm retired and have spent many hours
                researching, the pain is worth the gain. EVERTHING
                you say in this e-mail is correct. It's just a
                perspective so please don't take it personally!

                Chow (means bye!)

                http://click.egroups.com/1/4167/0/_/545880/_/959800101/

                http://click.egroups.com/1/4633/0/_/545880/_/959800881/

                http://im.yahoo.com/
              • sabinov@webtv.net

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                    GREG,
                    YOU SAID,

                    "The LDS churtch's My family.com business venture sells
                    the CD I referenced.  I see it advertised on line and
                    in their catalog.  The CD disk saves many hours of
                    research which can be done at any LDS FHC.  Here's
                    what I know about the LDS church's research."

                    WRONG!!!! myfamily.com is owned and operated by ancestry.com a private
                    venture and not associated with the LDS Church and is sold through that
                    catalogue. I know this for a fact!!!!!

                    The LDS Church doesn't make any money at all on any of their FHC. Just ask
                    anyone who has volunteered and any local FHC throughout the world. As a
                    matter of fact, the LDS Church spends more money trying to collect and
                    microfilm information for all users of these facilities INCLUDING YOURSELF,
                    GREG. The church also offers, for free, at their website which is
                    familysearch.org and family tree program (YES, free). Most of their CD's
                    that they have are reproductions of what they have collected (at their own
                    expense) and produced to sell (at cost) only. The item you mentioned isn't
                    one of theirs.

                    HOPE THAT CLEARS UP EVERYTHING.....

                    As for the rich part, what I know is that they have a tremendous tithing
                    principle that all members in good standing participate in and they also
                    expend a great deal of money on humanitarian efforts throughout the world.
                    WHAT YOU SOW, YOU SHALL REAP.
                  • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                      Andrea,

                      THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU!!!

                      The LDS do a great service to all of us who are working on our ancestors ---
                      My slovenian ancestors thank all of them who have labored in the Balkan's
                      copying these materials. Afterall, they don't just miraculously appear on
                      microfilm, the LDS send their own people to these foreign lands to do this
                      tedious work --- for all of us!!!!

                      Thanks for the nice words.

                      Joy Johnson
                    • helenezx@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                        In a message dated 5/31/0 7:46:26 PM, lkocik@... writes:

                        << I feel I have
                        exhausted all my resources online. >>

                        Hi Larry -

                        I have 2 listings for Kocik in Slovak Pride data base - does either ring a
                        bell as to your ancestor's place of origin? e mail me direct

                        Village & Cty Ancestor
                        Richnava SPIS Kocik
                        Spis. Hanusovce SPIS Kocik

                        helene
                      • helenezx@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                          In a message dated 5/31/0 3:10:23 PM, Fillmanshome@... writes:

                          << ived near Prague in town called
                          Prostofui? odd spelling. >>

                          Could it be Proste~jov in Moravia - tho not near to Prague - immigrants often
                          said this . The ending could be a case ending.

                          Would be hard to look in the arichves without an actual place - records
                          aren't computerized by surname but by parish.

                          helene
                        • lkocik@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                            Greg
                            Thank you for the advice. I have an LDS church in the town I live in so I
                            think I'll check to see what they have. I wouldn't mind too much paying for
                            the disk if I knew it had what I was looking for.
                            Again, thank you
                            Larry
                          • lkocik@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 31, 2000
                              Andrea
                              What a beautifull writer you are...The Zen is in the journey, and you
                              captured the true spirit of searching for our ancestors. I too want to know
                              the times and lifestyles as well as the cold facts.
                              Larry
                            • gregory lantay
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                                If you're looking for a rise or a fight - FORGET IT!
                                This is America!! We can speak and write freely. I
                                read your comments and have concluded "it appears you
                                enjoy getting into the mud with people" SHAME ON YOU!

                                Thank you for the correction about ancestry.com. What
                                I wrote was suppose to be a POSITIVE informative
                                opinioned comment. It appears that it was turned into
                                into a negative. SHAME ON YOU AGAIN.

                                Try to Relax ... and smile. You write like you've got
                                a grudge or chip on your shoulder. RELAX, you might
                                be taking things too seriously!!!!

                                Chow from Greg.. I wish you the best .. Jaw Johnson!

                                http://click.egroups.com/1/4517/0/_/545880/_/959815274/

                                http://im.yahoo.com/
                              • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                                  Greg,

                                  Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of the LDS) wrecks through
                                  your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are just use to being in it
                                  that it's all you can see.

                                  I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative comments about the LDS their
                                  efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our ancestors ---- and that was
                                  all it was a simple correction to a mistake and chastening for your total
                                  disrespect for others.

                                  Peace to you!!!!

                                  This is an end to something that our ancestors would be vehemently against.

                                  Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be attached for defending a
                                  group of people (LDS) from misinformation.
                                • gregory lantay
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 1, 2000
                                    A RESPONSE FOR EVERYONE TO READ:

                                    How is this guy or gal? I myself have high regard for
                                    the LDS church, its mission, and for 99.8% of its
                                    members. I'm retired and have no problems at all, I
                                    just like to say it the way it is - I'm sorry if what
                                    I've said may have been misintrepreted! I live in
                                    AMERICA (USA) and not in Europe or someplace else.
                                    I'm not bashing anyone in particular, and especially
                                    not the LDS church. JAWJOHNSON is the problem!!!

                                    I don't believe I've said anything wrong or bad, nor
                                    am I saying anything wrong or bad right now. I don't
                                    know what your problem is? You're apparently taking
                                    what I've written way out of context and have
                                    interpreted it in some kind of weird way?? You're
                                    reminding of a a weirdo I say on TTV briefly before I
                                    tuned him out (his name was Howard Stern). Who are
                                    you to judge anyone?

                                    So STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Forget you! -
                                    I HOPE THEY PULL YOU OFF THIS WEB-SITE or at least
                                    slap your hand. I repeat myself, I have no problems
                                    with anyone or anything except for the way some
                                    individuals like jawjohnson put themselves above the
                                    LDS church and everyone else by makeing judgments.
                                    SO STOP IT!!!!

                                    I'm now done with you! "please go crawl back under the
                                    rock you came out from under".
                                    Greg

                                    --- Jawjohnson16@... wrote:
                                    > Greg,
                                    >
                                    > Your guilt for the negative comments (opinions of
                                    > the LDS) wrecks through
                                    > your words. I don't get into any mud --- You are
                                    > just use to being in it
                                    > that it's all you can see.
                                    >
                                    > I CORRECTED your MISinformation and negative
                                    > comments about the LDS their
                                    > efforts in helping all of us in our quest for our
                                    > ancestors ---- and that was
                                    > all it was a simple correction to a mistake and
                                    > chastening for your total
                                    > disrespect for others.
                                    >
                                    > Peace to you!!!!
                                    >
                                    > This is an end to something that our ancestors would
                                    > be vehemently against.
                                    >
                                    > Maura --- I apologize in advance, but, I will not be
                                    > attached for defending a
                                    > group of people (LDS) from misinformation.

                                    > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for
                                    > trying @Backup
                                    > Get automatic protection and access to your
                                    > important computer files.
                                    > Install today:

                                    http://click.egroups.com/1/4874/0/_/545880/_/959909511/

                                    http://im.yahoo.com/
                                  • Fred Corbett
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                      You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
                                      verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
                                      spelled different from what you expected.

                                      Fred

                                      Eric Haas wrote:

                                      > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                      > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                      > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                      > > security number to find out more information about her?
                                      >
                                      > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                                      > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

                                      > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
                                      > experiments.
                                    • Kathleen Duvall
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                        > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                        > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                        > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                        > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                        > fingers do the walking. >

                                        How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                        information?

                                        I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                        her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                        all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                        They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.

                                        I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                        disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......

                                        As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                        many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                        on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                        Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                        only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                        the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                        Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                        brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937

                                        From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                        names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                        out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                        now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                        puzzle.

                                        And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                        my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                        Zsuzsa.

                                        I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!

                                        Kathleen in Florida
                                      • Andrea Vangor
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                          Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                                          1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                                          > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                          > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                          > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                          > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                          > > fingers do the walking. >
                                          >
                                          > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                          > information?
                                          >
                                          > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                          > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                          > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                          > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                                          >
                                          > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                          > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                                          >
                                          > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                          > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                          > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                          > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                          > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                          > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                          > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                          > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                                          >
                                          > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                          > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                          > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                          > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                          > puzzle.
                                          >
                                          > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                          > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                          > Zsuzsa.
                                          >
                                          > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                                          >
                                          > Kathleen in Florida

                                          > Old school buds here:

                                        • Kathleen Duvall
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                            > You can buy fish on a slab of ice in the market, or you can spend hours on a
                                            > pier or in a boat fishing. Either way you get your fish. Personally, I
                                            > think it is more fun to do it the hard way.>

                                            And there's the Eureka factor. Have you ever found that crucial piece
                                            of information and say Eureka! I have -- corny as I must have sounded,
                                            alone as I was. :) It's a great feeling.

                                            Kathleen in Florida
                                            researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                          • Brecosky
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                              Kathleen:

                                              I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                              south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                              can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                              this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                              connection!

                                              Anita B.

                                              SNIP
                                              > They settled in Pittsburgh
                                              SNIP
                                              > Kathleen in Florida
                                            • jallen50
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                                Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                                in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.

                                                Have you checked the soundexed index for immigrants to New York -- it covers
                                                1911. Should tell you where to find the actual passenger manifest.

                                                > > There is no pie in the sky answer to resolve what
                                                > > you're desiring to obtain. The LDS church has an
                                                > > extensive listing of incoming emigrants on a CD, it's
                                                > > cost is $99.99 plus tax but it's like letting your
                                                > > fingers do the walking. >
                                                >
                                                > How extensive is it? Do you know where they obtained their
                                                > information?
                                                >
                                                > I don't even know where to start looking to where my grandmother and
                                                > her mother arrived. They came to the US from Hungary in 1911, that's
                                                > all I know. I would assume Ellis Island, but it's only an assumption.
                                                > They settled in Pittsburgh, so it could have been somewhere else.
                                                >
                                                > I would gladly pay $99 for the information, but I know I've been
                                                > disappointed finding other family members on FTM CDs, so.......
                                                >
                                                > As an aside, my Hungarian branch has been the most unknown, for
                                                > many reasons. My mother had done a lot of research before she died
                                                > on our ancestors going back to the American Revolution and on her
                                                > Welsh grandparents, but my father's family was very unknown. I've
                                                > only started digging and already have gotten great new records from
                                                > the US. Got my parents' wedding application and certificate, my
                                                > Hungarian grandmother's death certificate (died in the US), and her
                                                > brothers' applications for Social Security numbers in 1937
                                                >
                                                > >From these simple records I've found that I've gotten three different
                                                > names for my great-grandfather! Franz, Andy, and Joe!! But I did find
                                                > out my father had a different name on his birth certificate than he has
                                                > now, I found where my grandmother is buried -- each fact a piece of the
                                                > puzzle.
                                                >
                                                > And thanks to whoever provided the site on Hungarian names -- yes,
                                                > my grandmother's name really was Ilona and her mother's name was
                                                > Zsuzsa.
                                                >
                                                > I'm rambling, but thanks for all the good information!!
                                                >
                                                > Kathleen in Florida

                                                > Old school buds here:

                                                Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                                                more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                                                rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                                                http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/0/_/545880/_/960337979/
                                              • Kathleen Duvall
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                                  > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                                  > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                                  > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                                  > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                                  > connection! Anita B.>

                                                  Thanks so much Anita!

                                                  I was born in Pittsburgh. My family moved to Arizona in 1956 --
                                                  everyone still thought it was the land of opportunity, I guess! I love
                                                  Pennsylvania and wish they had never moved.

                                                  After WWII, my parents lived with my grandparents in a section of
                                                  Pittsburgh that I think has since been torn down to make 3 Rivers
                                                  Stadium. My husband and I were up there in 1994 trying to find the
                                                  street they lived on and that I remembered so well, but even though it
                                                  was on the map, we couldn't locate it anywhere.

                                                  Just reminiscing.

                                                  Kathleen in Florida
                                                  researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                                • Kathleen Duvall
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                                    > Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
                                                    > in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.>

                                                    Me too! I want to know too. :)

                                                    Kathleen in Florida
                                                    researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                                  • Kathleen Duvall
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                                      > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                                                      > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                                                      > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                                                      > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                                                      > connection! Anita B.>

                                                      Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                                      population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                                      Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

                                                      Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
                                                      the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
                                                      card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
                                                      she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
                                                      were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                                      work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

                                                      I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                                      then (1911 and on)?

                                                      I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                                      wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                                      a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                                      security number to find out more information about her?

                                                      Thanks so much!

                                                      Kathleen in Florida
                                                      researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                                                    • Eric Haas
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                                                        Kathleen Duvall wrote:

                                                        > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                                        > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                                                        > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                                                        > security number to find out more information about her?

                                                        With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                                                        application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
                                                      • Frank Kurchina
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
                                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
                                                          wrote:
                                                          > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
                                                          live just
                                                          > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
                                                          anything I
                                                          > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
                                                          only been on
                                                          > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
                                                          Pittsburgh
                                                          > > connection! Anita B.>
                                                          >
                                                          > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                                                          > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                                                          > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
                                                          >
                                                          > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
                                                          in
                                                          > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
                                                          Security
                                                          > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
                                                          assumed
                                                          > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
                                                          women
                                                          > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                                                          > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
                                                          >
                                                          > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                                                          > then (1911 and on)?
                                                          >
                                                          > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                                                          > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
                                                          did have
                                                          > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
                                                          social
                                                          > security number to find out more information about her?
                                                          >
                                                          > Thanks so much!
                                                          >
                                                          > Kathleen in Florida
                                                          > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                                                          Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
                                                          5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

                                                          http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
                                                          0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
                                                          23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                                          59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

                                                          http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
                                                          &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
                                                          =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                                                          Social Security began in 1937.
                                                          If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
                                                          applied for her death benefit payments.

                                                          You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
                                                          The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
                                                          entered from the SSDI information.
                                                          The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
                                                          origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

                                                          Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

                                                          =>
                                                          1.Certificate of Arrival
                                                          (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
                                                          about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
                                                          individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
                                                          port of entry upon arrival)

                                                          2.Declaration of Intention
                                                          (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
                                                          of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
                                                          foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
                                                          embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

                                                          3.Petition for Naturalization
                                                          (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
                                                          names of two witnesses)

                                                          4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
                                                          (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
                                                          items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
                                                          souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

                                                          Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
                                                          her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
                                                          if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
                                                          to wait until after 21st birthday.
                                                          Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

                                                          Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
                                                          Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
                                                          Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
                                                          Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
                                                          were already living.

                                                          No green cards back then.